DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris's Avatar
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris Stalwart_Pandora-Chris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 727
Default Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Well, my "band" have been searching for a singer for a few months now (and when I say searching, that means me.) It is becoming sheer hell as we've had about 12 people wanting to audition, one auditioned and left without telling us and I found out via another person that he was in 6 bands at the same time and quit them all, which annoyed me.

Anyways, to the subject of "searching". I feel I'm the only one in my band trying to look for members or trying to do things with the band. They come up with guitar riffs then it doesn't progress and we're playing the same riff as a song and then I say "What's going on here?" and they're like "We've done all we can do" and I pick up a guitar and I have a Verse or a Chorus to the song in less than 10 minutes and they think it sounds great. And I've wrote about 4 songs on my own and they think they're great. So basically I'm doing all the work.
Producing sounds for the bands and stuff.

Tonight I basically said to the guitarist I can't do this anymore if I've wrote most of the songs and done most of the work and if we can't find a singer by the end of August then I say we call a break and do something else until we think it's right to come back.
It was my idea to start the band at first, and I've done alot with it. So my say is always relevant as I'm taking it as serious as I can. And I know it sounds selfish, but last week I said "We don't really have any restrictions at all" but now I'm thinking about it. Because I never planned to be like this, I wanted us all to be the boss.

Is this the right thing to do?
__________________
Mapex, Sabian, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,752
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

My 1st real band had this problem. We never found a singer. We ended up parting way over it. I'm still good friends with those guys, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Pretty much every rock band ends up revolving around the singer. I find it's best to find a singer, and then find the rest of the band, or else it could be a frustrating experience.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 AM
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris's Avatar
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris Stalwart_Pandora-Chris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 727
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
My 1st real band had this problem. We never found a singer. We ended up parting way over it. I'm still good friends with those guys, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Pretty much every rock band ends up revolving around the singer. I find it's best to find a singer, and then find the rest of the band, or else it could be a frustrating experience.
Seems a good idea. Websites don't work either, all these "fabulous websites".
All the bands looking for drummers here in the UK are Bring Me The Horizon sound-a-like wannabe bands and I hate it. I enjoy playing stuff like Coheed, Protest The Hero, Every Time I Die, Foo Fighters, Opeth, Led Zeppelin, The Police. That's the rock side, I love Latin music though.
__________________
Mapex, Sabian, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 AM
PQleyR's Avatar
PQleyR PQleyR is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Godalming, UK
Posts: 2,272
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

It's tough, isn't it. My band's looking for a singer at the moment too, they do not grow on trees...especially not power metal singers, that's for sure!
__________________
Drummer for Gloryhammer
My facebook page
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM
The Gedge's Avatar
The Gedge The Gedge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 79
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

My band's having almost exactly the same problem, except I'm not the one who does most of the work. Our bassist heard me singing once and thought it was good, but I really don't want to sing, so we still don't have one.
__________________
I drum, therefore I am
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

It all makes sense, Chris. That's how it goes for lots of players.

The first band becomes frustrating for whatever reason so you start looking to upgrade. Keep up the practice, keep on grooving and put out the feelers ...
__________________
.
Polly's rhythms
.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM
LeftoverPenguin's Avatar
LeftoverPenguin LeftoverPenguin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 257
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

I find myself in a similar situation right now. My brother (lead guitar) and I are the only two doing anything in our five-person band. So we're left wondering what to do ourselves. It's frustrating! I really don't want to have to write lyrics and melodies for the singer for every song in addition to writing my drum part.

Oh yeah, one more thing: we were supposed to have a gig last weekend when one of our band members suddenly found out he couldn't make it the week before (these were circumstances out of anybody's control), but he says he went and talked to the owner of the place and basically did everything he could but we were going to have to cancel the gig. Okay, fine. This week we come to find out that they were there that night still expecting us to come and play. We've since smoothed everything over with the place, as he thought he was still waiting on a call from us to confirm we couldn't get a sub or something, but that is a situation I don't want my band to find itself in ever again.
__________________
Yamaha | Zildjian | Remo - Round Town Funky Bunch
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Frost's Avatar
Frost Frost is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 933
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Not everyone needs to be the driving creative force or frontman in a band, that goes without saying, the key to any successful band is not the individual wow factor of all the members, but the chemistry between them.

You can have half a dozen of the greatest musicians in the county and you wont make an enduring band unless you can gel.

The point of all this is look for a singer you like, not just the guy with the most amazing voice and don't stress if you're writing more than your band mates providing they're as into it as you are and you making music together.
__________________
A disquiet mind at therapy with the music.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2011, 11:52 PM
KBadd's Avatar
KBadd KBadd is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Live....well!
Posts: 575
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

You are a credit to being a musician. I am also the drummer. But I also "produce" the overall sound of my band. I help choose bass parts, guitar riffs, and keyboard parts. I do not choose the singing parts. I leave that to the professional singer....I can sing BUT I am NOT a "singer".

Someone HAS to be the "leader" of the band, period. There will always be one person who does most of the work. Keep auditioning singers!!! Stay the course dude!

My bass player books all our gigs now. 20+ years ago I booked all the gigs plus what I said.

You are going to work hard at something no matter what you do...............it might as well be music!
__________________
K

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris's Avatar
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris Stalwart_Pandora-Chris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 727
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
You are a credit to being a musician. I am also the drummer. But I also "produce" the overall sound of my band. I help choose bass parts, guitar riffs, and keyboard parts. I do not choose the singing parts. I leave that to the professional singer....I can sing BUT I am NOT a "singer".

Someone HAS to be the "leader" of the band, period. There will always be one person who does most of the work. Keep auditioning singers!!! Stay the course dude!

My bass player books all our gigs now. 20+ years ago I booked all the gigs plus what I said.

You are going to work hard at something no matter what you do...............it might as well be music!
+1, I'm in two bands. My other band the guitarist tries to tell me how to play my drum parts and I say "It won't work" and then I play something and he's impressed, then a part of the song which may be meh I'll bring it up and we might change a few notes around. But he writes most of the songs on his own. My other band though, I might come up with an idea and then we'll all work around it. But sometimes I do more work than what the guitarists can do. Which I guess is a credit to have and it's something good for years to come. I listen to loads of different types of music too which probably helps my ear and when I can say "Maybe add a F# in there rather than a C" or whatever and it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Not everyone needs to be the driving creative force or frontman in a band, that goes without saying, the key to any successful band is not the individual wow factor of all the members, but the chemistry between them.

You can have half a dozen of the greatest musicians in the county and you wont make an enduring band unless you can gel.

The point of all this is look for a singer you like, not just the guy with the most amazing voice and don't stress if you're writing more than your band mates providing they're as into it as you are and you making music together.
I have to say, my other band is kinda like that. The frontman wants everything his way and me and the bass player are like "we could get another guitarist?" "No, that's not 'punk'" and I'm like "Another guitarist will help the sound" but he doesn't listen and writes everything on his own and doesn't take others ideas. This band I'm talking about however, we all get along and work great together. If one of us is playing something one of us will say "Did you come up with that? Keep playing it!" and we've got a song by the end of the day. Infact, last practice we had 3 songs in the space of the 5 hours we practiced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftoverPenguin View Post
I find myself in a similar situation right now. My brother (lead guitar) and I are the only two doing anything in our five-person band. So we're left wondering what to do ourselves. It's frustrating! I really don't want to have to write lyrics and melodies for the singer for every song in addition to writing my drum part.

Oh yeah, one more thing: we were supposed to have a gig last weekend when one of our band members suddenly found out he couldn't make it the week before (these were circumstances out of anybody's control), but he says he went and talked to the owner of the place and basically did everything he could but we were going to have to cancel the gig. Okay, fine. This week we come to find out that they were there that night still expecting us to come and play. We've since smoothed everything over with the place, as he thought he was still waiting on a call from us to confirm we couldn't get a sub or something, but that is a situation I don't want my band to find itself in ever again.
I write alot of the work in my band. But whenever we all write something together it's always different from our other songs, which is pretty awesome and it's going to appeal to everyone. My Mum or Dad will come up and be like "That sounds really good" and it's something we can be proud of. Because they like loads of Electronic and dance stuff and my dad likes British New Wave of Heavy Metal and we write something and he likes it.
When I write something though, it wows everyone and we keep it in our book of ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
It all makes sense, Chris. That's how it goes for lots of players.

The first band becomes frustrating for whatever reason so you start looking to upgrade. Keep up the practice, keep on grooving and put out the feelers ...
Totally! It's the first band which I've actually been able to be a fully comitted songwriter rather than "Play drums to this" I'm actually orientating it with guitars and stuff aswell as trying to write songs at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gedge View Post
My band's having almost exactly the same problem, except I'm not the one who does most of the work. Our bassist heard me singing once and thought it was good, but I really don't want to sing, so we still don't have one.
I got that once in the early days of my band... I said "I'll do backing..." and this was when our guitarist sang. He doesn't do it anymore sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
It's tough, isn't it. My band's looking for a singer at the moment too, they do not grow on trees...especially not power metal singers, that's for sure!
My band found a singer today actually, and I know the guy which makes it easy. You guys are lucky to have Guitar Center to advertise. In the UK most of the stores that advertised are closed. Though, my drum shop has a bulletin board. Which has loads of deals on it.


Thanks guys!
__________________
Mapex, Sabian, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 PM
KBadd's Avatar
KBadd KBadd is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Live....well!
Posts: 575
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Stal,

When a guitar player asks you to play "this or that", your job, as a drummer, is NOT to say " "it won't work". Your job is to find out what the guitar player is thinking..................even if you try it and it sounds awful...............get in his/her head and find out how they wrote the song, the inspiration. Then collaborate with them and come to an understanding. That's what music is. That is unless the songwriter is an absolute freak genius and your opinion is nothing. Ha! ; )
__________________
K

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris's Avatar
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris Stalwart_Pandora-Chris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 727
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
Stal,

When a guitar player asks you to play "this or that", your job, as a drummer, is NOT to say " "it won't work". Your job is to find out what the guitar player is thinking..................even if you try it and it sounds awful...............get in his/her head and find out how they wrote the song, the inspiration. Then collaborate with them and come to an understanding. That's what music is. That is unless the songwriter is an absolute freak genius and your opinion is nothing. Ha! ; )
He told me to play a blast beat on a pop-punk song. I said "That's for sure not going to work" and I showed him what I'd play and he said "fair enough".

Good to keep them in square-shape too and make them think twice.
__________________
Mapex, Sabian, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 AM
KBadd's Avatar
KBadd KBadd is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Live....well!
Posts: 575
Default Re: Searching for a singer... Sheer Hell.

Keep communication open always. If the GIT player says "XYZ" you say in reply "ABC". Then see what he says. Never throw the baby out with the bath water.
__________________
K

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com