DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Default Kick Port

Now I've seen this thing the call a Kick Port, I've heard it. Is this a joke to get someone to spend $40? I highly doubt it does anything for low end. I mean the sales pitch sounds kool and I understand the concept they were shooting for but I don't hear it.

Last edited by Kg_lee; 12-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Kick Port

I just got one for Christmas from my wife. It does exactly what it claims...(maybe more...at least in my case it does) When I first installed it along with my new heads I thought..."man, there is no way this thing sounds this awesome...it has got to be a combo of the port along with the new heads" because of the design it is very easy to "A,B" the effects by taking it out and putting it back in. And sure 'nuff...with it installed it sounds out of this world. Don't get me wrong, my bass sounds pretty awesome without it, but with it in, the kick port does have a very very noticeable difference...in a very very good way. Plus I really like the double benefit of have the head protected around the port...
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotine25 View Post
I just got one for Christmas from my wife. It does exactly what it claims...(maybe more...at least in my case it does) When I first installed it along with my new heads I thought..."man, there is no way this thing sounds this awesome...it has got to be a combo of the port along with the new heads" because of the design it is very easy to "A,B" the effects by taking it out and putting it back in. And sure 'nuff...with it installed it sounds out of this world. Don't get me wrong, my bass sounds pretty awesome without it, but with it in, the kick port does have a very very noticeable difference...in a very very good way. Plus I really like the double benefit of have the head protected around the port...

Anyway you can get us a quick recording of it on and then off or vice versa? would really appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Point proven..waste of money. Listen to the comparison, notice the snare drum volume. Nothing but turning up the audio.

When I want low end I rely on my EQ, bass drum microphone, and how many 18" subs I got running with lots of power. To me thats how you get low end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqX2GJcN7ok&feature=fvw
Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM

50hz will hit hard than 30hz anyway.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Anyway you can get us a quick recording of it on and then off or vice versa? would really appreciate it.
My neighbor just got a zoom recorder...ill see if i can borrow it. Ill post audio as soon as I can. And although I agree a good mic and eq will work great...and live, thats all you may need, I dont play live anymore so I rely on the natural acoustic bass sound. Like I mentioned above, the sound difference just to the naked ear is pretty unbelievable. So for me it works great and I am very happy with it.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

If you thread search you will find several other good threads here about the Kick Port.
Link to thread, http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ight=kick+port
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Be sure to watch and thank Bart.
http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/g...-concepts.html

I got to test one for myself. I didn't have any fancy equipment, Just my ears.
I found the same thing as Bart did.
I hated it on my 14 x 18 jazz bass drum.
I hated it on my 14 x 22 bass drum. Although not as much!

It did nothing for me at all!
It took away the purpose of my reso head.
I use small ports in my bass drums.
I tune my reso to enhance the sound.

It may work for some but not for me and the way that I tune.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 PM
audiotech

I didn't care for the Kickport myself. I tried it on a Pearl Vision 22" x 18" drum and also a DW Collectors 22" x 18" drum and it seemed to take away more than it enhanced the sound of the bass drum. This was probably due to the extra weight of the Kickport hanging from the bass drum's resonant head limiting it's movement. I've also proven this several times to drummers in the studio. The proximity effect of cardioid microphones will also express more bass frequencies when correctly placed without limiting resonance and sustain of the bass drum like a Kickport would.

Dennis
Old 12-30-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I think this guy has the kickport much too close to the centre of the head so of course it's going to kill resonance and interfere with pedal response. He has it right in the centre of the 16" drum which isn't how it is supposed to be used. I have mine 2" from the edge of my 22" head and it definitely works in accentuating the low end (especially in what I hear when playing) while still allowing resonance from the centre of the head. It doesn't alter the pedal feel at all. Works for me.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM

I really like the results. It does just what it's advertised to do.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm2112 View Post
I think this guy has the kickport much too close to the centre of the head so of course it's going to kill resonance and interfere with pedal response. He has it right in the centre of the 16" drum which isn't how it is supposed to be used. I have mine 2" from the edge of my 22" head and it definitely works in accentuating the low end (especially in what I hear when playing) while still allowing resonance from the centre of the head. It doesn't alter the pedal feel at all. Works for me.

He tries.

First off, do not use a screwdriver when installing KICKPORT, just bad advise.

pbm2112 has it exactly correct, the port is too close to the center of the head on the 22' and the 16" test is just lame and not real world (even nicotine25's KICKPORT is flirting with being too close to center) KICKPORT will be at its weakest at enhancing low end when in the center of the head as will any port, not recommended.

Even with Bart's faulted testing procedure(s), I can still hear a noticeable difference in the low end.

I use KICKPORTS and they definitely enhance the low end when properly installed.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 AM

I just picked one up, im so excited. cant wait to finish work and get on it!!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

i've got one... i don't really notice or hear a difference...
Old 10-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator

I am the last to try "gimmicks" but I bought this at my local store and put in on my Gretsch Renown 22 x 18 and I will tell you it is a "boom producer." My suggestion would be to buy one, open carefully, I think two staples, and install it without the reinforcing ring and try it out. That is if you already have a hole in the head. If you like it take it apart, easy, and put on the reinforcing ring. If not, put it back together in the neatly opened package and take it back. I like it and will leave it. I like it so much I may finally cut a hole in my Gretsch logo head abd install it there.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 10-20-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:41 PM

it made a difference to my bass drum, nuff said
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 PM

Made a difference on my kicks that I've installed it on...
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Doctor Dirt

I remember porting (4") a Pearl Limited Edition African Mahogany 20" kick years ago and the incredible depth and low end qualities went right out the port and were GONE!!!! HA!
The drum still sounded great but to mic in front of the drum can be a problem in certain settings and the internal may system I've used for years has some comforts when it comes to the set up & tear downs. I always like a full head on a drum but internal mic'ing is a pain to do and leaving my D112 right inside with the chord attached and rolled up in a VO cloth bag has been my way for years. This is the biggest consession I make and I have some gigs coming where no subs will be used so a full front reso will be bought and in place. Should be fun to tune a kick to a room instead of setting it up to be mic'ed. Doc
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Administrator

I just ordered a second T-Ring so that i can use the KickPort on My Gretsch head that I swore I would never port. I lied. I will move it when the T-Ring arrives.

Amended:

KickPort on the Gretsch head. Sounds much better, deeper, with the same tuning, and the black and white goes well with the Gretsch head.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 10-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.