DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Default drum heads

Hi
I have a yamaha stage custom birch and am looking to change all the tom batter heads but am not sure were to start with which head to use and wether changing the reso head will make any difference.

I play all sorts off genres.

Thanks Jack
Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: drum heads

Do you have the stock heads on there now? What do they look like - are they pitted and dented, or still flat? If you've pitted them, you may want to try a 2-ply batter, such as an Emperor or a G2. If not, you might be okay with Ambassadors or G1s.

If you're looking for more tone and sustain, go with a 2-ply; if you're looking for more attack, go with a 1-ply... generally.

If you have the financial means, I would recommend changing the resos too. They don't get hit, but they do flex every time the drum is hit; this eventually changes their sound characteristics. And if you're still doing the stock resos, they are likely lower quality heads that you ought to change anyways. However, you won't need to change them as often as batters, so this next set ought to keep you for a while.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
If you're looking for more tone and sustain, go with a 2-ply; if you're looking for more attack, go with a 1-ply... generally.
I thought it was the opposite...?
Was that just a typo or am I crazy?

Either way, Remo Emperor's over Ambassador's, or Ambassador's over Diplomats are both tried and true combos, and good places to start. From there you can start experimenting with different companies like Evans and Aquarian, as well as features like sound control rings and power dots.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Can anybody give me tryed and tested combo on the batter and resos for all birch shells.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrokid View Post
Can anybody give me tryed and tested combo on the batter and resos for all birch shells.
Thanks.
Tried and true is a clear single ply 10 mil head on the reso side and a clear two ply head on the batter side.
It was already mentioned.

If you want less ring then go with a two ply head with some sort of mild dampening system on the batter side. You may also want to have Dot reinforcements in the center of the batter if you are hitting hard.

If you are not a hard hitter and you want more tone and sustain then put single ply heads on the batter side with or without dampening or Dots.
If you want a warm sound then use a coated batter head.