DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Default Panning recorded drums

When recording drums, do you pan the drums from the drummers perspective (hats on left going to floor toms on right) or from an audience perspective (hats on right going to floor toms on left)?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Panning recorded drums

it's personal preference, but i like to pan it from the drummer's perspective. it makes air-drumming more fun.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 AM
audiotech

I pan my drums in a number of ways. If it's for myself, always from the drummer's perspective. If I'm working in a session in a commercial studio, it's mostly the way the audience would view the kit. If I'm on the other side of the glass, it's whatever the producer wants, or think he wants to hear. Sometimes I might hear something like "slide that tom a bit further to the right or bring it more forward, which usually means bring it up in the mix. There are really an infinite number of ways when you get right down to it.

Dennis
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 AM
sticks4drums

Good question. Got me thinking. As a drummer I like the air drumming answer. That is the way I always record myself.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

Had this debate with a few guys before. I think they should be panned to the drummers perspective, here's why:

1. Drummers and semi-drummers (ie other musos who can drum) are the only people who will notice and care about it. So you're best to keep one small group happy, considering the larger group aren't going to care, or even notice.

2. An audience watching a band from any more than a few meters away aren't going to have a strong audible indication of what side the drums/cymbals are on, all of the sound just comes from the kit. Sure they can see what the drummer is hitting but if they aren't a drummer themself, then it's not really going to matter.

I listen on headphones a lot and actually have trouble listening to a recording if they are panned opposite to how I'm used to hearing them. It's usually only on recordings with a lot of space in the mix, but for rock/punk/metal I could probably handle it as it's less obvious.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
Had this debate with a few guys before. I think they should be panned to the drummers perspective, here's why:

1. Drummers and semi-drummers (ie other musos who can drum) are the only people who will notice and care about it. So you're best to keep one small group happy, considering the larger group aren't going to care, or even notice.

2. An audience watching a band from any more than a few meters away aren't going to have a strong audible indication of what side the drums/cymbals are on, all of the sound just comes from the kit. Sure they can see what the drummer is hitting but if they aren't a drummer themself, then it's not really going to matter.

I listen on headphones a lot and actually have trouble listening to a recording if they are panned opposite to how I'm used to hearing them. It's usually only on recordings with a lot of space in the mix, but for rock/punk/metal I could probably handle it as it's less obvious.
Another good answer.