DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Default Roland TD-3,... good or bad?

So I have an opportunity to buy a used (4-5 year old) Roland TD-3 e-kit for $600. Is that a good, bad, or fair deal for this kit? It comes with a Pearl double kick pedal, Crate Amp, drum stool, folding music stand. Anything I need to watch out for?? Main usage is for practice and small "low sound" gigs.

I’m REAL green with e-kits so any info would be helpful at this point.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Roland TD-3,... good or bad?

That's a fair price IMO. I don't know if you have pedals or a throne already, but if you can swing it for $200 more you can probably find a td4...which has the ability to add a vh11 hi hat, which is a big improvement over the fd-8 pedal hi hat on the lower end Roland.

As far as the kit goes, make sure that when you strike each pad they register. Make sure all the buttons on the module work too. Choke the cymbals, make sure that works. Try the edge of the cymbals (crash/ride not hats) vs the middle...it should be a different sound. Hit the rim on the snare, should be a different sound.

Are the pearl kicks 122s? If so that's the cheap (cost not quality) pearl pedals FYI.
Good luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM

This is from the actual ad....

------------------------------------

Roland V-Drums TD-3 Electronic V-Drum set with rack -- great condition!

Price includes Roland TD-3 V-Drums kit with upgrades (Pearl Double Base Pedal), Crate Amp, drum stool, folding music stand, digital music sampler, and all power cords.

The Roland TD-3 V-Drums provides the ability to lower/increase the volume on a drum set both through the headphones & the amp; a great feature that is not available for acoustic drum sets. Playing will not disturb neighbors or anyone else in the household when you use the headphones!

The TD-3 Percussion Sound Module boasts 114 new, high-quality drum and percussion sounds arranged into 32 kits, plus an easy-to-use interface so you can start playing right away. Finding the right drum kit is simple: just use the Phrase Preview function to hear a short demo for each kit. Each kit's sounds can be enhanced using 15 types of built-in Ambience effects and compression. And with Roland's enhanced Rhythm Coach onboard, drummers can improve their timing, speed and endurance using several rhythm-training exercises. The back of the module features nine trigger inputs, making it possible to add more pads like Roland's mesh PD-85 for snare. A stereo Mix input lets you play along with external audio sources, while MIDI In and Out let you connect with sequencers and more.

This selling price includes:

-1 Roland TD-3 V-Drums Monitor/Control Panel
-2 Roland Electronic Cymbals
-4 Roland Electronic Toms
-1 Roland Electronic Snare
-1 Pearl Electronic Double Bass Pedal (model# P-122TW)
-1 Roland Electronic Hi-Hat Pedal
-1 Drum stool
-1 Foldable Music Stand (Black)
-1 Crate 15W Amplifier (model# KXB15)
-1 Pair of Drumsticks
-All Cables and tools
Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM

It's a fair deal. That is the pearl pedal I was talking about.
All the crap they listed are just features of the module. IMO that stuff isn't going to not work...it's the triggers on all the cymbals and pads that you need to check. Just plug it in..tap each of the pads and check things like the choke of the cymbals.

I bought a td3 two years ago for 400. Had a broken cymbal...I just resoldered wire and kits been good ever since. I broke one if the clear keys on the module though...so make sure that when you push each of them down that they come back up.

If they won't let you test it...walk. It's a FAIR deal. IMO amp is needed for "gig", although td3 is really sad gig kit IMO (unless you are in a zz top cover band)...that amp is not strong enough for that purpose. If you getting for noise then you just using headphones anyway...

Are you just starting drumming? If you are more advanced you will outgrow this kit fast IMO. If you have the ability (I play ekit bc of noise) just get an acoustic with your $$. Better long term decision IMO.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!!!

No I’ve been drumming for just about 25+ years, but the band I play in as well as the area we play involves A LOT of acoustic shows which I cannot use my full kit for obviously reasons. I just wanted a simple kit to be able to join in on these shows since the full-on band gigs are fewer and farther between… That really sux cause I just bought hi-end Ludwig 2 weeks and now I’m looking at E-kits.

Simple truth is that I have a gig this Friday evening at a local winery and I borrowed an E-kit from a fellow drummer and found out that I kinda like it. I would never rely on an E-kit over a traditional, but it does have its advantages to say the least…

I did locate a TD4 for $575 with a single kick and no amp (which I don't reall need). Would that be the way to go for $25 less??
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 PM

Yes td4 over td3. Td4 supports vh11 hat which is much better.
You playing death metal? If not...who cares about double kick. Included td3 p-122 is low end. For serious gig you need a better amp than td3 offer has. You have to buy anyway.

Td3 and td4 are basically the same quality level. Come with 8 inputs (toms/cymbals)...can only add 1 more...(ex 2nd crash or 3rd tom) so the low end is really not expandable at all. Low end e-kits have no dynamics either. Hit soft/hard it's all the same. This is why I say cheap acou kit = always better than ekit IF noise is not a factor.

You need to spend 3500 (new) on a roland ekit (td12) to get the same basic function that you get out of a 600$ acou drumset. Now with any ekit you get different sounds and "sample" tracks readily switchable...but that's more specialized IMO. You want to just do some rock music and have 4 cymbals and 3 hi toms...costs maybe 1200 on acou kit? Ekit is 4k to accomplish this.

Sorry for bad grammar, typing on iPhone.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM

If you have PA to hook into then ya you don't need amp.

IMO, unless you need "sampling" type of tracks I'd just get a small acou 4 piece for the small room gigs.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

When I first got sucked into the darkside of electronic percussion, the first thing I bought, was a Roland SPD-S sampler (for $350, used). Integrated it into my acoustic kit ... and I've been having fun with e-kits now, for the better part of 6 years.
I currently have a Tama Techstar 305, a Roland TD7, a Yamaha DTXpress, 2 Korg Wave drums, and 2 Mandala V1's. And my original SPD-S.
$500-600 is fair money ...
When I gig out with the e-drums, I like to use real cymbals and hi-hat, and sometimes a real snare, too. And with that set-up, the SPD-S rocks ... built/designed like a lap top ... with 181 on board voices ... hook up a kick trigger to it (I use a Roland KD-7 attached to one of my Flying Dragons ... plus ... as a sampler ... it will store and play basically "anything" you sample into it.
I've even played whole shows, with just the SPD-S as my only "kit", since I've programmed about 10 different drum "sets" into it. It's perfect, for the "wine and cheese" crowd, as opposed to the "beer and pretzel" crowd. When the band takes a break, I can throw on a patch that has beach sounds/waves at the shore ... or birds chirping ...
The second rig, sounds like a better "deal", than the first. Think about the possibilities of a hybrid kit, once you have the equipment, then you have the tools to be flexible ...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Good post Harry.

IMO I would just get an spd pad that harry mentioned to supplement your akit.

Better value IMO.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

My dad has a TD3-KW. It's a cool kit! I don't like E-kits at all but it's really sturdy and the sounds are awesome!
My Dad got his in a clearance stock though at the time they were being discontinued for £570 or something... So I'd try convince them lower it to about $560. Check it out first :)