DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 AM

Default Stick Bundles?

I just broke my last pair of sticks, so right now I'm only stuck with an old taped up pair. Since I find myself in this situation several times I'm thinking of just getting a bunch of sticks together at once. I can't afford to buy them separately, but my only concern is that I may end up being stuck spending 20 bucks on 4 pairs of sticks that may not be that good.

Do these seem like a good idea, or would I just be better off getting a single pair of sticks and hoping they don't break before the next show?

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ee-?sku=443364
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stick Bundles?

Vater make great sticks. I've been using them for a couple of years now after years of using Vic Firth, Pro Mark, Zildjian, custom made sticks and a few others that are lost to me now. Vater hold up as good as any I've used.

Sticks are a personal thing though. Are you happy with a 5A, nylon tip? If so, get 'em.

And yes.....it certainly pays to have more than one pair of sticks in your bag. "Hoping they won't break" is an invitation to playing the rest of a gig one handed, IMHO.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 AM

Thanks. I think I'm going to go with the 5B's on there then. I had this pair before, but the actual tip cracked on me after about a month and a bit of use. 4 pairs should last me for my moneys worth though, so it should be a good one.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Once you have figured out exactly which drumstick you like, yes, it absolutely makes sense to buy a brick of a dozen, even if you "aren't one of those guys who breaks sticks that often". I would hate to get called up on a last-minute gig replacement, personally, and go down to pack my stuff and find three sticks left in the bag. If you do break sticks often, it only makes more sense.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

That's a pretty good deal. That's roughly $5 a pair - which was how much they cost when I was getting started and buying my own stuff back in the late '70s. They coulda' been $4 a pair, but it's nice to see that this price can still be had.

I bought my last brick (12 pairs) of Vic Firth wood tip 5A's about two years ago and I still have three new pairs left. I switch back and forth with Vic and Vaters. I like the Los Angeles model.

I always have at least 4 pairs in my bag. And there's a separate bag in the car with doubles of everything.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
That's a pretty good deal. That's roughly $5 a pair - which was how much they cost when I was getting started and buying my own stuff back in the late '70s. They coulda' been $4 a pair, but it's nice to see that this price can still be had.

I bought my last brick (12 pairs) of Vic Firth wood tip 5A's about two years ago and I still have three new pairs left. I switch back and forth with Vic and Vaters. I like the Los Angeles model.

I always have at least 4 pairs in my bag. And there's a separate bag in the car with doubles of everything.
The Vater LA 5A's are really nice I like the nylon better but I have both
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 AM

If your looking for bundles I would suggest getting a brick of vic firth nova's for only 40 bucks, free shipping at www.americanmusical.com. I just bought a brick and the sticks are great for the price, as long as you don't mind playing with slightly discolored sticks. I've also heard that goodwood drum sticks made by vator are real good and durable as well. They are both second grade series, but I really don't see too much of a difference.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

I have bought bricks of cheap sticks and been very pleased with the price/performance value. Vic Firth is a good brand so this is a good deal.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I have bought bricks of cheap sticks and been very pleased with the price/performance value. Vic Firth is a good brand so this is a good deal.
Just a side note...

I just bought a pair of Vater LA 5A nylons last week just to check em out and test em.
I also have some Pro Mark 5A's and some Vic Firth 5A's.

No wonder I hear people saying that the Vaters last a long time and dont break as often.
The tips are larger and they are obviously thicker than the PM's and the shoulder is thicker than the VF's.

I found them to be a bit "clubish" for me and I like the feel of the PM's and the VF's a bit better. I'm just a bit faster with them.

The Vaters do seem like quality sticks and sound louder on the ride though. :)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Yup, you are right about the Vaters being a bit bigger, but I'm a bigger person and I love them. I like how with the bigger tip you get a slightly bigger sound, even when they're worn down. Does anybody know where I can buy a brick(not a 4 pack) of the Vater LA 5A's with nylon tips?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

I buy bundles (12-packs) every time I buy sticks. I do get the odd bad stick, but even counting them I save a lot of money compared to what I'd have to spend if I bought individual pairs.