DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Default Re: HARDWARE DIY/MODS/REPAIRS THREAD

well.....i bought a rectangle of 16 gauge steel at "tractor supply", but i brought my slave pedal base with me so i could easily tell how big of a piece i would need. when i got home i pulled out my trusty sharpie and marked off a rectangle using the slave pedal base as a template for the rough width and length, and then i marked where the holes would go by poking the sharpie through the bolt holes. my dad then went outside and cut the sheet metal with a jig-saw fitted with a metal cutting blade. it was just two quick cuts because we used the corner of the small sheet and he just followed the lines. we slid the rough edges on concrete to smooth them out because we didn't have a flat file. after that, he went to our drill press and, using the correct size metal cutting bit, drilled the holes where i put the dots.

the only real challenge to the whole project was finding the right size bolts that had the right thread pattern to fit my pedal. we took a bolt from my pedal to use as a template.

after everything, i just bolted it on, hooked it to my bass drum and slave pedal, and started playing.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey everyone, i was invited to post here when some people saw my "home made ata flight hardware case" thread in the your gear section to make a long story short, i wanted a new hardware case that would stand up to the road.... after getting several quotes from companies here in dallas i thought i must have been getting overcharged. so i went to home depot and 1 or 2 online suppliers and bigady bam here's the result.....this was the result of 2 other failed attempts lol.

if your interested in details just le me know and i'll give you specs.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Tama kit with a bass drum mounted double tom holder.
It has a 1 inch diameter down tube.

I wanted to find a stand base for the tom holder so that I could floor stand my two toms.

A double tom stand costs about $150.
I didn't want to spend that much on a stand.
I only paid about $200 for the drum kit.

Many hi-hat stands will accept a 1 inch down tube.
I found an old Tama hi-hat stand for free and I hack sawed the stirrup and pedal off of it and I gutted the stand and kept the stand base.

I now have my floor stand for my toms.
It cost me nothing to make it!
Attached Images

Last edited by bobdadruma; 09-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Way to go Bob. Love the ingenuity.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Bo, you should have been able to just disassemble the hh stand rather than cut it I would think. That seems like a good idea, though and I may try it myself. BTW, did you change your avitar for me?

Last edited by Zickosdrummer; 09-11-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Administrator

On second thought you should have left the pedal and designed the mount so that you could adjust the toms like tympani.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

The hi-hat stand was missing parts and it hadn't worked in years.
The stirrup casting was part of the stand that held cross members together. The legs would have no support without the triangle piece. I had to cut it off.
It was a butt ugly thing from the 1980s.
I did the right thing by gutting and cutting it.

Trust me, It's not like I cut an Iron Cobra lever glide or anything like that.

I like the Tympani idea but we have Paul from Drumtone.com if I ever need drums that change pitch! LOL!

Last edited by bobdadruma; 09-12-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Administrator

lol..........................
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Really cool idea and execution.

If you really wanted to add a nice touch - and since you solder - make it so you can plug in your drums in the same way a guitarist plugs in his acoustic guitar. It will blow some minds (at least among people who pay attention to such things).

For each drum, get a quarter-inch male stereo plug and a quarter-inch female stereo socket. As you may know, quarter-inch stereo (also called Tip-Ring-Sleeve or TRS) is the exact same wiring as XLR, except it won't carry phantom power, but that is not a concern since you are using dynamic mics. People plug dynamic mics into quarter-inch stereo all the time.

Install the quarter-inch stereo socket in the vent hole of the drum; it will fit perfectly in the vent hole. Cut the mic cable a foot or so from the mic end and solder the end to the female socket inside the drum. Next solder the male plug to the end of the outside mic cable. I recommend 90-degree male plugs so you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the plug and damaging a connection. Not many audio stores will carry these so you may need to order them, about four bucks each.

This way, you will be left with no cables dangling from the drums. When you want to mic up your set, you simply "plug in" your drums! You will need to carry these cables with you as most sound guys won't have them, but the XLR end will connect to any XLR cables if you need a longer run. You will need to Google search some wiring diagrams to make the correct connections between XLR and TRS. This project and some more beer will keep you busy for an afternoon!

See this thread entry of 02-14-07 for an explanation with photos of how I did this, as well as my set thread below.
Here's the mounting bracket that I fabbed earlier, painted and installed. Also, the bulge on the wire is simply a band of electrical tape wrapped around the cable larger than the port hole so the cable won't pull back out. I also used a "hi-tech bonding strap" (bread package twist tie) to keep the cable up and away from making contact with the drum head.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Was there supposed to be a photo?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 AM

I have some ideas for retro fixes on DW pedals, Hihat to left kick pedals etc, and other problems we face with rigging gear. If you have some machining needs or ideas, I do one off stuff. Feel free to hit me up.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:05 AM

This is my drum riser I made from a Pearl ISS mount someone gave me, a piece of recycled plastic landscape timber, and an old door threshold. Total cost: $0.

You may have seen this one before on another thread but this is my floor cradle I built for a 16" floor tom/bass drum set up.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masheanhed View Post
This is my drum riser I made from a Pearl ISS mount someone gave me, a piece of recycled plastic landscape timber, and an old door threshold. Total cost: $0.
Wow, what nice looking risers. The wooden one especially shows a high level of craftsmanship. Do you have a thread for your set in the My Kit thread?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Wow, what nice looking risers. The wooden one especially shows a high level of craftsmanship. Do you have a thread for your set in the My Kit thread?
Thanks for the compliments but I assure you no "high level" here...I just got lucky this time around!

I don't have a thread that I can remember but I have posted them on some other threads.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Nice job guys, which got me thinking... what about the bass drum pedal being its own anchor?

The bass drum pedal doesn't need to be attached to the bass drum per say.

The bass drum could then have rear spurs and easily adjusted to fit the beater height/pedal.

With BD mounted toms, stability shouldn't be an issue, and even so if unstable (forward motion) easily remedied.

The feel would be fantastic, no vibration in the foot.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Literally made this today! I saw the various internal mic mounts that are available to buy and didn't understand why something like the 'KellyShu' holder was so expensive, so my friend and I decided to make one ourselves. Here's the result;

All it cost was 1 (Already had the bass drum mic- it's a Studiospare D112 rip off and it's actually quite good!) and that was for the elastic.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopestake! View Post
Literally made this today! I saw the various internal mic mounts that are available to buy and didn't understand why something like the 'KellyShu' holder was so expensive, so my friend and I decided to make one ourselves. Here's the result;

All it cost was 1 (Already had the bass drum mic- it's a Studiospare D112 rip off and it's actually quite good!) and that was for the elastic.
Great job! I would personally use a coated front head so it's not visible. The solid nature of the wood mount might create an extra reflection inside the bass drum, like a sonic baffle. Do you notice a difference in the sound either way?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Great job! I would personally use a coated front head so it's not visible. The solid nature of the wood mount might create an extra reflection inside the bass drum, like a sonic baffle. Do you notice a difference in the sound either way?
Thanks very much! I thought about this before hand and do use a coated front head, with a small port hole which gets rid of most reflections. There's also a small travel pillow on the inside to keep everything under control which works really well. I did a quick recording of it yesterday http://soundcloud.com/ed-copestake/i...icrophone-test. It sounds better than I expected, nice "click" with a nice low "boof" as well. I'll get a recording of the whole kit soon and put it up :)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 AM

I made my own remote hi-hat a few months ago. I had an extra hihat stand laying around, so I decided to chop it up!

It was a Yamaha stand with the spring mounted externally. You can see where the spring used to be in the last picture. I just removed that portion of the stand and moved it onto a rig I made from the top portion of the hihat stand and various hardware I had laying around (nuts, bolts, washers, spacers, memory locks, a little flag pole mount and a cable from a broken lawnmower).

You'll notice the duct tape; I firmly believe that no project is complete without it!
Sorry for the crappy pictures and my filthy drum set, but if you have a stand like this and want to modify it, then I can explain some things if you need to pm me.

The mini hi hats are 8" in size. It's an Istanbul Agop Sultan Splash over an Alchemy Bell Cymbal. They sound like tiny K/Z's, I guess.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
I made my own remote hi-hat a few months ago. I had an extra hihat stand laying around, so I decided to chop it up!

It was a Yamaha stand with the spring mounted externally. You can see where the spring used to be in the last picture. I just removed that portion of the stand and moved it onto a rig I made from the top portion of the hihat stand and various hardware I had laying around (nuts, bolts, washers, spacers, memory locks, a little flag pole mount and a cable from a broken lawnmower).

You'll notice the duct tape; I firmly believe that no project is complete without it!
Sorry for the crappy pictures and my filthy drum set, but if you have a stand like this and want to modify it, then I can explain some things if you need to pm me.

The mini hi hats are 8" in size. It's an Istanbul Agop Sultan Splash over an Alchemy Bell Cymbal. They sound like tiny K/Z's, I guess.
Wow, that is a great mod! I always wondered if someone could make their own remote hihat stand.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Only a small contribution.

After going a little stir crazy from a lack of being able to play, I made a practice pad out of a piece of wood I had lying around, a 43p Mousemat and some wood glue. It works fine! A little less rebound than commercial models, but that suits me.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM

I think my contribution is even smaller :)
I made this for a drama project at school last year.

Costs: 0.00
The PVC and the tape were at school.

I should have used some more expensive tape, there is still some glue on my hihat stand :)
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I think my contribution is even smaller :)
I made this for a drama project at school last year.

Costs: 0.00
The PVC and the tape were at school.

I should have used some more expensive tape, there is still some glue on my hihat stand :)
I'm sorry, but that just looks awful. I would never put duct tape anywhere near my set because it looks awful.

What's up with all the white and orange tape around all the instruments.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Ditto to DMC. What is all of that red about?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 PM

It was a drama project, and we played a version of Shakespeare's Macbeth, written by the director and the students. Every year there's such a project. The project contains playing, dance, music and video. All the songs were written by the director and the band.

It played in a soup factory. The band was the dangerous research deparment. That may explain the tape.

I was scared of losing sticks while playing, so the afternoon before the first show I had to make something to hold sticks, so I could grab a stick when I losed one. It was ugly, but it was out of sight for the audience, and that's all that mattered.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Hope nobody will get mad for posting this, as it isn`t really a mod...
Long story short: I`ve made myself two cymbal stands from crap i found around, and needed one final thing: FELTS. And i tought to myself, why not do my own? What i did is got a couple of pairs of.. those things you put in your boots ( don`t know how they are called in english) made from felt and cut some round discs, then made a hole, and there you go. They`re not perfectly round, they don`t look classy, but they do the job very well. I usually stack 3 "discs" on the bottom and 3 above, wich is more than enough.
Here are some pics, tell me what you guys think.

Making of...

Stacked

On the stand

And on the kit

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt View Post
Hope nobody will get mad for posting this, as it isn`t really a mod...
Long story short: I`ve made myself two cymbal stands from crap i found around, and needed one final thing: FELTS. And i tought to myself, why not do my own? What i did is got a couple of pairs of.. those things you put in your boots ( don`t know how they are called in english) made from felt and cut some round discs, then made a hole, and there you go. They`re not perfectly round, they don`t look classy, but they do the job very well. I usually stack 3 "discs" on the bottom and 3 above, wich is more than enough.
Here are some pics, tell me what you guys think.
Hey, this is a great Do It Yourself (DIY) project! You can make your own size felts and I find that smaller felts work better for smaller cymbals. You can also use felts to raise the cymbal lower or higher to get the right amount of tightness on the wing nut.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 AM

OK, here`s another one, this time a real mod.
I bought (with a pack of cigarettes ! ! ) a pedal simmilar to mine to use is as a test pedal for my "dirty little ideas". I`m planning on building a double pedal, but i`m still judging wether i should do it or if it would be a waste of money. Anyway, my first wish was to make a bodyplate for the pedal. No big deal, got the dimensions and went to a iron-worker acquintance, and voila. The pedal is more studrier now on plain ground, can`t wait to test it on the drum itself. The nice part is , the change is completely reversible, as the plate is held with 3 screws, one in the front and two on the heel thingy. I didn`t need to modify the pedal at all. Looks pretty amateur-ish, but it should do the job.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I bought (with a pack of cigarettes ! ! ) a pedal simmilar to mine to use is as a test pedal for my "dirty little ideas". I`m planning on building a double pedal, but i`m still judging wether i should do it or if it would be a waste of money. Anyway, my first wish was to make a bodyplate for the pedal. No big deal, got the dimensions and went to a iron-worker acquintance, and voila. The pedal is more studrier now on plain ground, can`t wait to test it on the drum itself. The nice part is , the change is completely reversible, as the plate is held with 3 screws, one in the front and two on the heel thingy. I didn`t need to modify the pedal at all. Looks pretty amateur-ish, but it should do the job.
Niiiiice. Near-OEM quality work.

I actually want to get rid of my base plates on my DW5000s because I want more portability, and swap them with the wire-frame arrangement. But the trade-off is less stability. For a double pedal, like you are planning, I would think base plates would be essential for stability.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Deathmetalconga,
looking at my dw 2002 pedals - they really have gigantic base plates! Just a thought: What about trimming the base plates at the sides for less material/more convenience without sacrificing stability? In fact, the dw base plates could be trimmed pretty much and still be quite stable.

OK, back to topic: My "snare" is a 2nd (rather: 3rd hand) marching tom. The previous owner tried attaching snare wires at the bottom by drilling holes at one side and using cords and duct tape. I didn't care because I always have a practice pad on top of the "snare" anyway. At the weekend I decided to rework this and turn the tom into a snare. I do have to buy a real snare sometime but for now I'm ok with this makeshift solution.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Tried something similar with my Ghost. I used some fiberboard rather than metal 'cause I didn't have any at the time.

Name:  DSCF1014.JPG
Views: 3392
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  DSCF1015.JPG
Views: 3361
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  DSCF1018.JPG
Views: 3394
Size:  113.4 KB
Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

Default Make your fixed HH legs swivel

Your hi-hat legs are fixed but you'd like to use a double pedal. You may be able to. Here's what I did with my Yamaha hi-hat stand:

Removed the allen screw at the base of the tripod above the pedal

Replaced with an old hi-hat clutch wing screw. (you might have to experiment with the size)

Added a hose clamp above so the legs would not move up and down when loosened. Loosen, swivel the pedal over, re-tighten and you can now fit your double bass slave pedal.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Gold Member

Nothing to extravagent, but I made myself a nice sizzle chain with a washer and some chain. I intend to paint the washer black, but I'm not sure if I'll ever actually get around to it.
Certainly a lot cheaper than the Pro-mark one.

-Jonathan
Attached Images

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
Certainly a lot cheaper than the Pro-mark one.

-Jonathan
Seriously, I don't know why anyone would buy one of those. Ball chain costs pennies. Speaking of pennies, that's what I use for sizzle. I scotch tape one or two near the edge. Sounds great and doesn't get in the way of your playing area like a ball chain can.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM

I've been thinking internal bass drum mic for a while, but couldn't afford any at the moment. So yesterday I came up with this solution. I have couple of spare stands and clamps. Mic is mounted on a shortened boom from Millenium stand (threads for counterweight turned out to be exact size for the mic). Other parts are from shortened Tama cymbal stand and also Millenium clamp for mounting it inside the bass drum. The boom might need to be shortened some more and I've been thinking to add a memoryclamp to hold clamp in place. I used Dremel, file and sandpaper to cut and smoothen the parts. Here are the pics:

Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabledrummer View Post
I've been thinking internal bass drum mic for a while, but couldn't afford any at the moment. So yesterday I came up with this solution. I have couple of spare stands and clamps. Mic is mounted on a shortened boom from Millenium stand (threads for counterweight turned out to be exact size for the mic). Other parts are from shortened Tama cymbal stand and also Millenium clamp for mounting it inside the bass drum. The boom might need to be shortened some more and I've been thinking to add a memoryclamp to hold clamp in place. I used Dremel, file and sandpaper to cut and smoothen the parts. Here are the pics:

The only problem that I can see is that the vibrations will transmit directly through the rack tom tube and into the bass drum microphone causing some sub audio frequency discoloration. I was never an advocate of placing a microphone in the enclosed environment of a bass drum, but if it works for you, all well and good.

Dennis
Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
The only problem that I can see is that the vibrations will transmit directly through the rack tom tube and into the bass drum microphone causing some sub audio frequency discoloration. I was never an advocate of placing a microphone in the enclosed environment of a bass drum, but if it works for you, all well and good.

Dennis
Good point! Actually theres no tom mounted on a tube, but theres a splash on it right now. My toms are on own stand. Maybe I need to experiment more about this mounting system. Perhaps take out that splash tube and use individual tube for mic only.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post

Dennis
Neat project!

See this same thread on 02-14-07 where I did basically this same thing as you, except a added a quarter-inch plug in a vent hole. So I plugged in the bass drum much as a guitarist plugs in his guitar. I just had to carry around a 3-foot section cable with custom-added ends when I went to gigs but other than that, it was very smooth and worked terrific.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Hey all, I got my kit back yesterday and after 7 years in storage, the hardware needs a bit of TLC. The crome is a bit pitted and maybe a bit oxidized. Is there any product I can buy that would be good for restoring it?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkav1980 View Post
Hey all, I got my kit back yesterday and after 7 years in storage, the hardware needs a bit of TLC. The crome is a bit pitted and maybe a bit oxidized. Is there any product I can buy that would be good for restoring it?
Hmmmm ... I don't know if that can be removed, without changing the rest of the finish. Have you googled some ideas?