DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Has Anyone Seen Stan (Steamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Nah, not whinging, just setting myself up for the inevitable fall, & I will post it (hand trembles at this point) when the bloody video edit's done! I'm thinking of bringing MFB in as chief whingeing consultant to jump in with a preemptive multi faceted flame post. That way, I can get the pain dealt with in one go.
What are your requirements? I'm quite happy to pre-compose some flame if you want. It's pretty simple, I'll just go and get my 'total dickhead' hat from the cupboard and we can start. Oh wait, I'm already wearing that hat!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Me too. Maybe he's in Paki-Stan. Or Uzbeki-Stan.
I swear I saw him the other day in Stanlislaus. Nice little town in Central California.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know I'm licking my chops....

Like wolves circling the wounded gazelle...

JK Andy, can't wait to hear...
You do have to have a thick skin to be a musician, don't you?. I saw an interview with Phil Collins and he was talking about his injury and how he may never play again. And he added, I bet there are a lot of people out there who are happy about that, esp some critics. I could tell that the negative publicity affected him. I thought, man you're Phil Collins, someone needs to shake some sense into you. I've heard from some many accomplished musicians, that bad press could get the best of them. Failure is the prospect of trying to please everyone.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 07-29-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm thinking of bringing MFB in as chief whingeing consultant to jump in with a preemptive multi faceted flame post. That way, I can get the pain dealt with in one go.
How about a panel of resident judges? MFB, Larry and Foxy (Argentina's Simon Cowell) - the musical equivalent of a colonoscopy!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
How about a panel of resident judges? MFB, Larry and Foxy (Argentina's Simon Cowell) - the musical equivalent of a colonoscopy!
Unlike a colonoscopy, I don't usually perform a judgement. Instead I just sit there and stare menacingly...
Old 07-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haha...

"How to destroy a drummer's sense of self worth in three easy steps...."
Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Failure is the prospect of trying to please everyone.
Truer words yet to be spoken Ken...........

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Okay here's a raw take {no mixing} from the recent studio session from the trio Synergy. The tune is called "Go Forth" written by the group's leader. There's a few other different versions of this tune in the can with one featuring an extended drum solo in the middle.

Didn't want to start a seperate thread about it in the playing section because it will be sometime till further production work is complete on this recording project so enjoy this taste I have to offer. My own drums and pies.......

http://www.mediafire.com/?o1br5weennvcm05

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Some say it takes a lot of nerve to post, but man you got some nerve posting.

How's that to get you started? LOL!!!
Here some of the ones that have accompnied my videos.

1. The pacing of that video was rather arrogant.

2. It was interesting until the championship singles (anything with singles makes you a bad guy).

3. Your facial expressions were too self assured for my tastes.

4. Personally I prefer not to play with inhuman technique.

5. When you get older you'll learn that playing like everyone else will make you a better player.

6. I have no idea what that music is but you're probably not feeling it.

7. Why do you feel the need to post videos in the third person?

8. I don't feel the need to post video and have my ego stroked. I just like making my opinions known.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith View Post
I have no idea what that music is but you're probably not feeling it.
That's one of my all time personal favorites i've encountered Matt both on the net and in the flesh. Usually these types of highly negative comments i've found with a bit of research coming from folks who've never listened to the type of ensemble music i've pretty much dedicated my whole life to performing professionally.

But for the sake of checking in after my nearly 6 month hiatus from internet forums lets not focus on the negatives and consider the positives instead. With that in mind hope some folks out there enjoy the sample of what i'm up to I recently posted {sorry if the music file link is slow to finish opening due to all the extra "stuff" they put on these types of public sharing sites}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
But for the sake of checking in after my nearly 6 month hiatus from internet forums lets not focus on the negatives and consider the positives instead.
Those were the positive ones. The negative ones are registered with law enforcement agencies :)
Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Even though you are on the receiving end of all that spew Matt, it's well known that if you piss people off, you're doing something good. So you have that going for you anyway. Who's insulting them right? At least you're being insulted lol.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay here's a raw take {no mixing} from the recent studio session from the trio Synergy. The tune is called "Go Forth" written by the group's leader. There's a few other different versions of this tune in the can with one featuring an extended drum solo in the middle.

Love it. This is my favourite posting by you thus far.

I've not heard a trombone trio before and the textures (plus the 'bone's unique vibe) are refreshingly different. Everyone's playing is top drawer - outstanding (inhuman? *wink*) - and the sounds you're pulling from the kit are inspiring. You have all all the pieces sounding fabulous.

This one's going in my collection - thanks Stan!

I'm no expert in this music but I know you're feeling it :)
Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Love it. This is my favourite posting by you thus far.

I've not heard a trombone trio before and the textures (plus the 'bone's unique vibe) are refreshingly different. Everyone's playing is top drawer - outstanding (inhuman? *wink*) - and the sounds you're pulling from the kit are inspiring. You have all all the pieces sounding fabulous.

This one's going in my collection - thanks Stan!

I'm no expert in this music but I know you're feeling it :)
Thanks Polly and enjoy and nice to hear you're "feeling it" too :}

I know the other 2 in the group really liked this particular take. Pretty sweet raw recorded sounds coming from this straight "off the floor" mix in this shared file....the drum/cymbal is just right to my ears.

Oh and for those interested in the recording particulars that drum/cym. sound you're hearing was achieved with stereo pair mounted on a boom a few feet above my head...that's it :} The recording engineer said the best way to record drums in this type of highly dynamic based acoustic ensemble music is to hear it {and capture it} the way the drummer hears it from the driver's seat... I agree!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Even though you are on the receiving end of all that spew Matt, it's well known that if you piss people off, you're doing something good. So you have that going for you anyway. Who's insulting them right? At least you're being insulted lol.
Yes you're right Larry. I thank the heavens for my good fortune every day :D

Btw-Cool music Stan.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here some of the ones that have accompnied my videos.

1. The pacing of that video was rather arrogant.

2. It was interesting until the championship singles (anything with singles makes you a bad guy).

3. Your facial expressions were too self assured for my tastes.

4. Personally I prefer not to play with inhuman technique.

5. When you get older you'll learn that playing like everyone else will make you a better player.

6. I have no idea what that music is but you're probably not feeling it.

7. Why do you feel the need to post videos in the third person?

8. I don't feel the need to post video and have my ego stroked. I just like making my opinions known.
Reading that list, each one had me laughing and I would think that's my favorite, until I read the next one. I can understand about the singles though. There's just some rudiments I don't like, the nine stroke roll, for example. I mean the five and seven are great, the eleven and thirteen are awesome; but the nine. I don't know, I guess I just don't understand the style.A I bet the favorite drummers of the guy who said that all use singles.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 08-04-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Btw-Cool music Stan.
Thanks Matt!

As Polly said the trombone/electric bass/ drum combo makes for an interesting sonic vibe/mix you don't hear every day.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Didn't want to start a seperate thread about it in the playing section because it will be sometime till further production work is complete on this recording project so enjoy this taste I have to offer. My own drums and pies.......

Nice!! I always enjoy the trio format.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nice!! I always enjoy the trio format.
Thanks Ken!.....me too Ken since this type of trio format leaves lots of room to open up and move about....lots of action/reaction/motion at your disposal for this type of listening based ensemble music.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As Polly said the trombone/electric bass/ drum combo makes for an interesting sonic vibe/mix you don't hear every day.
Yes, I think largely because there aren't a lot of trombonists with the dexterity and timbrel variety to pull this off. To my ear this is a world class performance all round.

There's also the amount of support needed from the drums in a horn trio to fill in the tonal hole left by the absence of piano / guitar. In this take I heard no "hole" - it all sounded complete.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the very kind words and observations Polly....i'm sure the other guy's appreciate the comments indeed.

Here's a clip of the group that helped inspire the formation of our trio featuring Jaco Pastorius - bass, Albert Mangelsdorff - trombone, and Alphonse Mouzon - drums playing the tune "Ant Steps On An Elephant's Toe". Our trio performs this tune too at live shows by the way.....

Brad the trombonist and leader of the trio Synergy studied with Albert by the way. I'm sure Aydee {Abe} and Ken in particular will love hearing Pastorius on this vintage concert footage.... Alphonse is killing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoE0HiPXWg8

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the very kind words and observations Polly....i'm sure the other guy's appreciate the comments indeed.

Here's a clip of the group that helped inspire the formation of our trio featuring Jaco Pastorius - bass, Albert Mangelsdorff - trombone, and Alphonse Mouzon - drums playing the tune "Ant Steps On An Elephant's Toe". Our trio performs this tune too at live shows by the way.....

Brad the trombonist and leader of the trio Synergy studied with Albert by the way. I'm sure Aydee {Abe} and Ken in particular will love hearing Pastorius on this vintage concert footage.... Alphonse is killing!

It's next up. Right now I'm listening to Jaco with Pat Metheny and Bob Moses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08jr-...eature=related

Good segue.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Absolutely loved it Stan, thanks.. and Mouzon and Mangelsdorf too. Thats three maestros right there.. great comp too. Love the fact that you're playing with a trombone trio.. refreshing!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Absolutely loved it Stan, thanks.. and Mouzon and Mangelsdorf too. Thats three maestros right there.. great comp too. Love the fact that you're playing with a trombone trio.. refreshing!!!
You're welcome and thanks Abe :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Wow I have awakened a sleeping giant. LOL!