DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Possible Noob

Hello All.
Like others here, I'm in my Mid-Forties. It could be a Mid-Life thing, I'm not sure yet. I was considering purchasing a set of Electronic drums and learn the art.
I live in a Townhouse so I don't want to "Wake up the neighbours" so to speak, so I thought "Edrums" (Being short for electronic I hope) would be a good place to start.

I happened to see an ad for a set of DDRUM DD1's posted in a store on the GTA. Price tag is $550.00 Cdn.

I like the "Look" of the set. Not sure about the quality.
Any input would be greatly appreciated (Good or bad).
Is this a good place to start? Can the set be upgraded later on? For example, can I purchase a better module later on?

Looking forward to your opinions.
Cheers
Ian
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Possible Noob

From my experience (which is very limited) I think that you would be much better off with the Yamaha DTXplorer. DDrum is a sort of shaky brand as far as reputation is concerned, but I've never heard of any one having any problems with Yamaha.

Here is a video of the DTXplorer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzW07-m7iMM

I know that it's basically a commercial but I've used this kit a little bit, so I can vouch for the accuracy of the sound.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Being from the same general area as you I would recommend checking out kijiji in the GTA. For that price range you can pick up a decent Roland or Yamaha kit. I'd also have to agree with the opinion of the DDrum kit. I got myself a Roland kit, but the Yamaha folds up nicely, if space is an issue too.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
Being from the same general area as you I would recommend checking out kijiji in the GTA. For that price range you can pick up a decent Roland or Yamaha kit. I'd also have to agree with the opinion of the DDrum kit. I got myself a Roland kit, but the Yamaha folds up nicely, if space is an issue too.
Thanks for the tip. I checked out Craigslist and Kijiji. I found several sets in the GTA, although I'm leary about buying since I'm new and don't want to get screwd. Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying a used set?

Here are a few of the sets I saw with Prices:
Roland HD1 $520.00
Alesis DM5 $400.00 and another $350.00
Yamaha DTXplorer $600.00
Roland TD7 $350.00 This is a 10 piece system.
ION Pro Session $300.0

Appreciate your opinions.

Cheers
Ian
Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Have a look on youtube, do a search for these kits and see if you even like the sound of them first. I picked up a Roland TD-3 with a PM 10 monitor for $400, the deals are out there just be patient looking for them. One thing I would suggest, a mesh pad for a snare its a little more forgiving so less stress on the wrists than the rubber.

When you go to look at gear make sure all the pads work, most snare pads are 2 zone (a different sound on the edge of the pad and middle), make sure they both work, same with cymbals (ride may be 3 zones). Cymbals on lower end Roland kits are notorious for failing, particularly the cy8 model. Have a look at the racks, make sure they are sturdy and all the hardware is there, they tend to shake bolts and screws loose. Cables, make sure they are all there and working. The kick drum pad. If they have been using a felt beater on the pedal it can really rip up those pads, have a look to see that it isn't on the verge of developing a hole. I would also suggest doing a search on the web for V Drum or E Drum related forums, there is a huge knowledge base there.

good luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
Have a look on youtube, do a search for these kits and see if you even like the sound of them first. I picked up a Roland TD-3 with a PM 10 monitor for $400, the deals are out there just be patient looking for them. One thing I would suggest, a mesh pad for a snare its a little more forgiving so less stress on the wrists than the rubber.

When you go to look at gear make sure all the pads work, most snare pads are 2 zone (a different sound on the edge of the pad and middle), make sure they both work, same with cymbals (ride may be 3 zones). Cymbals on lower end Roland kits are notorious for failing, particularly the cy8 model. Have a look at the racks, make sure they are sturdy and all the hardware is there, they tend to shake bolts and screws loose. Cables, make sure they are all there and working. The kick drum pad. If they have been using a felt beater on the pedal it can really rip up those pads, have a look to see that it isn't on the verge of developing a hole. I would also suggest doing a search on the web for V Drum or E Drum related forums, there is a huge knowledge base there.

good luck.
Thanks for your help Linchpin. I appreciate the time and info. I have a good idea what to look for. I'll check out the Vdrum and Edrum related forums as well.

Cheers
Ian
Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
nhzoso

Like you I started drumming 6 yrs ago at 39.(never to late btw) I started with acoustic kit and just last week purchased my 1st E-kit. I was leary of buying used also and purchased a nice floor model roland TD-4 with mesh pads all the way around and a 3 yr full warranty for $1100us.

A little more than I wanted to spend but the piece of mind is worth it to me.Plus GC has a great no interest if paid off in 12months promotion going on. I tried simmons, Alesis, Yamaha, and Roland and to me the Roland always felt better.

I do not know much about ddrum e-kits but have heard good things about their acoustic kits.

I do not think e-kits hold their value as well as acoustic kits unless you buy the $3000 and up kits so if you buy a new one and do not stick with it chances are you will take a small hit depending on what you get. Then again if you buy a used kit with problems or is cheap to begin with then maybe you will quit playing just because it's a crappy set and the sound/triggers do not work properly.

I would recommend getting a new Roland kit. You can get a very nice one for around $700.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Another one to take a look at might be the Traps E500.

It looks like it's in your price range and has full size mesh pads all round to give an "acoustic" feel.

It looks well built. Metal hardware etc, and has a proper hi-hat system.

I don't own an electronic kit but have played this one and I can't fault it for the price.