DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Default What Size Tube Lugs?

I have a Ludwig 5 x 14" Acrolite Snare. I want to upgrade the original lugs to Tube Lugs.

However, what size tube lugs do I need (to fit the pre-drilled holes in the shell perfectly)?

Would this switch have any bearing on the tone, resonance, or sensitivity of this drum?

Btw, where is the Cheapest place to buy these tube lugs? (I'm gonna try to sell my old Ludwig lugs to "break even" with these tube lugs.)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What Size Tube Lugs?

I suggest getting the Ludwig P-2253E tube lug.

It's not that expensive, and it's a nicer lug than a generic tube lug.
The screws are beefier as well.

Tubes look pretty nice on the Acro.
Black Galaxy or "regular" finish on yours?

I put tubes on my 6.5, but went back to the bowties. They just look cool to me with the Black Galaxy finish.
Mine has the 100th Anni badge, so maybe that has something to do with the way the lugs look to me also...

Not a huge change in tone going to tubes, & the drum is pretty sensitive anyway.
42's sound pretty good on my Acro if you are looking for a little "more" out of it.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I suggest getting the Ludwig P-2253E tube lug.

It's not that expensive, and it's a nicer lug than a generic tube lug.
The screws are beefier as well.

Tubes look pretty nice on the Acro.
Black Galaxy or "regular" finish on yours?

I put tubes on my 6.5, but went back to the bowties. They just look cool to me with the Black Galaxy finish.
Mine has the 100th Anni badge, so maybe that has something to do with the way the lugs look to me also...

Not a huge change in tone going to tubes, & the drum is pretty sensitive anyway.
42's sound pretty good on my Acro if you are looking for a little "more" out of it.
It's a Blackrolite.

Where did you buy those lugs? Would a P-2253E fit my 5 x 14" or a 6.5" x 14"? They seem pretty expensive.

You can get 10 lugs on ebay for about $50.

But the question still remains, what sized tube lugs do I need?

On a side note, I wonder what would happen if I took some fine steel wool to the snare shell. I wonder if I can turn it into a shiny Aluminum Finish. Hmmm....
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
It's a Blackrolite.

Where did you buy those lugs? Would a P-2253E fit my 5 x 14" or a 6.5" x 14"? They seem pretty expensive.

You can get 10 lugs on ebay for about $50.

But the question still remains, what sized tube lugs do I need?

On a side note, I wonder what would happen if I took some fine steel wool to the snare shell. I wonder if I can turn it into a shiny Aluminum Finish. Hmmm....
Buy them from a local Ludwig dealer. The parts are always in stock at Ludwig and are easily available. Even GC should be able to get them.
The 5 and 6.5 use the same lug size. You could put Imperial lugs on it if you wanted. Those look good on that drum as well.

The Blackrolite is a powder coated finish, steel wool will just scratch it up.
You'd want to take it to a powder coating, or plating place to get the existing finish off.

Measure the hole spacing for the size, not sure what the exact measurement is. It's 2" and something (3/8?).

Also, if you get tubes from somewhere other than Ludwig, you'll still need the gaskets that bring the tubes out a little (to match in line with the hoops) , and you WILL want those.
The gaskets that come with generic tube lugs (if at all) are thin, thin, thin. Another friend switching to tubes learned the hard way.
Ludwig supplies the thicker, nice gaskets with the lugs.

Good luck! Post pics when it's done!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
I have a Ludwig 5 x 14" Acrolite Snare. I want to upgrade the original lugs to Tube Lugs.

However, what size tube lugs do I need (to fit the pre-drilled holes in the shell perfectly)?

Would this switch have any bearing on the tone, resonance, or sensitivity of this drum?

Btw, where is the Cheapest place to buy these tube lugs? (I'm gonna try to sell my old Ludwig lugs to "break even" with these tube lugs.)
Hey ..the hole spacing for the lugs is 2 3/16 " center to center.Thats imperial measurement....you figure out the metric sizes.

Steve B