DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-04-2011, 01:06 AM

Default Electronic kit VS. Drum mutes

Hello everyone.

I'm living in an apartment and unable to play on an acoustic set do to the noise they create. If I buy an electronic kit, it will likely be the Roland TD4KX2 which retails at about $1,500. That's a whole lot of money but I don't care to spend money on anything not worth owning and this particular kit has been well recieved. Would I be better off buying a cheaper acoustic set and using drum mutes? How do the two compare? I understand that mutes kill rebound entirely but I'm far more concerned with the noise factor. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Electronic kit VS. Drum mutes

I have only messed around with mutes a little bit, all I do know is they were still noisy, probably too much for an apartment, it depends on what your neighbors are willing to endure I guess, and there are mesh heads as well.
The Roland TD4 (with rubber tom heads and mesh snare like mine) is on sale right now at GC for $799 with an additional 15% off with the on line coupon, but you have to get an amp pedal and throne still.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:08 AM

If you are upstairs, an e-kit will still be too loud for those below you. They will hear it.

I haven't had an acoustic kit in a long time, but when i did (mid 90s) the mutes were not that effective. I live in a house, and I used to play (before baby #2) on my roland td3 around 11pm in my living room while my wife and 2 year old slept without an issue from my playing.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 AM

So, I've run out of resolve to be inconsiderate to my neighbors. I live in an apartment, too.

The anxiety I had over playing my kit was so bad for a while, I didn't play it at all. I only played in the rehearsal studio. But, when the band I was in disbanded, it made zero sense to keep renting studio time just to play when I had a better kit at home ... so I just grit my teeth and played during humane hours and told myself I was being as good a neighbor as possible, as good as a drumming neighbor could be.

Today, though, I had a battle with my upstairs neighbor. He blasted his music in response to my playing. Kind of just deserts because I used to play to combat the loudness of his music ... but I'm not the #$%head that he is, so I take no relish in the reversal.

Long story long, I decided to try and mute my drums. I wracked my brain over sets of mutes, and did some searches and responded to the prices with a big "pffft." It galls me that anyone charges what they do for some neoprene already cut to shape, with a logo stamped on it.

Because of Hurricane Irene, I bought a couple rubber drain stopper pads. I had the epiphany to throw one on my 14" floor tom and hit the bugger. Thud. Worked like a charm. I could still hear the note of the drum without it resounding.

The two drain stoppers will work just fine for my floor toms, but I need something less large for my rack toms (8, 10 and 12). I was thinking of buying a mouse pad and cutting it up. Making some rings to fit around the bells of my cymbals and some pieces to sit inside the lower lip of the tom hoops.

I keep my notebook on the snare, anyway, and it's a great mute. I still get snare attack without the volume ... and I can read my notation. :)

Anyway, just wanted to share.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Mesh top skins are quite nice though they are a bit more bouncy than mylar - you still get the note from the bottom skin and I wouldn't say they are silent but with some acoustic treatment to the room you'd probably get away with them.

If you have the spare moola something like a TD-9 with mesh skins will save you the trouble of swapping the skins on your a-kit constantly....
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Whenever I see the question of eKit vs aKit pop up, I think people should consider what their intended end result is. We've stated it time and again, that electronic drum kits are different from acoustic kits. So regardless of getting the mandatory feedback of simulated acoustic drum sounds back from a set of pads, you technique is slightly different to play the pads.

As you know on an acoustic drumset, so much of your technique is required to make the instrument sound good. And practicing rudiments is alot less than ideal on electronic pads. If your aim is to be able to take your acoustic kit out and play with a band, then I would say the electronic kit is not going to be of any help. If your intention is to play the electronic kit with a band, then there's your answer on that score.

Now, you're talking $1500 for an electronic kit. Did you know you can get a Pearl Rhythm Traveler practice kit with mesh heads for under $500? Or better yet, you can get a Sonor Safari for $330, and tag on another $70 for mesh heads. That's even better because you only spent $400, and you have a little jazz kit you can use as well!

But if you're just asking so we can all agree with you that you want an electronic kit, then don't listen to us. Get what you want.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
sticks4drums

Electronic kits fun, drum mutes boring. Seems like an easy choice to me. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Electronic kits fun, drum mutes boring. Seems like an easy choice to me. :)
yeah....i totally agree. Can you even compare the two?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If you are upstairs, an e-kit will still be too loud for those below you. They will hear it.

I haven't had an acoustic kit in a long time, but when i did (mid 90s) the mutes were not that effective. I live in a house, and I used to play (before baby #2) on my roland td3 around 11pm in my living room while my wife and 2 year old slept without an issue from my playing.
I have a Roland TD4 and had to make a platform (2 layers of plywood with about 10 tennis balls between them set in drilled holes to absorb the sound) have yet to get any complaints.. BTW love my Rolands!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Administrator

This dampening platform is a great idea! I guess some butt kick/woofer system integrated into or mounted onto the throne would be a fine addition to both an e- and aKit, making you not only HEAR what you're playing (on the bass drum) but also FEEL it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 PM

I have used both.

I started off just using soundoffs over my regular heads. It was ok, but not really all that quiet. The bass drum feel was really off.

I then went to mesh heads on my acoustic drums with soundoff mutes on top of them. They were practically silent now. This combination gave me almost no rebound, which depending who you talk to, is a good or bad thing when it comes to practice. On my snare I also had a mesh head, with a soundouff, but put a real feel practice pad on top of it. I used just a straight mesh head on the bass drum, and packed the bass drum full of pillow. The entire setup was reaaaaaaaaally quiet, you could easily talk in a normal voice and be heard. However, it wasn't much fun to play.

I then broke down a bought a yamaha dtx 550k electronic kit, and although not as quiet as the above setup, the sounds in my headphones made drumming fun again. I am practicing way more than I ever have in the past as its very convienient. I think you should spend as much as you can afford, and the mesh heads on electronic drums will be quieter than the rubber ones. Someone did post a link on here on how to make a drum platform that will absorb sound from the kick, they used tennis balls somehow, so if you google drum platform tennis balls, you should find it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM

ooops sorry, i see someone already mentioned the tennis ball thing!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM

I just discovered these: http://www.trapsdrums.com/products/e...-silencer-pads

I haven't read all the previous replies so sorry if they've been mentioned before.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 AM

hum. i like. thanks for post
Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
I have a Roland TD4 and had to make a platform (2 layers of plywood with about 10 tennis balls between them set in drilled holes to absorb the sound) have yet to get any complaints.. BTW love my Rolands!!!

Do you have a pic of this?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:30 PM
nhzoso

I agree with Bo about the feel being different but for me I use the E-kit 50% of the time and I do not do practice pad work on them. However it is a great tool if you want to be quiet and practice grooves and coordination stuff.

I have the TD-4 with all mesh heads and it is not completely quiet but much quieter than my A-kit. I agree if you had neighbors below you you may have to do the tennis ball thing and more.