DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 AM

Default Ludwig Kick Heads

I really like the sound of stock Ludwig Clear Kick drum heads...I do believe my Classic Maple kit (24 ") had come with the Heavy head, so, Which Remo head would best replicate the Ludwig Heavy Clear head ? I'd think more along the lines of the Pinstripe as they are rated as "low end" projection which is what I like...Anyone been able to actually do a comparison lately ? And, Remo Emporer (2 Ply)...Does Emporer have more "low end" than Ambassador ? Thanks y'all...
Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ludwig Kick Heads

Why not just get a Ludwig head if they make the sound you like?
Is it the standard head, or the one with the muffle ring?

Ludwig has the crimped hoops, and it's a different film than other makers use, so their heads sound different than other brands.

If you have to order, any Ludwig dealer can get the head you want easily, direct from Ludwig.

That head (the plain one) is a 10 mil, so a Remo Ambassador, Evan's G1, Aquarian Classic Clear would be an equivalent as far as "specs".

An Emp (or other brand 2ply) will have a little deeper sound, and a little slower response compared to a single ply head.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 AM
sticks4drums

So now they make the best heads too. Oh No! Help! :) Just bugging you Karl. ;)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

...yea but they sound better when you put electrical tape around the collar.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
...yea but they sound better when you put electrical tape around the collar.
Nothing to do with sound baby, all looks. Your just jealous you didn't think of it.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 AM

[quote=KarlCrafton;903583]Why not just get a Ludwig head if they make the sound you like?
Is it the standard head, or the one with the muffle ring?

Mine does have the muffle ring, or, clear plastic overtone ring I guess it is...Semantics...I will have to special order the Ludwig head and, Sticks 4 Drums, you're going to love this now, I also want to get some Silver Dots for the toms of my new (old Zickos) acrylic kit...I'd thought a Remo comparison would be good info in case of last minute thing...Now that I think of it, in my own little world, I don't see a whole lot of drummers using Ludwig heads.?.Back in the day (yup...early to mid 70's) that was all I used...Ludwig Weather Master...I have broadened my horizons in the past decade in terms of drums and drum gear and have tried the 3 brands of heads out there with no problems at all as there is a lot of great equipment out there...But, I seem to always gravitate back to Weather Master...Not for everything, but, where works for me...Are Ludwig Silver Dots still available.?.Thanks Karl...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
So now they make the best heads too. Oh No! Help! :) Just bugging you Karl. ;)
Haaaaaaaaaahaha! NO they don't.

Silver Dots are still available.
Actually a Silver Dot sounds great on snares. The dot sounds different than Remo's, and the film sounds different than Ambassador film.
Charlie Banante (among others) used that head for years and years.

There's so much different stuff to try out now, you can go insane with different combos.

I use a Coated Emp with a Top Dot on most of my snares. Good sensitive (& durable) head with nice "crack". I get a full tone, less harsh ring, and, by playing on, or off the dot, I can get several different sounds out of it easily.

The 402's still sound better to me with a regular Emp though, or a Black Dot or Silver Dot. Must be the aluminum shell.