DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
BloodlineSeveredDrummer BloodlineSeveredDrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 5
Default Need mixer info

Ok, so I need some information about small mixers that can be used for some electronic stuff. Let me start with a little info on the setup. Im using a custom 7 piece acoustic kit with a few electronic pieces.My electronic stuff is running through a DM5. Im just using it for a bass drop and triggering my kicks as well. Im also using a 2,500 watt amp and 2 - 18 sub to run it with in practice and smaller shows. I have been using a small 8 channel mixer but it started clipping out when I started using the kick triggers and it stopped working tonight at practice. Im now in need of a small mixer that is not gonna clip with the trigger. Obviously i dont need a powered mixer so Im hoping to stay under $60 or $70. If anyone has any info on a good mixer that will handle this please let me know. I've looked at Behringer and also Alto Professional. Any info would help greatly, Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: Need mixer info

For a guy running a 2-18 sub with a 2.5K power amp I'm a little surprised you don't know what kind of mixer you would actually need or why you would spend the least amount of money on one. Circuitry is like anything else - if you want it to handle what you're doing, the more money spent, the better. Save your pennies and get at least a Mackie 1604VLZ - better if you can get a Yamaha O1v96. But both of those are probably way out of your budget. You'll just have to learn to deal with the clipping.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need mixer info

Why was it clipping in the first place, because of too high a level, and what model mixer was it?

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 PM
BloodlineSeveredDrummer BloodlineSeveredDrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 5
Default Re: Need mixer info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
For a guy running a 2-18 sub with a 2.5K power amp I'm a little surprised you don't know what kind of mixer you would actually need or why you would spend the least amount of money on one. Circuitry is like anything else - if you want it to handle what you're doing, the more money spent, the better. Save your pennies and get at least a Mackie 1604VLZ - better if you can get a Yamaha O1v96. But both of those are probably way out of your budget. You'll just have to learn to deal with the clipping.
Well for one, Im a drummer, not an audio tech, lol. I have been fortunate to be able to get the equipment that I have, that doesnt mean I have tons of money to spend all the time, unfortunately. The band does have a large board and sound system but I already have enough to carry around to gigs and try to limit the equipment as much as possible, so carrying around a large board to all our shows just doesnt work. Thats why I had a small mixer in the first place. I checked out both models on Ebay and both look very nice, just a little too big for what I want to carry around. I might jump on one in the future when the money is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Why was it clipping in the first place, because of too high a level, and what model mixer was it?

Dennis
Im not sure why exactly it was clipping, I never thought i ran it that hard. It is an older Behringer 8 channel mixer that looks identical to this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Xe...ht_2585wt_1141. I switched the channel I was running the trigger through at practice last night, it made it through one song and just stopped. I pulled the mix board apart and nothing looks wrong with it at all, no burn marks or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,897
Default Re: Need mixer info

First of all forget Beringer, crap stuff. Also, and I'm not an audio engineer, but I know a little. I was under the impression that a mixer doesn't clip unless it's over driven with too high levels on the channel strip(s) or the amp or preamp. The mixer is telling you that you're pushing too much power through it. It sounds to me like a setting thing, but like I said, I'm no audio engineer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
BloodlineSeveredDrummer BloodlineSeveredDrummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 5
Default Re: Need mixer info

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
First of all forget Beringer, crap stuff. Also, and I'm not an audio engineer, but I know a little. I was under the impression that a mixer doesn't clip unless it's over driven with too high levels on the channel strip(s) or the amp or preamp. The mixer is telling you that you're pushing too much power through it. It sounds to me like a setting thing, but like I said, I'm no audio engineer.
Yeah, I definitely wont replace it with another Behringer. I just honestly have no idea what happened to it. It just quit. There is still a signal going to my DM5 and also to the amp, just nothing coming out of the sub. Nothing is reading on the mixer.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com