DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Decision help with Saturn bass drum heads

I have a new saturn kit and I'm currently deciding on which heads to use for my bass drum. I could use the heads that came with it Powerstroke 3 for batter and reso or I also have a new Aquarian SuperKick2 and Evans Onyx Reso.

My new kit will be played in my home studio and not with my band at our practice location so I'm not really looking or needing to get max volume/projection and would appreciate opinions from those who have saturns that might have experimented with other heads in addition to the stock heads.

Thanks - Pete
Old 08-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Decision help with Saturn bass drum heads

How big is your kick? Mine is 24x18, still using stock PS3 and ported reso. Tuned JAW and JAJAW sounds awesome with no internal muffling but I used a small towel when recording to soak up a bit of high that was bouncing around inside.

I tried a 2 ply Remo Powersonic and didn't like it at all, it was just too thuddy and restrained for my liking.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Gold Member

you will lose volume with superkick 2, or any muffled head. if you really truely want max volume you should look at things that aren't as muffled, or have no muffling at all.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM
sticks4drums

Stock heads sound great.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Stock heads sound great.
LOL Sticks....I was expecting that answer from you and I'm not doubting you at all. I think I'll just go with stock heads, are you using a pillow or bed sheet in your bass drums?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
LOL Sticks....I was expecting that answer from you and I'm not doubting you at all. I think I'll just go with stock heads, are you using a pillow or bed sheet in your bass drums?
I have two 22" x 20's and they have nothing inside. They sound great. The PS3 head is all the muffling you will need.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have two 22" x 20's and they have nothing inside. They sound great. The PS3 head is all the muffling you will need.
You know...I like some boom but I like more thump, I've never had a bass drum setup without anything in it that felt solid and was not overly boomy. I'll have to experiment, these toms are amazing in the tone and resonating department so a lil more boom in the bass might mix well in the overall sound mix.

btw...I did go with factory heads and have been messing with the bass drum on and off for a few hours now lol, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

I can't imagine using anything other than a PS3 or equivalent. It has only a little built in muffling so you can always add more if needed
Old 08-21-2011, 01:25 AM
sticks4drums

Get all the tension rods finger tip tight. Then you should only be a half a drum key turn on all the tension rods. They will sound great. My bass drums have a great sound. They are right between a short thump like most guys on here like, and a longer boom.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

i understand what you mean but getting the great sound is easy, great feeling on the beater and great sound is a slightly different story especially with my busy single bass playing. If i tune it's so low that there is no chatter on the beater then the head would be dead without even a little resonation.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Silver Member

ok sticks....I got it where I'm happy now with how it feels and how it sounds with no muffling, on the batter while the beater is pressed against the head i have some wrinkles but they disappear after i release the beater. I did the bob gatzen method where i loosened and tightened each rod till i notiched a change in wrinkle. Then the reso I made super tight, whatever it is it feels great now and it's volume is balanced well with rack tom, snare and hats.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 AM
sticks4drums

I have my reso about a quarter turn.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have my reso about a quarter turn.
tried the reso loose as well...just seemed too dead to me, maybe it's my room but I'm done messing with it for now. Tomorrow is another day, will swap lug gaskets for correct ones.

Thanks again for your help
Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 AM
sticks4drums

Any time. Saturns are the one thing I do know something about on here. :). On my site I explain some of the cool mods I did with mounts and stuff.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

Sticks.....A++++++ on the bass drum now, has some serious volume now without me having to kill all my energy slamming the beater into the head and with great punch and just enough boom to blend with the sustain of the other drums. Triplets and Quads now blend nice between the toms and the bass drum.

I think the only time I might dampen the bass ever again is only if I were to use heavily dampened heads like aquarian performance 2's but that won't happen and since I want my toms to sing makes all the more sense to have the bass wide open as well.

I'll have to do a little vid soon, when I get kit a lil more tweaked.

thanks again!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 AM
Silver Member

Saturn kit guy here.....

My only response is first record your kit live with a band on digital as well as video. Your kit will, most likely, sound much better than you think as you sit behind it. So many drummers think the sound they hear as they play at the kit is what the audience hears. I never hear my snares buzz on recordings but it drives me nuts at rehearsal. My 2 cents.

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
Saturn kit guy here.....

My only response is first record your kit live with a band on digital as well as video. Your kit will, most likely, sound much better than you think as you sit behind it. So many drummers think the sound they hear as they play at the kit is what the audience hears. I never hear my snares buzz on recordings but it drives me nuts at rehearsal. My 2 cents.
KBadd...I dont' doubt you one bit, everything from now on is getting tuned for max resonance and this way I can be loud if need be without going godzilla on the drums :-) and obiously they'll project further out and sound better.