DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,354
Default Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

http://scoop.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...other-classics
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I hated that song growing up. It always beat RUSH's "Closer to the Heart" on local radio stations top 100 rock songs of all time. :) It is a great song.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I hated that song growing up. It always beat RUSH's "Closer to the Heart" on local radio stations top 100 rock songs of all time. :) It is a great song.
I'm deeply offended. You must be wrong because you hated it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm deeply offended. You must be wrong because you hated it.
Ok buddy. I get your point. Do you ever take a day off of beating on me. Can't we just hug and make up. I take others opinions to heart. I realize this, and struggle constantly to keep a lid on it. I got beaten up in High School by this big black guy because he liked one team and I liked another, and I told him he was crazy to like the team he liked. I guess I should of learned that day. Thick skull I guess. :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,725
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Ok buddy. I get your point. Do you ever take a day off of beating on me. Can't we just hug and make up. I take others opinions to heart. I realize this, and struggle constantly to keep a lid on it. I got beaten up in High School by this big black guy because he liked one team and I liked another, and I told him he was crazy to like the team he liked. I guess I should of learned that day. Thick skull I guess. :)
I think Duncan is pulling your chain, because I can't imagine he likes Stairway at all. LOL.

Anyhow:

Great song
Way over played.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I think Duncan is pulling your chain, because I can't imagine he likes Stairway at all. LOL.

Anyhow:

Great song
Way over played.
The funny thing is I do like the song. The problem (like the rest of Zeppelin) is that it's hideously overplayed. I think 'Going to California' is a better song, mind.

Eck, sod it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Drummer Sarah's Avatar
Drummer Sarah Drummer Sarah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 167
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Pretty old now eh? Love the song but I, myself have overplayed it. I've overplayed my whole Led Zep collection to death. Can only listen to them now and again :-( Damn my obsessive side!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,725
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think 'Going to California' is a better song,.
Well, I actually agree with you there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

40 years! ...that's making me feel old....

Well to me "IV" is the best Led Zeppelin album.

I agree... a bit overplay everywhere... in "Wayne's World" it's written "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN" in the guitar shop...
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

In the 1990s I had to take a break from Zep because I had played them to death (as well as the radio stations). Now I listen in moderation, and can appreciate their music more. The last 2 minutes of Stairway is one of the best and most raucus segments of a rock song....ever.

In terms of where Stairway stacks up with the rest of their catalog, I'd put it 4th behind:

Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
Kashmir
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,870
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Yep, overplayed and thrashed to within an inch of it's life......yet I'll happily listen to it (again) anytime. Pagey at his absolute best!! I'll never tire of hearing that man play his guitar. I'm off to listen to IV....one more time. Happy 40th!
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2011, 03:56 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

"Does anyone remember laughter?"
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM
drum loops drum loops is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Wow, 40 years. It seems like it should be a lot shorter than that.
__________________
Drum Loops
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Skulmoski's Avatar
Skulmoski Skulmoski is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,301
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think 'Going to California' is a better song, mind.
You might like this version; I could listen to this all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLU08nOtUkc

GJS
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 AM
mxo721 mxo721 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ventura ca
Posts: 318
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

one year and 11 days ago, I was so sick of that song, I would turn it off, the second it came on the radio...now that I'vs been playing drums, I'm listening to the song in a whole different way. blaaaap blaaaap blaaaaap blaaaaaap!!! <----Bon ham triplets
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I think 'Going to California' is a better song, mind.
I'll have to agree too. Though I do like Stairway as well.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2011, 03:13 AM
SergiuM's Avatar
SergiuM SergiuM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 280
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

I actually really like The Battle of Evermore. Such a great song in my opinion. Misty Mountain Hop is awesome too.
__________________
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Skulmoski's Avatar
Skulmoski Skulmoski is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,301
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

Anyone know why Percy doesn't like to sing that song? I've read that he dismisses it because he wrote it when he was young and his feelings about that song no longer are the same. Pretty general; how about the specifics?

GJS
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

While the song was spoiled for me through overplaying, I'm glad young people are being exposed to one of the best arranged hit singles.

You don't really get "epics" in the Top 40 now - like Stairway, Bohemian Rhapsodym Classical Gas or Macarthur Park ... as for the latter, I never understood how people could be so turned off by a bit of fun melodrama that they'd overlook that fabulous arrangement. Always liked it.
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com