DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

Default difference between aquarian focus x and studio x?

I wanted to try an aquarian head on my new snare, and got it down the the focus x and studio x.
They are both the same thickness (10 mil), but appear to have different muffling methods.
I think that the focus x has a thin ring tucked into the hoop (like PS3), and the studio has an actual ring around the bottom of the head, not touching the hoop.

I'm guessing the studio x will be more muffled than the focus x?
Can someone who's played or knows about both tell me the differences.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: difference between aquarian focus x and studio x?

the focus-x has a thin ring like a powerstroke 3, its vented (has little holes) so its not AS muffled, studio X has the little foam rings similar to a superkick....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdq_FsA29r4

i'm playing a focus-X on a 14x5 70's imperial star, tuned really low here....
Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
the focus-x has a thin ring like a powerstroke 3, its vented (has little holes) so its not AS muffled, studio X has the little foam rings similar to a superkick....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdq_FsA29r4

i'm playing a focus-X on a 14x5 70's imperial star, tuned really low here....
All right thanks that what I thought. I imagine the foam material also adds more muffling than the thin ring.
I'm gonna go with the focus x.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

the focus has a vented muffling ring which as the name states gives a focused sound with little or no resonance/ring, the studio x has a thin ring of power dot type material adheared to the underside edge of the head which removes some of the unwanted high frequences but still allows a full open sound, it is not the same type of foam that is used on a super kick and does not muffle nearly as much as the focus x, i play studio x on all my toms and studio x coated on my snares, also if you find the focus x is too muffled and the studio x is not enough try the studio x with power dot, i find the extra dot material in the center removes a little bit more of the ring but remember its easier to remove resonance with a sound control ring or moon jells etc, than it is to try to add it.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
the focus has a vented muffling ring which as the name states gives a focused sound with little or no resonance/ring, the studio x has a thin ring of power dot type material adheared to the underside edge of the head which removes some of the unwanted high frequences but still allows a full open sound, it is not the same type of foam that is used on a super kick and does not muffle nearly as much as the focus x, i play studio x on all my toms and studio x coated on my snares, also if you find the focus x is too muffled and the studio x is not enough try the studio x with power dot, i find the extra dot material in the center removes a little bit more of the ring but remember its easier to remove resonance with a sound control ring or moon jells etc, than it is to try to add it.
Oh so the studio x has less effective muffling? Are you sure of this?

If that's true then I'll want to go with this one, and yes I was planning on the dot anyway.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

yep, ive been using studio x's for about 12 years now, the studio x ring is just a sticker, basically a classic clear with the same material the power dots are made of around the edge, the focus x is like having a sound control ring/remo o attached to it plus with the holes it really deadens things up imo, if you use the focus x your suck with it, if you use the studio x you can always add a ring or moon jell or peal the sticker off if need be.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...tudio-x-series
Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
yep, ive been using studio x's for about 12 years now, the studio x ring is just a sticker, basically a classic clear with the same material the power dots are made of around the edge, the focus x is like having a sound control ring/remo o attached to it plus with the holes it really deadens things up imo, if you use the focus x your suck with it, if you use the studio x you can always add a ring or moon jell or peal the sticker off if need be.

All right thanks, I'll try the studio x. The hi energy is more "dead" than both of them, am I correct?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Gold Member

ive never used one but with a layer of power dot material covering the entire head i wuld have to say yes.