DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Default New Heads

Hey everyone,
I was looking to get new heads for my Pearl Vision series set, which still has the stock heads after a few years! I recently bought an Evans hazy snare head, and am pretty much set on evans. However, how am I to know which heads are the best, if I cannot test them out? Would I just do some research online and hear opinions, or could I actually go into stores and test them out? Feedback is much appreciated!
~M
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Heads

The only way to 'try out' heads is if you go into a drum store or department and they are already installed on drums the store is OK with you playing or hitting.

The next best thing is to hear another (live) player use heads you are considering. Recorded drum sounds won't help as the amount of processing that happens on a typical drum recording highly colors everything.

If you go to a small to medium size venue (club, party, jam session, etc.) you can listen to what another player's doing and then politely ask if you can take a closer look at his\her head choice.

Look through this area (Heads and Sticks) and compare discussions in light of what you are doing with your playing. Is it Rock? Metal? Punk? Alt Folk? Traditional Jazz? Techno? Players in different genres will go for different types of heads.

Head manufacturers are usually a personal choice and many such as myself will mix the brands as well as change up every so often. You may see some 'passionate' talk about brands. IMHO the big three, Remo, Evans and Aquarian all have quality products so using any or all of them will give you the potential for great sound.

ANY off the shelf, name brand head will be an improvement on the stock heads. I would highly encourage you to change out the resonant heads as well as the batter heads. Just going from stock to new gives the potential of your kit sounding brand new and better than ever as long as they are tuned well.

You can also check out some YouTube videos of people comparing heads. That might be helpful as well.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Thanks for that. Yeah, I've been doing that, but I also feel that to be the one producing the sound and getting the feel for the head/drum personally is a little different. I am mostly into alt/rock kinds of music, but I try to dabble in everything, so I am looking for a fat, raw, punchy sound. I have some youtube vids of pros testing them out, but there are so many options, i am not sure! I actually was planning on switching out both sets of heads once I decide, yes, so that I can get that even tone. I guess its just trial and error. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabiankid34 View Post
Thanks for that. Yeah, I've been doing that, but I also feel that to be the one producing the sound and getting the feel for the head/drum personally is a little different. I am mostly into alt/rock kinds of music, but I try to dabble in everything, so I am looking for a fat, raw, punchy sound. I have some youtube vids of pros testing them out, but there are so many options, i am not sure! I actually was planning on switching out both sets of heads once I decide, yes, so that I can get that even tone. I guess its just trial and error. Thanks for your feedback!
Sure.

My .02
If the head choices are a bit overwhelming to pick through then go with the more common head choices. There's a reason why basic strategies seem to show up. The most basic and common combo out there used by pros and amateurs, live and recording is a single ply coated batter with single ply clear resonant. Almost equally popular is a 2 ply coated/single ply clear combo especially for rock. Here are some examples:

BTW: This is just for toms. Snare and bass drum have different options although you could use very similar combos.

BATTER\RESONANT
Single ply combo
Remo coated Ambassador\Remo Clear Ambassador
Evans Coated G1\Evans Clear G1
Aquarian Satin Texture coated\Classic Clear

Two ply combo
Remo coated Emperor\Remo Clear Ambassador
Evans Coated G2\Evans Clear G1
Aquarian Super 2 or Response 2 coated\Classic Clear

Next most popular would be all clear versions (no coated) of the combos above.

Of course, there's a ton of other tom choices. I'm just trying to give the most basic traditional references to start with. Most pro players can comfortagbly use one of the combos above even if they endorse or regularly use more specialized heads. (Powerstroke 3's Fiberskyn, EC2's, G Pluses, Studio X, New Orleans, Jack DeJohnette, etc)

Jim

Jim Martin Music