DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-20-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Looking for my first e kit. Some advice would be nice

I'm looking for kit in the $1 to $2000 range. 5 or more piece with the realistic feel heads. There aren't any stores close enough for to check any e kits out .so I gotta research a lot and hopefully get a good one online. They have realistic feel cymbals too, right?
How would it be in an apartment or duplex? Will it be quiet enough? What kits do you recommend?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Looking for my first e kit. Some advice would be nice

I personally own an Alesis DM10 Studio that I got for $850 (price matched via ZZounds) though I think they are $1000 normally. It's got mylar heads on it, though I must say they feel a bit stiffer than a regular drum. I actually like the sounds from that brain more than the Roland TD-12 I play at church.

They also have a version that has the brass Alesis Surge electronic cymbals like the ones that come with the Pearl E-pro (both made by the same company Smart Trigger). I went with the plastic ones mostly due to the lower cost, but they are also quieter. They also make one the DM10 X that has sizes more like a regular set. 12" Snare, 2x10" and 2x12" toms, 12" Hat, 2x14" crashes, and 16" ride. The one I have has a 12" Snare, 4x8" toms, 12" Hat, 2x12" Crashs, and 14" Ride.

As far as noise the cymbals are pretty quiet, but the toms do have a bit of noise (though there's a ton of stuff on the web about doing mesh head conversions). I think your issue in an apartment would be mainly the kick. I live in a house so I can't comment on apartment volume, but I can play while my wife sleeps in the other room.

In your budget range there's a lot of options... so good luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 AM

If you are Downstairs in an apt you will probably be ok. Upstairs, no way. It's the kick that's the problem here. The rest of it is no louder than playing on a table. The mesh heads are pretty quiet IMO.

And also, IMO e drums vs acoustics feel totally different no matter how "realistic" the Es are
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 AM

every time someone says they have one to two grand to spend on an e-kit on here,I picture a Roland rep sitting in a cubicle.....posting a question on drummerworld :)

I cant believe twelve people havent already told you to get a roland,and take 50 of it and have "Roland" tattoo'd on your forehead.

The thing is,Roland is indeed the "Gibson" or "Marshall" of e-kits.With that said,you'll have a million people come out and swear by it.The thing is,that Gibson will keep its value.So will the Marshall,especially if you go vintage on either,but an e-kit wont.A ten year old Roland,is a giant paper weight.So to over spend on one,to me isnt a great investment.If you have disposable income...go nuts.Otherwise,just like the Gibson and the Marshall,they have plenty of healthy competition,that does the same job...alot cheaper.

I dont get why people spend seven thousand dollars on kits so they will look and sound more like an acoustic set.You could build a beautiful acoustic kit with that,and completely soundproof a room.I mean like a room within a room type of soundproofing.

Anyone on here that bought a roland a decade ago,has probably since replaced it twice.New trigger pads,new cymbal designs,new modules...ooooh mesh pads now,and soon will be something even better.

Treat it like buying a computer.If you're a gamer or designer,go top of the line all the time,but if you're a weekend warrior what wal-mart has will do fine.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 AM

oh by the way,anyone who plays a loud instrument should become very good friends with their neighbors.Find out if he likes the smoke,or she likes the wine,and every once in a while just stop by and say..."friend owns a liquor store and keeps giving me these bottles of wine,and I prefer the ale....enjoy!!!"

Hard to call the cops on a cool neighbor
Old 08-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankso View Post
... $1 to $2000 range. 5 or more piece with the realistic feel heads.
If you're gonna splash that kinda cash, make the trip to Guitar Center (Rancho Cucamonga or San Bernadino). Play a few e-kits ... that's how you make an "informed" decision. From there, decide if you want to buy new ... or used ... Roland, Yamaha, Alesis, Simmons, or whoever ...
Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Gold Member

I got a Roland TD-4 (the one with mesh snare and rubber toms) at GC and with the mail in rebates it was $600, I got it simply because of their reputation and it was simply the best deal for the money. I did look at some others and did really like a Yamaha, Now that we have moved and I can play my acoustic it does not see much action but I do still use it to record something I am working on or its 11 at night and I want to practice. Or sometimes when I want to practice and don't want to deal with the noise, lol.
Anyway I guess in your price range I would look at Yamaha or Roland, maybe the TD-9 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...61188000000000

or the Yamaha DTX550K http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...13169000000000

I sure like the real Hi hat stand on the Yamaha more, I know you can add one to the Roland as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog_72 View Post
every time someone says they have one to two grand to spend on an e-kit on here,I picture a Roland rep sitting in a cubicle.....posting a question on drummerworld :)

I cant believe twelve people havent already told you to get a roland,and take 50 of it and have "Roland" tattoo'd on your forehead.

The thing is,Roland is indeed the "Gibson" or "Marshall" of e-kits.With that said,you'll have a million people come out and swear by it.The thing is,that Gibson will keep its value.So will the Marshall,especially if you go vintage on either,but an e-kit wont.A ten year old Roland,is a giant paper weight.So to over spend on one,to me isnt a great investment.If you have disposable income...go nuts.Otherwise,just like the Gibson and the Marshall,they have plenty of healthy competition,that does the same job...alot cheaper.

I dont get why people spend seven thousand dollars on kits so they will look and sound more like an acoustic set.You could build a beautiful acoustic kit with that,and completely soundproof a room.I mean like a room within a room type of soundproofing.

Anyone on here that bought a roland a decade ago,has probably since replaced it twice.New trigger pads,new cymbal designs,new modules...ooooh mesh pads now,and soon will be something even better.

Treat it like buying a computer.If you're a gamer or designer,go top of the line all the time,but if you're a weekend warrior what wal-mart has will do fine.
IMO Roland holds is value the best. The reason why older e-kits are worth less now is because the tech+features have changed ALOT in 10 years. With "Gibson/Marshall" the function of an amp tech wise hasnt changed in 20 yrs.

I agree tho..e kits are not like acoustics...no matter how much they have tried so far. IMO ekit choice is all about your level. Want a practice kit...td3/td4 is fine...