DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Gone retro!

Between the thread talking about '80s drums and drum sounds and my own thread complaining about the stupid engineering design of the DW5500 three-legged hi-hat stand, I began to consider ditching DW altogether (of course, I won't since I've replaced my 5500 hi-hat with the smaller, lighter, probably more functional 3500 hi-hat to couple with my 5000 Turbo pedal).

But I kept looking back to what I played as a kid when mom & dad pretty much paid for everything, and I forgot that Tama had been around throughout the '70s. When mom & dad bought me my first proper Slingerland kit, I quickly saved up my pennies and a year later (1979) I walked into my local music store (who was a Tama dealer) and picked up a Tama King Beat Pedal when I was all of 13 years old). I played that pedal pretty much exclusively with no problems until 1984 when I went to DW stuff that I actually coupled with my first-ever pro Tama Superstar in cherry wine but in Stewart Copeland's sizes (a five-piece). Little did I know I was beginning an association with DW that I'd come to regret today;) It seems like such a long time ago.

What I remember most fondly about the King Beat was that my foot at the time actually fit inside the dimensions of the pedal (not including the heel part). So I've understood for the last 31 years why people with big feet love the Speed Cobra. I don't think my foot has gotten much bigger since then, either!

Anyway, today I found a couple of people who actually had the Tama King Beat for sale. It may be nostalgia talking, but I'm gonna try it again. I even managed to find a Tama Titan hi-hat stand in pretty good shape from 1980 as well. I think it would be a nice 'one-company' contrast on my kit. Imagine a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite kit from 2009, and then you go around back and see two vintage Tama hardware pieces from 1980! I think drummers who know will think it was a kick! I'll post pictures when they arrive and I get a chance to clean them up, but here's a couple of shots from the 1980 Tama catalog. Enjoy the trip down memory lane if you're a Tama nut like me!

Behold, one of the companies that brought you the dreaded '80s ;)
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 AM
areFish's Avatar
areFish areFish is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 572
Default Re: Gone retro!

I have a friend who still plays the pedal and HH stand pictured. He has had that gear since the early '80s.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:08 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,264
Default Re: Gone retro!

..

Both those pieces of hardware came with my '80s' Stuart Copeland style Tama Imperialstar. and I played them for 15 years. The only reason I ever changed to other gear was sheer boredom.

...

Last edited by aydee; 07-30-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
..

Both those piece of hardware came with my '80s' Stuart Copeland style Tama Imperialstar. and I played them for 15 years. The only reason I ever changed to other gear was sheer boredom.

...
I think I went through the same thing. Boredom makes people change. If I never got bored I probably would've saved alot of money over the ensuing years! Out of sheer boredom I think I've come full circle. Well, not a full circle. The full circle would've been back to the Speed King ;)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,264
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
The full circle would've been back to the Speed King ;)
Now we're talking!

....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Now we're talking!

....
Or even better, try finding an old Ludwig Ghost pedal. Those I found extremely difficult to get into...

Although I must admit, Ludwig was on to something when they decided to compress a spring into the pedal posts. They literally created the mold for the Tama King Beat, and even the Trick Pro-1V. Jojo Mayer is right: there hasn't really been an evolution in bass drum pedals - it's all been a re-hash of the old Gretsch Floating Action or the actual Camco pedal. Just like how we've never heard any new music lately, bass drum pedals suffer the same fate! If I was a better player I'd be looking for a better way like Jojo is ;)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,593
Default Re: Gone retro!

Nothing wrong with that hardware Bo, except the retro beater design that never made sense when you look at the angle it strikes the head at. Good for making wonderful "half moon" indentations in your batter head. I'm liking the "decades apart" kit/hardware concept.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Nothing wrong with that hardware Bo, except the retro beater design that never made sense when you look at the angle it strikes the head at. Good for making wonderful "half moon" indentations in your batter head. I'm liking the "decades apart" kit/hardware concept.
Would a DW beater alleviate the half moon? I haven't used a regular felt beater in years. The DW ones work out great for me. And for you historians, the DW beater isn't original either - Rogers developed it in the '70s. But Rogers had a cooler design: you simply pushed down on the beater head and you could flip it around without taking a drum key to loosen the beater.

This isn't a slam on DW, but I've just realized that an entire drum company was made successful on designs that already existed. Other than John Goode figuring out what note a shell sings best at by hitting 'em with his fist, has DW come up with anything original? Ludwig by nature of their age, came up with some of the firsts in the industry. Gretsch had their round bearing edges and usage of diecast hoops. Camco did that wonderfully copied pedal. Rogers gave the world memrilocs and allowed Pearl to directly copy something. Tama made drumming more athletic by virtue of their hardware and durability, Yamaha gave us motorcycles....DW? High-prices?

Think about it ;)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,593
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Would a DW beater alleviate the half moon? I haven't used a regular felt beater in years. The DW ones work out great for me. And for you historians, the DW beater isn't original either - Rogers developed it in the '70s. But Rogers had a cooler design: you simply pushed down on the beater head and you could flip it around without taking a drum key to loosen the beater.

This isn't a slam on DW, but I've just realized that an entire drum company was made successful on designs that already existed. Other than John Goode figuring out what note a shell sings best at by hitting 'em with his fist, has DW come up with anything original? Ludwig by nature of their age, came up with some of the firsts in the industry. Gretsch had their round bearing edges and usage of diecast hoops. Camco did that wonderfully copied pedal. Rogers gave the world memrilocs and allowed Pearl to directly copy something. Tama made drumming more athletic by virtue of their hardware and durability, Yamaha gave us motorcycles....DW? High-prices?

Think about it ;)
Pretty much any modern beater that has a vertical radius as the striking surface.

I'm with you on the "nothing new under the sun" observation, but there are smaller companies coming up with great innovations.

I know you're not DW bashing, but I have had direct experience of DW hardware failures, mainly linked to poor casting quality. My DW 5000 pedal's working very well though, but my Yamaha pedals are better made, & I'm actually preferring them from a playing POV too. That surprised me.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Pretty much any modern beater that has a vertical radius as the striking surface.

I'm with you on the "nothing new under the sun" observation, but there are smaller companies coming up with great innovations.

I know you're not DW bashing, but I have had direct experience of DW hardware failures, mainly linked to poor casting quality. My DW 5000 pedal's working very well though, but my Yamaha pedals are better made, & I'm actually preferring them from a playing POV too. That surprised me.
Yeah, I've met others who've broken pedals and I guess there's a whole generation of people who can't dance on their pedals because pedal sales are pretty constant in this part of the world. But I've never broken anything except for the spring, or the random S-hook from time-to-time. I got really good at cutting new leather connector straps back in the day and only once did a beater head break off and rip through my bass drum head. I must play really lightly compared to most folks.

At work today I was looking at some of those Yamaha pedals we use and you're right - they're built great. It's a shame Yamaha doesn't heavily tell the drumming world about their pedals. It's such a utilatarian company.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,223
Default Re: Gone retro!

Very cool, Bo ... I've got one of those pedals, in my collection ... and a legless version of that hi-hat stand ... for ... well ... when I need a legless hi-hat ...
As far as that pedal putting a "half-moon" shaped indent on the bass drum head ... I solved that years ago, by using a round beater with it ...
Can't say I'll be trading in my Yamaha Direct Drives anytime soon, though ... they're my main single pedal ...
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)

Last edited by harryconway; 07-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Gone retro!

I have an affection for old Pearl hardware. I have a lot of it because I was given a kit last year with a lot of hardware. There's an old lightweight hi-hat stand that is really excellent and I went out and bought another Pearl hi-hat stand for 20 from eBay and it's really great.

I'm just always amazed with how overlooked older hardware is. Anything from post-1983 or so is worth buying - things haven't really changed since then and when the Japanese stepped up the quality of their hardware around this time and the designs became heavy-duty enough to deal with the rigours of playing. Before that, a lot of hardware was a complete joke.

The other day I was clearing out a school classroom and had to throw some old Yamaha drums out (DP Series) because there wasn't space for it considering they have two brand-new Mapex kits. I took the DP's mounts home (they're the longer-tube ones) and cut them down and they fit right onto my Tamburo kit. The irony being that they're much more stable than the holders that came with my kit and they're not only old, they're low end!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-30-2011, 01:11 PM
uniin's Avatar
uniin uniin is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blue Mountains, Australia
Posts: 1,216
Default Re: Gone retro!

i've got a king beat and titan hardware....

if you want the king beat pay for postage and you can have it for free... i really don't like the feel of the pedal and i have speed cobras, and soon ill be buying a camco as a backup pedal

but i want to keep the titan hardware
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:47 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Gone retro!

I have a Tama pedal from the late 80s and I still play it every week at band practice.
It once was part of a double pedal set up.
It is on my Tama Stagestar kit that I leave at a bandmates house.
I love it and I look forward to my weekly bout with it.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,588
Default Re: Gone retro!

All I want is a single braced non-boom stand, that has gearless tilters, and is lightweight.
Do they make this?

I have to admit, I never even look at someones stands. I couldn't care less what hi hat or cymbal stand they use.

Hardware is made too heavy IMO. A compromise between 60's hardware and Tama Titan stuff is needed.

Perhaps I will start a business making hardware that meets my specs. I betcha I will make a mint.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 PM
areFish's Avatar
areFish areFish is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 572
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
All I want is a single braced non-boom stand, that has gearless tilters, and is lightweight.
Do they make this?
DW has a 7710 straight stand, single braced with a toothless tilter.

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areFish View Post
DW has a 7710 straight stand, single braced with a toothless tilter.

Are you sure that's a gearless tilter? I have DW stuff and every tilter I've seen from them has teeth. Larry don't like that ;) Besides, the 7000 series DW stuff is almost as heavy as their big stuff because the tubing is the same size, they just took away the extra metal on the legs.

I think Pearl has gearless tilters, but I think it's only available on their big heavy stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:19 PM
areFish's Avatar
areFish areFish is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 572
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Are you sure that's a gearless tilter? I have DW stuff and every tilter I've seen from them has teeth. Larry don't like that ;) Besides, the 7000 series DW stuff is almost as heavy as their big stuff because the tubing is the same size, they just took away the extra metal on the legs.

I think Pearl has gearless tilters, but I think it's only available on their big heavy stuff.
I don't have personal experience with this stand. Here is what DW has to say about it:

These lightweight cymbals stands are great for Jazz players or Vintage enthusiasts. Made with scaled-down tubing and single-braced legs, they pack up tightly and keep trap case weights manageable. Adjustable Cymbal Seats and Toothless Tilters with Techlock come standard.
~DW Web Site
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:31 PM
mxo721 mxo721 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ventura ca
Posts: 318
Default Re: Gone retro!

ironicaly, my landlord came over one day and handed me a DW hihat stand that matches my DW 5000 bass pedal, I was using an old beat up pacific HH stand, as I piece my kit together as money comes in...one thing I will say from a engineering point of view, that tama pedal in the pic actually looks well thought out...I'm really into symmetrics and the one thing that always kind of makes me wonder, is when i watch my foot play the DW 5000 bass pedal, you can see it pulling to the spring side, which of course is going to happen, you cannot defeat gravity. would have made more sense balance-wise to have a spring on each side, but that's just my own personal mania. I'm sure you're going to love the tama gear, it'll still be liught years ahead of what drummer had to use in the 50's and 60's.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areFish View Post
I don't have personal experience with this stand. Here is what DW has to say about it:

These lightweight cymbals stands are great for Jazz players or Vintage enthusiasts. Made with scaled-down tubing and single-braced legs, they pack up tightly and keep trap case weights manageable. Adjustable Cymbal Seats and Toothless Tilters with Techlock come standard.
~DW Web Site

Hmm. Maybe they're right on the toothless tilter parts (but all my 5000-series stuff has teeth in it - so it could be a new addition), but you really should see and lift those 7000-series stands. Maybe DW's definition of keeping trap case weights manageable means it weighs less than 120 pounds. It could be relative: they expect you to buy their 9000-series stuff, so anything under that is going to be manageable!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxo721 View Post
ironicaly, my landlord came over one day and handed me a DW hihat stand that matches my DW 5000 bass pedal, I was using an old beat up pacific HH stand, as I piece my kit together as money comes in...one thing I will say from a engineering point of view, that tama pedal in the pic actually looks well thought out...I'm really into symmetrics and the one thing that always kind of makes me wonder, is when i watch my foot play the DW 5000 bass pedal, you can see it pulling to the spring side, which of course is going to happen, you cannot defeat gravity. would have made more sense balance-wise to have a spring on each side, but that's just my own personal mania. I'm sure you're going to love the tama gear, it'll still be liught years ahead of what drummer had to use in the 50's and 60's.
Wow. That's kinda' cool to have your landlord bring over DW stuff!

Regarding your gravity idea, then that happens to every pedal because they're all designed that way (and they have been since the dawn of time apparently). You're not alone. And the 5000 pedal design does work very well - I've liked mine since I first played it in the 80s.

But it's funny, I went to Tama in 1980 because I had to play that really light stuff they designed in the decades prior. In fact, Tama was the only game in town if you didn't want to go with the Rogers stuff. The only problem is, there hasn't been a real evolution since Tama came along. Things just got bigger and bigger and way over-engineered.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,588
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areFish View Post
DW has a 7710 straight stand, single braced with a toothless tilter.

O thank you kind sir, I am not the greatest researcher. Really, you probably just made a sale.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 PM
areFish's Avatar
areFish areFish is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 572
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
O thank you kind sir, I am not the greatest researcher. Really, you probably just made a sale.
Hey no problem. If you end up getting one, I hope it lasts forever.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 PM
mxo721 mxo721 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ventura ca
Posts: 318
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Wow. That's kinda' cool to have your landlord bring over DW stuff!

Regarding your gravity idea, then that happens to every pedal because they're all designed that way (and they have been since the dawn of time apparently). You're not alone. And the 5000 pedal design does work very well - I've liked mine since I first played it in the 80s.

But it's funny, I went to Tama in 1980 because I had to play that really light stuff they designed in the decades prior. In fact, Tama was the only game in town if you didn't want to go with the Rogers stuff. The only problem is, there hasn't been a real evolution since Tama came along. Things just got bigger and bigger and way over-engineered.
yeh, it's that my landlord is a working musician, plays in a few different bands, and in this case, a club owner, owed him money, and is also a drummer, with tons of extra gear, so he got soem of the money he was owed, and just gave me this hh stand, cause he couldn't bear to watch me play that thrashed pacific stand another minute...works for me :D
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxo721 View Post
yeh, it's that my landlord is a working musician, plays in a few different bands, and in this case, a club owner, owed him money, and is also a drummer, with tons of extra gear, so he got soem of the money he was owed, and just gave me this hh stand, cause he couldn't bear to watch me play that thrashed pacific stand another minute...works for me :D
That's a great landlord. I wish people would give me stuff because they see me struggling with something inadequate! Must be my bad karma ;)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,825
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I know you're not DW bashing, but I have had direct experience of DW hardware failures, mainly linked to poor casting quality. My DW 5000 pedal's working very well though, but my Yamaha pedals are better made, & I'm actually preferring them from a playing POV too. That surprised me.
My buddy who used to work at a local GC has many stories of guys coming in with broken hinges on their DW pedals. He even has a DW 5000 on his kit with a broken hinge.

This is why I love my Axis. I bought a single pedal used for nice and cheap which turned out to be one of the first 100 pedals ever built, had a little bit of problems with the original spring though. A few hours with a set of hex wrenches, a little elbow grease and a new $30 spring component has the pedal playing like new again. I'm a bit of a stomper with size 11 hooves so if that that thing hasn't broken yet I think it'll be fine.
__________________
Do robots dream of E-kits?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Gone retro!

I am currently using single braced hardware from Tama and Sonor.
I have single braced hi-hat and snare stands.
No problems!
I don't understand why one would need a double braced stand to play Moderate Rock, Blues, and Jazz?

Has anyone tried the stands from Gibraltar that have the legs that sit flat on the ground?
I haven't used stands like that since I was a kid. I was thinking of getting a few.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I am currently using single braced hardware from Tama and Sonor.
I have single braced hi-hat and snare stands.
No problems!
I don't understand why one would need a double braced stand to play Moderate Rock, Blues, and Jazz?

Has anyone tried the stands from Gibraltar that have the legs that sit flat on the ground?
I haven't used stands like that since I was a kid. I was thinking of getting a few.
I had those Gibraltar stands just recently and those are pretty cool. The only reason I didn't stick with them is the odd chance my stands get set up on a rolling stage or platform. They easily fall over with cymbals on them when you shake the whole stage around, so I acquiesed and had to opt for the normal tripod bases. But if you never set up on a rolling platform, they're perfect. You should check them out - they've made the bases slightly wider than in the 50s and 60s, and they use modern nylon bushings on the tubes and a nice, solid tilter mechanism. DW also makes them, but they cost more.

Rumor has it Peter Erskine left Yamaha for DW because Yamaha wouldn't do flat-based cymbal stands. I don't know how true that is though (if at all), but it would be a funny story.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 AM
chris tee chris tee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Between the thread talking about '80s drums and drum sounds and my own thread complaining about the stupid engineering design of the DW5500 three-legged hi-hat stand, I began to consider ditching DW altogether (of course, I won't since I've replaced my 5500 hi-hat with the smaller, lighter, probably more functional 3500 hi-hat to couple with my 5000 Turbo pedal).

But I kept looking back to what I played as a kid when mom & dad pretty much paid for everything, and I forgot that Tama had been around throughout the '70s. When mom & dad bought me my first proper Slingerland kit, I quickly saved up my pennies and a year later (1979) I walked into my local music store (who was a Tama dealer) and picked up a Tama King Beat Pedal when I was all of 13 years old). I played that pedal pretty much exclusively with no problems until 1984 when I went to DW stuff that I actually coupled with my first-ever pro Tama Superstar in cherry wine but in Stewart Copeland's sizes (a five-piece). Little did I know I was beginning an association with DW that I'd come to regret today;) It seems like such a long time ago.

What I remember most fondly about the King Beat was that my foot at the time actually fit inside the dimensions of the pedal (not including the heel part). So I've understood for the last 31 years why people with big feet love the Speed Cobra. I don't think my foot has gotten much bigger since then, either!

Anyway, today I found a couple of people who actually had the Tama King Beat for sale. It may be nostalgia talking, but I'm gonna try it again. I even managed to find a Tama Titan hi-hat stand in pretty good shape from 1980 as well. I think it would be a nice 'one-company' contrast on my kit. Imagine a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite kit from 2009, and then you go around back and see two vintage Tama hardware pieces from 1980! I think drummers who know will think it was a kick! I'll post pictures when they arrive and I get a chance to clean them up, but here's a couple of shots from the 1980 Tama catalog. Enjoy the trip down memory lane if you're a Tama nut like me!

Behold, one of the companies that brought you the dreaded '80s ;)
I remember you posted on a thread about the speed cobra. I wear a men's size 6 shoe and was worried about the SC being too big for my feet. I thought the longboard may bother me at first or somehow inhibit my playing, but honestly, I realized it's not much longer than a regular pedal. So, I like it so far. I was able to try it at a Guitar Center once... alongside the DW's, Pearl and Yamaha models that are popular. And none of them compared to the SC. It's my first pedal upgrade, so I don't have much to compare it to by way of experience, and because the feel is so different than my first pedal, I do have a little bit of a learning curve....the SC is way smoother. So, It's a learning curve for me. But, I was wondering if you've tried the SC since you're last post about it and, if so, what your thoughts are compared to the Iron Cobra? I was also interested in the Iron Cobra, but since I had only tested the SC (and don't have a music store anywhere close to where I live), I decided to go with the SC.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris tee View Post
I remember you posted on a thread about the speed cobra. I wear a men's size 6 shoe and was worried about the SC being too big for my feet. I thought the longboard may bother me at first or somehow inhibit my playing, but honestly, I realized it's not much longer than a regular pedal. So, I like it so far. I was able to try it at a Guitar Center once... alongside the DW's, Pearl and Yamaha models that are popular. And none of them compared to the SC. It's my first pedal upgrade, so I don't have much to compare it to by way of experience, and because the feel is so different than my first pedal, I do have a little bit of a learning curve....the SC is way smoother. So, It's a learning curve for me. But, I was wondering if you've tried the SC since you're last post about it and, if so, what your thoughts are compared to the Iron Cobra? I was also interested in the Iron Cobra, but since I had only tested the SC (and don't have a music store anywhere close to where I live), I decided to go with the SC.
If the pedal fits for you, that's great. I did get a chance to try the Speed Cobra at a Sam Ash not too long ago and for me wearing size 5 shoes, it did feel quite a bit longer than what I'm used to. But it was a wonderfully smooth feeling pedal, but I didn't think it felt incredibly different compared to the DW5000/9000, or the Trick, or any of the other new super pedals you can find in the shops. Over the years I've discovered pedals are like shoes: you find something you like and you keep wearing it. You might try a different style of shoe but there's always one type of shoe you keep coming back to. I don't have a problem playing any pedal I put my foot on, I'm just trying to get to the nirvana-stage of pedal usage. In addition to getting into this old King Beat, I did find a same-era Tama Flexi-Flyer pedal I'm thinking about getting to. It's one of those super-simple pedals with a cam and a strap like what I grew up with (if it wasn't a Ludwig Speed King). I'll bet either one will do. I may do a de-modification to my DW5000 pedal and put a cam with a strap back on that, I don't know yet. But at the same time, trying to be different all the time leads me to these experiments (or conclusions) that if I use stuff nobody in their right mind would ever use, there will be something about my playing that's just different from the next guy.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I had those Gibraltar stands just recently and those are pretty cool. The only reason I didn't stick with them is the odd chance my stands get set up on a rolling stage or platform. They easily fall over with cymbals on them when you shake the whole stage around, so I acquiesed and had to opt for the normal tripod bases. But if you never set up on a rolling platform, they're perfect. You should check them out - they've made the bases slightly wider than in the 50s and 60s, and they use modern nylon bushings on the tubes and a nice, solid tilter mechanism. DW also makes them, but they cost more.
Thanks Bo, I remember my 60s stands swaying a lot and the rubber feet of the day used to split and fall off easily.
I imagine that with a wider base and modern feet they will be much better.
My experience with Gibraltar is that they make only good products.
I do understand that they will sway more than a triangle base stand.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Thanks Bo, I remember my 60s stands swaying a lot and the rubber feet of the day used to split and fall off easily.
I imagine that with a wider base and modern feet they will be much better.
My experience with Gibraltar is that they make only good products.
I do understand that they will sway more than a triangle base stand.
I think you should treat yourself, Bob. You can find 'em for $49.99 new with free shipping from alot of places! Hell, if you buy more than one they'd probably give you a discount ;)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Gone retro!

I'm thinking of wrapping my old Gretsch in White Marine Pearl.
I may finish the new look of My old kit with flat stands.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 AM
nickg's Avatar
nickg nickg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sharon PA, USA
Posts: 597
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
The full circle would've been back to the Speed King ;)
one of these days i'll get another Speed King just for the heck of it. i haven't played one since i swapped it out for a Rogers Swiv-o-Matic back in 1970!!!!!
__________________
Mapex Pro-M kit
Paiste Cymbals
Attack Heads
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,513
Default Re: Gone retro!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Are you sure that's a gearless tilter? I have DW stuff and every tilter I've seen from them has teeth. Larry don't like that ;) Besides, the 7000 series DW stuff is almost as heavy as their big stuff because the tubing is the same size, they just took away the extra metal on the legs.
I know you're kinda anti-DW gear (right now haha!)....

It's absolutely a gearless tilter on the 7000 stands. I have 4 or 5 of these, and there is a noticable difference in weight between these and the regular HD 9000 stands.

The tubing is one step down from the standard HD 9000 (1/2" top, or, 5/8 on boom version, 3/4 middle, 1" base).
Where the leg itself attaches to the tube (at the bottom) is very well done, and the thing that tightens the legs to the tube is well done. A nice and sturdy stand.

The 3500 double braced stands have a regular tilter, but are still lighter than the 9000 [1/2" boom] [3/4" upper tube] [1" base tube] The top (tilter) tube on the straight is I think 5/8.
I got mine when they were still the 9000 "light" series.

I have a few of each style (straight & boom) and I just use the toothless boom arm in the booms. Actually, I can't remember now what I did with the geared tops....

If I don't use the Flat Base 6000 cymbal stands, I use the 7000's, and the hardware case is still manageable carrying up/down my walkout stairs.

OK, I'm done being a hardware geek...for now.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Cameo's Avatar
Cameo Cameo is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: Gone retro!

I bought some DW6000 stands - they're amazing!
I even bought a DW9002 pedal and I'm thinking about buying the hi-hat stand and a extra single for cowbell and when I don't need double (I play funk, so I don't need it often..)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 PM
areFish's Avatar
areFish areFish is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 572
Default Re: Gone retro!

I just bought all DW9000 series stuff. I'm still waiting delivery on a few items. I didn't realize just how heavy this series was until my snare stand arrived. That thing is a beast.

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,437
Default Re: Gone retro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areFish View Post
I just bought all DW9000 series stuff. I'm still waiting delivery on a few items. I didn't realize just how heavy this series was until my snare stand arrived. That thing is a beast.

Well, you know what to do when you need help jacking the car up ;)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com