DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 AM

Default Which drum pad to buy?

I'm looking for a drum pad to buy for just a few basic reasons. I need one for when I move into college, practice drums at friend's houses, and for putting custom sounds on (like an 808 drop) for live shows. I don't know much about MIDI so I'm pretty confused. Can anyone tell me what would be the best pad for these causes at a price around 350 and below? I don't mind if the pad is used. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Which drum pad to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L2Ts View Post
I'm looking for a drum pad to buy for just a few basic reasons. I need one for when I move into college, practice drums at friend's houses, and for putting custom sounds on (like an 808 drop) for live shows. I don't know much about MIDI so I'm pretty confused. Can anyone tell me what would be the best pad for these causes at a price around 350 and below? I don't mind if the pad is used. Thanks!
There are several brands of electronic kits and drum pad surfaces. Lets talk pads first. To me the mesh pads feel good, the rubber pads feel numb - there are older pads that you can get used like the Roland trigger pads (they are soo stiff - your elbows will crumble over time). Now when you get a pad (or pads) they send out a trigger signal down a wire to a "Brain" that converts the signals into MIDI which can go out of the unit using a MIDI OUT jack to another synth/sampler or run (trigger) internal drum samples inside the "Brain" if you have that type.

There are other ways also, you can get a basic trigger sensor and place it on a real drum head and run the signal to a MIDI brain like the old Roland Octapad (which has many trigger inputs) and you can run the MIDI out to a sound module that takes MIDI in. Roland also has a newer Octapad that has build in samples as do other companies like Yamaha. I have played many nights in small clubs with just an Octopad as a set (just don't let your friends see you doing this - LOL)

There is a new choice in triggers >> Aquarian Drumheads and MIDItroniX unveiled the new inHEAD acoustic/electronic trigger that can replace a real drum head. I played it at the 2011 Summer NAMM show. Roy Burns gave me a demo of it, the response was very, very good.

So - you can build your own kit out of new/used pads and "Brains" or look for a used electronic set (some of the new sets have "Racks" that look good in the store - but have their clamps break with use) Your buget is small - but not impossible to do if you look around carefully. Good luck.

Cliff

Last edited by 720hours World Record; 09-12-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 AM

Thanks for explaining how MIDI works. I'm not looking for a full set though, I just need a pad that makes drum noises and custom sounds because I have an acoustic set. This is merely for ease of transportation and fun. Thanks again on explaining!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L2Ts View Post
Thanks for explaining how MIDI works. I'm not looking for a full set though, I just need a pad that makes drum noises and custom sounds because I have an acoustic set. This is merely for ease of transportation and fun. Thanks again on explaining!
Well then, Simmons SD1 practice pad with sounds might fit your needs.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Well if 808 drops are what you're after, you're best going for something Roland. Their 808 patches are what most bands/drummers are using. The single practice pads like the RP-2 do not contain the 808 sound. (unfortunately for us) Perhaps Roland will wise up and realize that they will sell a boat-load of the RP-2's as soon as this sound is incorporated into them. The best option for you sounds like searching for a used/second hand SPD-S or even the SPD-30. Alesis and Yamaha also have a 808ish bass-drop as well, but doesn't sound the same as Roland's to my ear. You can trigger the sound directly from these pads and not have to worry about piggy-backing any external sound sources or pads.

Another option would be to run an older Roland sound module like the TD-6 and run a single trigger pad from the module to trigger the desired sound. You should be able to get your hands on a used TD-6 module and pad fairly easily and cheaply. Since the 808 sound patch has not change really at all in the last 10 years or so, older modules will work just fine.

best regards,
-J