DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 AM

Default Electronic Cymbals Question

Hello All,

I am new here but not new to online forums. I have been a closet drummer for years and finally broke down about a year ago and purchased a used Yamaha DTXtreme III drum kit. I really enjoy it and my playing has improved greatly through this past year.

Onto my question. I am having a bigger and bigger problem with the cymbals. They have the choke feature which I like and do use when playing but I find more and more that even when I just hit the cymbal "normally" it will cut off like it is being choked and it sounds bad to say the least. Is this a common problem? Is there something that wears out like the felt pieces that cause this? I don't think my technique has changed THAT much to cause this but if anyone has some advice I am all ears. I have tried to move the angle of the cymbals up and down to see if that made a difference and it doesn't do much.

Any advice or comments would greatly appreciated.

Kevin
Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Electronic Cymbals Question

I have the DTXplorer and have had that problem only a couple of times which is weird because I don't have the cymbals that choke...
I let my friend record himself on a couple of songs and it happened to him kind of often...He has bad technique so it may be a different way of hitting them that's causing it
Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Electronic Cymbals Question

Start with the basic diagnostics:

-Try swapping cables to see if you cable is cutting out.
-Try a factory reset (you'd be surprised at the bugs it fixes)

If these don't work, try taking the cymbal off of the cymbal arm and hitting the cymbal while it's in you hand. The cymbal may be striking something that's causing the choke feature to go off, or you're getting a double-triggering effect that may be causing it to cut-out.

If these ideas don't work then let me know and we'll go from there.

Best regards,
-J