DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Like going home today. But I need some parts help!

Hey everybody!

So yesterday I received in the mail some circa 1980 hardware. A Tama Titan hi-hat stand and a Tama King Beat bass drum pedal. After a bit of cleaning and adjusting, the King Beat to me felt like I just went home. It was really my first indestructible pedal when I was a kid back then (I had played a Slingerland Tempo King before that and at 12 I really wanted a pedal that would hold up). I toyed around with the adjust spring housing and set it pretty loose and that was it! Everything else was fine and the pedal plays like butter. My obvious re-impression of this (after years of playing the DW pedals since then) was that my entire foot fit inside the dimensions of the pedal plate! That's what I was missing, I think. The footboard is a bit longer and to me, my heel actually falls within the pedal dimensions before you get to the actual heel plate. Heel-toe technique is extremely easy for me on this pedal.

Next up was the circa 1980 Titan hi-hat stand and this is where I need some help. I discovered that the cymbal seat rod hole is small enough around the pull rod that it made the up-down action quite sluggish. I tried drilling the plastic hole bigger, but stopped because I didn't want the current plastic cymbal seat to crack. At first I thought there was something wrong with the internal spring losing it's ability to do its job. But when I took the entire top tube off of the stand, the pedal action was pretty quick and loose. The top tube on my new DW5500 hi-hat stand is a 1" tube and fits perfectly into the Tama base, and this solved my problem because the cymbal seat on the DW tube has a large hole for the pull rod and the pull rod is left alone. Problem solved, right?

Well, I already have the original top tube (1"), and the cheapest thing to do would be to remove the old cymbal seat and replace it with a new one. I looked up those Gibraltar ones (SC-4980J) and they say it'll fit on a 1" tube. Has anyone bought one of these and can confirm this is indeed the case?
The second easiest thing to do, but a bit more expensive, is to try to get a new DW5500 top tube because I know this solution works already. I'd keep the one I already have, but in order for me to buy my retro-hardware, I sold the DW hi-hat stand to a friend who'll be picking mine up tomorrow.

Obviously, I'd like someone to tell me the Gibraltar hi-hat replacement seat will work on a 1" tube. Anybody use one?

However I solve the hi-hat issue, my feet are really happy with how the pedals feel. To actually have a hi-hat whose three-legged base does not rotate is so refreshing! And a bass drum pedal where I don't have to worry about the spring or little S-hook breaking over time, and actually will fold up to take up less space....it's like it's 1980 again. Weird. But good.

[it'd be funny if somebody asked me if I wanted to jam with their punk band - which is what unfolded for me in 1980 and got me started ;) ]
Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Like going home today. But I need some parts help!

Thank you to the 39 of you who read this post. But I managed to fix this hi-hat! The new Pearl replacement cymbal seat actually fits into a 1" tube. It was just a matter of using a flat-head screwdriver to lift out the old seat and I pushed in the new one. Might go back and wrap a small amount of electrical tape on it and then hammer it back in so there's no question of it staying in the tube, but the dilemma has been solved. Not a bad fix for $5 - I shoulda' took two of them to keep one as a spare.

Honestly, some people buy vintage drums to get the feeling of nostalgia again, when in reality, you're still using your normal sticks with probably the same heads. If you want to feel totally old skool, go back to your ancient pedals. Your feet are in constant contact with those and remember.

So I have a new DW5000 turbo pedal and a new DW3500 3-legged hi-hat stand if anyone needs those.....
Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

I like old pedals. I have a really odd 'Jacques Capelle' pedal in my study at the moment with the most bizarre chain mechanism you've ever seen. It plays very well; but Christ it looks fragile:

Images found courtesy of Google Image Search.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

I cut up my old Tama Titan Hi-Hat stand about a year ago to use the base to make a double tom holder for my Tama Stagestar practice kit.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I like old pedals. I have a really odd 'Jacques Capelle' pedal in my study at the moment with the most bizarre chain mechanism you've ever seen. It plays very well; but Christ it looks fragile:

Images found courtesy of Google Image Search.
So did the original DW5000 when they first bought the old Camco design. I remember that Jaques Capelle pedal. Really smooth. And very French ;)

I'm going to try to find another King Beat to keep as a spare or maybe an old Flexi Flyer. The neat thing I discovered was that Tama left the entire pedal plate ready to be used with other pedals. The heel plate has the notches for a radius rod - which means I make make a flexi flyer from a newer pedal just by swapping the footboards. That might be interesting too.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

My nephew has it now, but I still get on nicely with my old Camco pedal. I don't even care that it's a single chain and the foot board moves a little.
Great feel.
I still like my old 5000 strap drive pedal--that my son "stole" from me when he was 3 (no kidding). He still has it on his kit (6 years later), and there's not a chance I'm getting it back.