DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Default Powerstroke 3

Whats the big adoo about Remo PS3s? I dont get it. I bought 2 PS3 coateds with dots for my snare, and within 2 months, both of them were used up. Coatings gone! They sounded like crap from the start, nothing compared to an Evans Genera HD Dry. I just dont get it. There are people that are ready to die to defend PS3s, but I just dont see what makes them so good. Can someone shed some light on this subject for me please?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Powerstroke 3

I like the PS3 on my old mid 70s Gretsch COB snare.
I like the PS3 on my 16" and 18" bass drums as a batter.
On my wood snares I prefer the Evans G1 Power Center Reverse Dot
and I also like the Aquarian Focos-X coated.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

I honestly don't recall ever hearing anyone say they liked the sound of PS3s on a snare drum. Most PS3 adherents like them on their bass drums.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I honestly don't recall ever hearing anyone say they liked the sound of PS3s on a snare drum. Most PS3 adherents like them on their bass drums.
Indeed. I sing its praises to anyone who'll listen. But I've never used one as a snare or tom batter. Now as a batter and reso on a bass drum........that's a different story.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 AM
sticks4drums

I use one on my Signature Sonor snare and love it. The bonus is that it even looks good with my Black hardware. :) Try and learn early what I am still trying to learn. Let people like what they like. You don't have to understand it. Trying will just make you mad. Believe me I know. :)
Old 11-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I use one on my Signature Sonor snare and love it. The bonus is that it even looks good with my Black hardware. :) Try and learn early what I am still trying to learn. Let people like what they like. You don't have to understand it. Trying will just make you mad. Believe me I know. :)
Funny, I had it on my Sonor seemeless 14x6.5 Phonic snare, and it sounded good for about 2 weeks, then the coating wore off and the ring was unbearable. I even tried to tune the 2nd one down a bit, but once the coating wore off, it was just ridiculous with the ring. Then the moongel came out and I tuned the crap out of it til I dished it!

I havent tried one on my bass yet, Im pretty happy with my SK1 right now. But when I do need a new bass head, I will check one out. Luckily I used to take lessons from one of the guys that works in my local shop and he lets me try the different "new old stock" heads before I make a purchase hehehehe.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:57 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeatkeeper View Post
Funny, I had it on my Sonor seemeless 14x6.5 Phonic snare, and it sounded good for about 2 weeks, then the coating wore off and the ring was unbearable. I even tried to tune the 2nd one down a bit, but once the coating wore off, it was just ridiculous with the ring. Then the moongel came out and I tuned the crap out of it til I dished it!

I havent tried one on my bass yet, Im pretty happy with my SK1 right now. But when I do need a new bass head, I will check one out. Luckily I used to take lessons from one of the guys that works in my local shop and he lets me try the different "new old stock" heads before I make a purchase hehehehe.
I do not like ring at all in a snare. This is why I use the PS3. I am using this on a Danny Carey Bronze snare. A have had it for about 5 months now, and use it every day. The roughness of the coating is gone, but the coating is still on. Sounds great. Many guys take the roughness off when they buy a coated head just to give it a little more flexibility.
PS3 on a bass head is pretty much standard fare.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Doctor Dirt

I never used them on any drum other than a Bass. Since the Super Kicks were developed I don't use them at all to me they hold back a thin shell bass drum. I can see using them if the drum is going to be used for a low profile gig were you don't need volumn and you don't want to feather the thing all night long. Remo has a big winner when they developed that head theres no doubt about that. They wear fantastic and for me were superior to any other choice prior to Aq. SK One. I only use Remo heads on my snare batter but if I'm stuck in a pinch I have no problem slapping on a Remo head for any drum, they are a great company. Ever company comes out with a batch of heads that are slightly inferior then their normal run. I've had Amb. coated that held the coating and consistance and others that lasted less than a third of the time, it happens. The names of the kick drum heads are colorfull .........Power Stroke ......Super Kick....is there a Kick Butt? Doc.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

The only "name" player that comes to my mind who uses a PS3 on a snare is Steve Gadd. The general sound of the PS3 seems to fit his more signature recorded sounds.

I'm in the camp of those who like some ring and prefer to dampen mostly from a medium thin head. However, I have at least one drum that I have a Remo Coated Underside CS Dot on that sounds great. The dot is a bit of a ring modifier although not as much as a PS3.
I have a PS3 on my 80's Gretsch gum maple 22 inch bass drum. It's my first time using it but so far so good.

I also agree with Doctor Dirt that all manufacturers have bad runs and I speak from experience.

That being said, whether I favor the sound of them for the drum I'm using or not ( I use all big 3 on different drums/snares), Aquarian is tops as far as coating durability. If you liked the initial sound of the PS3, you might like a Super 2 with a Studio X ring or for even more control a coated Focus X. The latter would be a bit more controlled (dampened) so if you don't want much ring try that one first.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

i don't know...my local store dude offered me one like it was the thing to get. clear, uncoated at that....he's never steered me wrong on other tips, but i declined in favor of coated Emperor, but looking back i think i should have tried it. he usually knows what i want.