DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-26-2011, 04:12 AM

Default Throne question

Hey fellow Drummers, just a quick question...what kind, brand or type of throne would you recomend for me, a heavy drummer? Thanks for your help :D
Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Throne question

Just something sturdy, I reckon. Depends how much you want to spend. There are a few different designs: Bicycle, Tractor, Bench Seat, and Round. Round seats tend to be cheaper than the other 3. Just make sure to get something double braced for stability.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

The most common that you see alot of places selling are the Roc-n-Soc thrones. With the regular heavy duty base and seat those will run around $120-135, and that's about the least I would get. Drum Workshop makes some great ones that are even more heavy duty and cost even more, but I wouldn't consider a throne under-$100. Even if you aren't a heavy person, you're still the heaviest part of that drum set. You need solid support, so don't skimp!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 AM

well... actually i don't mind the shape of the seat... something soft is enough (with the one i have i end up with a sore butt with just 15 minutes of being seating on it), my concern is with the system that keeps it up, like the one i have has holes on the pole, amd you just put a screw depending on the height you want, the old way. But i've heard of some that use the structure of computer desk chairs...but i'm afraid it might only work for some time just to fail eventually because of my weight...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
The most common that you see alot of places selling are the Roc-n-Soc thrones. With the regular heavy duty base and seat those will run around $120-135, and that's about the least I would get. Drum Workshop makes some great ones that are even more heavy duty and cost even more, but I wouldn't consider a throne under-$100. Even if you aren't a heavy person, you're still the heaviest part of that drum set. You need solid support, so don't skimp!
Thanks man... i'm gonna use that...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby77 View Post
well... actually i don't mind the shape of the seat... something soft is enough (with the one i have i end up with a sore butt with just 15 minutes of being seating on it), my concern is with the system that keeps it up, like the one i have has holes on the pole, amd you just put a screw depending on the height you want, the old way. But i've heard of some that use the structure of computer desk chairs...but i'm afraid it might only work for some time just to fail eventually because of my weight...
Most of the best thrones use the threaded shaft design, so you can make small adjustments to the height but just spinning the seat. And they won't slip down gradually either. You might want to check out a base with 4 legs instead of 3 as well, for more stability. I personally have no need for the thrones with the hydraulic lifter/office chair style.

Last edited by kettles; 09-26-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

Tama makes the "First Chair" line that is really good.
I found a used one on craigs for $75.
I also have a Gibraltar that is good.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 AM

I am 6' 6" 350, and I use a DW 5100 throne. It is really sturdy and it locks into place no problem. pretty cheap price too, I would recommend it for sure. I have had it since February and it has been solid.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...43450000000000
Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

I've also got a Tama, the Wide Rider.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby77 View Post
I don't understand the concept of having the computer-office type base for a throne. For one, you can't break it down and put it in a case with the rest of your hardware. And another thing, where I work we have those expensive Aeron chairs ($700 a piece) with the hydraulics, and from just sitting in them, the hydraulics break down. Imagine the constant bouncing and moving you do behind the drums. How do those things make any sense to anybody? I'm not getting it....
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Another option, if you were sorta' rich and were ok with the height, would be the old style barrel throne from the old days. Absolutely nothing to adjust and really pretty solid. You could also use it to store stuff and it could be made to match the color of your kit since it's basically a drum shell. I've always wanted one of those after seeing Buddy Rich with one years ago.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Another option, if you were sorta' rich and were ok with the height, would be the old style barrel throne from the old days. Absolutely nothing to adjust and really pretty solid. You could also use it to store stuff and it could be made to match the color of your kit since it's basically a drum shell. I've always wanted one of those after seeing Buddy Rich with one years ago.
I love those too! But they look a tad too high for me. The fact that it doubles as a trap case is so awesome though!

Now there's a good use of "select hardwood" if I ever saw one. Inexpensive canister thrones! Who'll be the first to offer one? (Hint to Gretsch)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdevil9 View Post
I love those too! But they look a tad too high for me. The fact that it doubles as a trap case is so awesome though!

Now there's a good use of "select hardwood" if I ever saw one. Inexpensive canister thrones! Who'll be the first to offer one? (Hint to Gretsch)
I'm sure Ludwig probably still offers them on a special order basis. DW makes one, but it's adjustable, and because it's DW, it costs more than its worth!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Gold Member

I checked ebay for fun. There's a Rogers for 300 and a vintage Ludwig for $1000!

I bet if these were made at a reasonable price they would sell well. And the choice of wood could be the cheapest possible since sound isn't a concern. It would just have to be a good number of plies to be sturdy enough to carry stands and support a drummer. Maybe I should start a business...
Old 09-26-2011, 03:50 PM

I'm considering the Mapex Double Brace Thick Cushion Heavy Duty Drum Throne

http://www.amazon.com/Mapex-Double-B...ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Or maybe the DW Drum Workshop CP5100 5000 Series Throne... but i still can't decide... what you guys think?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
haha, i'm not rich at all, but i do mind being able to adjust the height, i need it to fit my drum set...but thanks, i didn't even know about that kind of Throne...

By the way, i'm Mexican, so if my english isn't good enough, well...shame on the education system in México haha...
Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM

I have a Tama First Chair Ergo-Rider Hydraulix throne (HT750C) with the backrest that works great.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM

I'll confirm that the first chair is awesome.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM
jorn

I have a Tame First Chair too. I had/have 2 problems;
1. The bolt head broke off the chair! I think they actually actually had a recall because of that. Nothing happened and I got and 8.8 grade M8(I think) from work to replace the broken one.
2. The plastic bush lining the connection point to the seat quickly wears off and the seat becomes loose. Have to tighten the screw very frequently.
I find myself not really leaning against the backrest and am not using, but thats not a fault of the chair.
Otherwise the throne is very comfy.

I am in the market for a throne for my 2nd drumset. I won't be buying this one agian and am looking at a Roc-N-Soc tractor seat w/o the air cylinder.

thx

jorn

PS I am a big guy
Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

I remember seeing the recall on the Tama site for the dodgy bolt. My swivel sleeve (the plastic part you're talking about) is still like new, but I'm not very big either so it's probably not under as much stress. You can pull the sleeve out and clamp it on without if you want to. I got a backrest recently and love it! I had to tape a couple of coins underneath the adjusting bolt to make it tilt forward more, but it's otherwise comfortable and solid.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Pioneer Member

i have a pork pie throne it is awesome. that is all
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

I have the Roc N' Soc hydraulic, tractor-style throne, and it is great. It's a bit pricey, but as my late, great brother told me, when I was purchasing my first drum throne in 1986 ... "Steve, you gotta take care a yer ass".

Last edited by steverok; 09-28-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 PM

Hello,

height: 1.70 m
weight: roundabout (a little bit more than) 100 kg.

Throne in rehearsal romm: Pearl D-70W. Yes. 12" round.

Ok, my belly is the heavy thing, my bottom medium sized.

But: just go to your local dealer and take a seat. Your bottom is not mine.

Cheerio
Juergen
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Roc'n'Soc seat with a base that has a lock on it and you'ree golden.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Im using a Roc N Soc with Gibraltar nitro base (cheaper and a lot nicer then the roc version imo)
Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 AM

This is a great one.

http://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-9608...8203494&sr=8-1

Super cushion-y, very sturdy. I went from a 1/2" thick excuse-for-a-throne to this 5" thick throne, and the difference was astounding. I only weigh about 130 lbs., but I'd bet this thing is just as comfortable for bigger folk as it is for me.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM

I have a roc-n-soc with the spindle base that I have had for about 15 years. It still is the most comfortable throne I have. It has starting making a lot of creaking sounds in it's old age, sort of like my knees. I bought the Drum Workshop 5000 series throne. It's sturdy, but after about an hour my back is killing me. I used it at one gig and by the end of the night I almost couldn't play because my back hurt so bad. It now stays in my practice room since I rarely get the chance to practice more than an hour anyway. I then bought a roc-n-soc with the hydrolic base. I like the fact that it spins but I have a problem with it also. I'm 285 pounds. I did not read on the manufactures website that it is only rated for 250 pounds. Every half hour or so, I have to raise it up a little bit because it sinks. I've been using it but I'm thinking of buying another roc-n-soc spindle base. I might try their round seat though. The problem with buying a throne is that you can't sit on it for hours at a time in the store to really try it out.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Round, not too big in diameter, light.

Reasons:
The grooves they put into saddle shaped seats nowadays can be a bit annoying.
If it's very big in diameter you can feel a bit lost in it.
Get something light because playing metal takes a lot of energy, don't waste it on lugging heavy gear around.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/big-dog-f002...d-throne/30152
Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
Round, not too big in diameter, light.

Reasons:
The grooves they put into saddle shaped seats nowadays can be a bit annoying.
If it's very big in diameter you can feel a bit lost in it.
Get something light because playing metal takes a lot of energy, don't waste it on lugging heavy gear around.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/big-dog-f002...d-throne/30152
This and if the round seat is too large in diameter, it actually cuts off circulation under my legs. I don't notice it until it's basically too late. When I'm looking for new drum thrones, I don't usually sit on one for the 20 or 25 minutes it takes for things to go awry.

Dennis