DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Default If I was rich I would buy Remo

These heads seem to wear out so fast I can't turn around before there's a gaping clear spot in my coated heads.

I've had lots of other heads from different manufacturers that last twice as long if not longer. What's the deal?

Anyways, just needed to rant because once again it's time to replace my snare head (I've only played on it intermittently for the past 6 months, recorded one song, and practiced maybe 20 hours on it).

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: If I was rich I would buy Remo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
These heads seem to wear out so fast I can't turn around before there's a gaping clear spot in my coated heads.

I've had lots of other heads from different manufacturers that last twice as long if not longer. What's the deal?

Anyways, just needed to rant because once again it's time to replace my snare head (I've only played on it intermittently for the past 6 months, recorded one song, and practiced maybe 20 hours on it).
Same here, if I am playing regular I can only get about a month out of remo, maybe 2 or 3 out of evans but I can get at least 9 months to a year out of a set of aquarian, plus they cost less and I think they sound better anyway.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Same here, if I am playing regular I can only get about a month out of remo, maybe 2 or 3 out of evans but I can get at least 9 months to a year out of a set of aquarian, plus they cost less and I think they sound better anyway.
AGREED!! :-)

I love Aquarians too.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Guys I have question, I just recently bought a set of ludwig accent , I am a beginner but the heads on this set are horrible , even though I am a beginner I know they sound like crap. They have a boing sound to them on the toms and floor tom , I was thinking of replacing the heads with Remo emperors coated , do you guys know what I should put on the bottom , I like that warm sound I play mostly rock , just want to make these sound really good any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone247 View Post
Guys I have question, I just recently bought a set of ludwig accent , I am a beginner but the heads on this set are horrible , even though I am a beginner I know they sound like crap. They have a boing sound to them on the toms and floor tom , I was thinking of replacing the heads with Remo emperors coated , do you guys know what I should put on the bottom , I like that warm sound I play mostly rock , just want to make these sound really good any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Clear Ambassadors for the resonant side should sound great under the coated Emperors I just put a set of Coated "Vintage" Emperor's on my EPIC's & they sound better to my ears than the regular Emperor's the Vintage Emp. are a thicker head than the regular Emp. they're more deeper sounding IMO..Good Luck

Bonzolead
Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Methinks there's a technique issue here. I've played Remo for decades now and I've never eaten through heads like you're describing. On my current gig with Disney we have the snare drum outfitted with a white coated ambassador and it gets pounded for 90-minutes a day with Vic Firth MS4 sticks and after a month it still hasn't died. What's up?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
Then sell them to Larry, seriously, he rubs them until they're naked in the middle, or maybe that was something else. I'll get my coat ;)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Doctor Dirt

You get some batches of heads that aren't as good as others when you mass produce like a coated remo head is. Its always been like that except it happens sooner it seems now a days. I was using the Aq. Jack Dejonette (sp. sorry Jack) black coated head when it first came out the damn thing lasted 6 months without a spec of coating coming off. Wow what a great head!!! The next one lasted about the same the next not quite 4 months then down to 3. What happened to these killer heads?? Someone changed something in the process and there went the longevity, so I was told. Obviously the companies need sales because with our technical abilities today I have a feeling they could make a 3 year coated head hahahaha!!! or a life time one for 399.00 HA! Doc
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
You get some batches of heads that aren't as good as others when you mass produce like a coated remo head is. Its always been like that except it happens sooner it seems now a days. I was using the Aq. Jack Dejonette (sp. sorry Jack) black coated head when it first came out the damn thing lasted 6 months without a spec of coating coming off. Wow what a great head!!! The next one lasted about the same the next not quite 4 months then down to 3. What happened to these killer heads?? Someone changed something in the process and there went the longevity, so I was told. Obviously the companies need sales because with our technical abilities today I have a feeling they could make a 3 year coated head hahahaha!!! or a life time one for 399.00 HA! Doc
You may have hit the nail on the head....er ..I mean ...head.....I think you've got it.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

It does seem like you guys over there are playing totally different Remo heads. Both of my main kits are currently equipped fully with Remo heads and I've never had a problem with excessive wear or bad heads. The Ambassadors on my ply Tamburo are fine (and have been on there longer that I care to admit) and the Fiberskyns on my Bop-conversion Export are great and they've been on there over a year.

Even when I was first playing I never had a significant problem with coating on any of the heads I've played, Evans or Remo. I hear about these problems and it just doesn't match up with my experience.

With that said, I've had some very poor Vic Firth sticks in the past but they've improved again. So it's not all good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Simply play your heads as long as you want to .... or not.
I know cats who change snare heads, every "other" gig ... tom heads they keep on their kits a little longer.
Other guys, maybe 6 months, for a snare head ..... and toms and bass, change once a year.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
It does seem like you guys over there are playing totally different Remo heads. Both of my main kits are currently equipped fully with Remo heads and I've never had a problem with excessive wear or bad heads. The Ambassadors on my ply Tamburo are fine (and have been on there longer that I care to admit) and the Fiberskyns on my Bop-conversion Export are great and they've been on there over a year.

Even when I was first playing I never had a significant problem with coating on any of the heads I've played, Evans or Remo. I hear about these problems and it just doesn't match up with my experience.

With that said, I've had some very poor Vic Firth sticks in the past but they've improved again. So it's not all good luck.
Duncan, I don't think we get different heads over here.

Honestly I laugh every time I read one of these threads. I've used Remo coated heads for 35 years and have never had a meaningful problem with the coating.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Duncan, I don't think we get different heads over here.

Honestly I laugh every time I read one of these threads. I've used Remo coated heads for 35 years and have never had a meaningful problem with the coating.
I think we all have Rose colored glasses when it comes to our favorite stuff. 8)
Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I think we all have Rose colored glasses when it comes to our favorite stuff. 8)
Either that, or good technique and realistic expectations.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Either that, or good technique and realistic expectations.
:-)

Remo heads are good for me.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Administrator

You could always do what I did to my Evans heads. NOT AN EVANS FLAW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxApqQ2ks6M
Old 10-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I've had issues with Remo's coating since 1964. The evans coating lasts 5 times longer.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

And if I posted a pic of every Remo head I've used on which the coating DIDN'T come off, it would fill pages and pages! And it would be boring as hell!

I guess my point is, we like the heads we like. I laugh that coating on X, Y, or Z head is repeatedly considered thread-worthy material. I guess I'm just getting cynical and keep hoping people come up with something new and interesting.

Think I'll get off the board and go play a while.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

One foot in the poor house.........and still buying Remo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I hear about these problems and it just doesn't match up with my experience.
Likewise.