DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

Default Will double ply reso's deaden my tone?

I have a 16" Floor tom that I would like quicker decay on. Seems to ring forever, but that's just my opinion.

Right now, it has a G2 and a DW Stock clear reso (single ply).
If I use a coated G2 for the reso, will that deaden the tone or just quicken the decay?

I have the reso head much tighter than the batter, and it's pretty well in tune. I don't want to use moongels, control rings, wallets, tape, etc.

thanks!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Will double ply reso's deaden my tone?

It'll do a little bit of both....ultimately the drum should sound a little more focused than it does now. I've known a few guys who used double ply heads on the reso of floor toms for this very purpose. I think it's OTT on a 10 or 12 inch tom (but many would disagree)....but on a big boomy 16+ floor tom, they can work wonders if that's the sound you're chasing.

I say give it a go.....nothing ventured, nothing gained. For the cost of one head, it's well worth the experiment. If you like it, it's a keeper. If not, you have a spare batter.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
It'll do a little bit of both....ultimately the drum should sound a little more focused than it does now. I've known a few guys who used double ply heads on the reso of floor toms for this very purpose. I think it's OTT on a 10 or 12 inch tom (but many would disagree)....but on a big boomy 16+ floor tom, they can work wonders if that's the sound you're chasing.

I say give it a go.....nothing ventured, nothing gained. For the cost of one head, it's well worth the experiment. If you like it, it's a keeper. If not, you have a spare batter.
Good point PFOG.

Especially about keeping the head if it doesn't work. Even considered getting the Aquarian Performance II's for this purpose. Your strategy at least leaves me a useful head - worse case scenario.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

I use either Evans G2's or Remo Emperors as resonant heads on my kit and I love the sound. Yes, more focused and possibly a little less resonant, but I don't notice that so much as I do the focused sound. There's a floor tom roll Neil Peart does on the song Xanadu that I'm always trying to get, and although I don't know what heads he used on that record or what kind of tuning or engineering techniques he used, using both same weight heads on top and bottom seems to get me closer to it.

That said, I've been doing this so long now I'm willing to bet real money that if somebody gave me a drum with whatever heads on it, I'll make it sound good ;) [Note: this doesn't mean I'll play it good, just that I'll make it sound good!]
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 AM
audiotech

If that combination tends to be a bit too arresting, take a step back and just use a G1 coated resonant head. I use Ambassador 10 mil coated resonant heads on my DW Classic toms with superb results.

Dennis
Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If that combination tends to be a bit too arresting, take a step back and just use a G1 coated resonant head. I use Ambassador 10 mil coated resonant heads on my DW Classic toms with superb results.

Dennis
"Coated" - note taken!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I use either Evans G2's or Remo Emperors as resonant heads on my kit and I love the sound. Yes, more focused and possibly a little less resonant, but I don't notice that so much as I do the focused sound. There's a floor tom roll Neil Peart does on the song Xanadu that I'm always trying to get, and although I don't know what heads he used on that record or what kind of tuning or engineering techniques he used, using both same weight heads on top and bottom seems to get me closer to it.

That said, I've been doing this so long now I'm willing to bet real money that if somebody gave me a drum with whatever heads on it, I'll make it sound good ;) [Note: this doesn't mean I'll play it good, just that I'll make it sound good!]
Bo - are you using coated G2's?

I'll ask Mickey or Goofy to track you down when I bring my 16" DW FT to the kingdom!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Bo - are you using coated G2's?

I'll ask Mickey or Goofy to track you down when I bring my 16" DW FT to the kingdom!
Once I used coated, this time around I've gone clear. The difference is slightly negligible to me. And security won't let you in the gate with the floor tom ;)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Once I used coated, this time around I've gone clear. The difference is slightly negligible to me. And security won't let you in the gate with the floor tom ;)
Ha! Thanks for the tip Bo! (both of them!)