DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Default confused drum head buyer

Recently one of my drum heads broke so I decided that I need to buy new drum heads. I've come up with a decision:

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvansA...37&ArtistId=79

but I'm slightly confused about this. Do I have to buy two of one drum head so that both sides of my drum have the same head?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Default Re: confused drum head buyer

Drum heads are normally sold as batter, top, and reso or resonant, bottom. I would not suggest using reso heads on the top for the batter, but many have used batters for the reso side depending on what they are. On the link you gave in your post if you click on the type of music, there are drop boxes, for snare, tom and then batter and reso heads. Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlhunter View Post
Recently one of my drum heads broke so I decided that I need to buy new drum heads. I've come up with a decision:

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvansA...37&ArtistId=79

but I'm slightly confused about this. Do I have to buy two of one drum head so that both sides of my drum have the same head?
Typically most people would buy a head that is thinner for the bottom head, usually one ply which gives off more resonance. Lot's of people use Evans G1's for resonant tom heads. From the example you gave The EC2 Clear would be your Batter head (top), the other would be your Resonant head (bottom).
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

There is much debate over what heads work best for top and bottom. For a top head some say Remo, Evans, or Aquarian, depending on who you ask... most people like Remos for the bottom (from what I've seen).

You also run into the choice of clear or coated...most people use clear on the bottom, but for a warmer, deader sound, you can use a coated on the bottom as well as the top (see my pic).

In my experience Aquarian makes some of the best tom heads around...their "Studio X" and "Super 2" heads are amazing.

You can hear me play the Studio X heads if you search on YouTube for "YD7000 Studio X". You'll see it soon enough, I'm zerosoma33.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

The good folks at Aquarian have put up a great page that shows suggested head combinations as well as a brand to brand comparison chart.
Check it out. http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...ide-comparison
Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

What kind of music do you play? I like two-ply heads on top of my toms and one-ply heads on the bottoms.

Evans EC2 on top and EC Resonant on the bottom

Evans clear G2 on top and clear G1 on the bottom

Some like the same head on both sides such as a coated G1 on top and a clear (or coated) G1 on the bottom. Very few drummers would put a two-ply head on the bottom, but lots put one-ply heads on both sides. All of what I said goes for toms. Snares and bass drums are a whole other thing. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Gold Member

i use 1 ply heads, for my style i find 2 plays are too dead, and i plain single ply is a bit too resonant so i use the classic clear on the reso and a studio x on the batter with the odd moon jell on the bigger toms, i tried the focus x but found it too dead as well and its easier to add a little moon jell to control a bit of ring than it is to try and get resonance from a dead head.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 AM
audiotech

I use different head combinations depending on the type of music I play with any one kit and the sound the kit produces with any certain head combination.

With my Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums it's always a two ply clear batter over a single ply clear 10 mil resonant head on the toms.

My Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit has a single ply coated head over a single ply 10 mil clear resonant head.

My DW Classic kit has single ply coated batters over single ply 10 mil coated resonant heads.

And my Gretsch Renown kit has two ply coated batters over single ply clear 10 mil resonant heads. The same goes for my vintage Pearl kit.

I've tried many different combinations and these are the most appealing to my ears.

Dennis