DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Drum module

Hi!

I'm looking for a drum module on which it is possible to use my own drum sounds with. I want to use external triggers to trigg my acustic bass drum and snare drum. I know that Roland spd-s and spd-30 have these functions but they have 100 more functions that I don't need, and they're very expensive.

I wonder if there is a module with this fuction that doesn't have pads and all these other functions.

Thanks/Buster
Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Drum module

The Yamaha DTX 900 (950?) will import .wav files, but it's going to be costly as well, lots more than the Roland pad option. But, the Yamaha is made for multiple trigger inputs, I don't know how many the SPD-S has. the SPD-S has pads, the Yamaha module doesn't, so there may be a future advantage with the Roland.

Unfortunately with electronics, you almost always have pay for or grapple with a lot of other functions just to do something very basic. Even modules made specifically for drummers do a lot more than any single needs.

Bermuda
Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystah View Post
Hi!

I'm looking for a drum module on which it is possible to use my own drum sounds with. I want to use external triggers to trigg my acustic bass drum and snare drum. I know that Roland spd-s and spd-30 have these functions but they have 100 more functions that I don't need, and they're very expensive.

I wonder if there is a module with this fuction that doesn't have pads and all these other functions.

Thanks/Buster
Get either a DTXtreme III or DTX900 module...it is a sampler as well as being a module with it's own internal sounds (Maple, Birch Oak, Beech, etc..)..you can the DTX III versions on ebay used ($900-$1100 price range) and the DTXtreme III is upgradeable to the DTX900 version (for free) at DTXperience..
Old 08-05-2011, 11:03 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Get either a DTXtreme III or DTX900 module...it is a sampler as well as being a module with it's own internal sounds (Maple, Birch Oak, Beech, etc..)..you can the DTX III versions on ebay used ($900-$1100 price range) and the DTXtreme III is upgradeable to the DTX900 version (for free) at DTXperience..
Why you hate Roland so much ? :(
Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Why you hate Roland so much ? :(
I don't hate roland, they're just overpriced for what you get (and their sound/synth samples are dated IMO).....I used/owned roland for approx. 6 yrs. exclusively (in a church praise band) and still use a roland td-20sx at a church I'm playing at now...however, the probem as I stated earlier is that they're overpriced for what you get..and really their sounds have not improved that much since the td-10exp. yet their price has significantly gone up..(e.g., a td-10exp. kit back in 2001 could be bought for 3999..it's replacement today costs $6999..honestly there's not $3000 worth of improvements)..to boot I A/B both top kit modules regularly (DTXIII/900 and td-20sx)...simply put, the yamaha is a better module..it has more editing features, better sounds, more inputs, more zones, better aux. features (i.e., groove check, better click, better sound/song loops, etc...) and the module is $1000 cheaper as well...also, getting back to the original question, Bystah asked what module out there has the ability to sample sounds..roland modules do not have this feature...the DTXIII/900 module does...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 08-06-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Might look at the Alesis Dm10...699