DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Has Anyone Seen Stan (Steamer)

Since we had a, "Has Anyone Seen deltadrummer" thread.
I decided to have a, "Has Anyone seen Steamer" Thread.
Stan, Are you out there?
I, We, all miss you.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Has Anyone Seen Stan (Steamer)

I reckon I remember seeing him online only a week or so ago.....maybe two.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Platinum Member

I was thinking the same thing actually.

Seems like numerous regulars have been more scarce lately.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Stan is an inspiring poster. I read a lot of the old threads on here and his stuff has been a real education and his playing so superb to listen to. Hope you're well Stan!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

If I'd disappear for a month or two, would you miss me then...? :(
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I was thinking the same thing actually.

Me too. Maybe he's in Paki-Stan. Or Uzbeki-Stan.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
If I'd disappear for a month or two, would you miss me then...? :(
I would. But you won't go away! Lol. JK.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

You don't think that the Aliens kidnaped him do ya?
Perhaps they needed someone to teach jazz drumming on their planet.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Stan and I used to talk a lot via pm...and a while back I recall him planning an extended forum break. He is a serious professional musician who for 30 years has made his living entirely from drumming. I think he just had other things he needed to be doing and was probably tired of being called a snob by a handful who obviously didn't appreciate his 99% dead on perspective. I know he was trolled a lot and felt very frustrated about seldom being able to have reasonable discussions. ..especially when it came to jazz.

I could be wrong but that's my take. I also think he will probably come back when he's ready. He's a good guy and an excellent resource. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can do it for real that long and on that very high level. He's one of those people who has spent most of his career in the shadows making others look and sound good. Much respect.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Matt's post here. Stan did come back a couple of weeks ago to post some gig pic's. Post #357 http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42307

Although Stan's appreciation of his craft is way beyond my rock/pop brain comprehension, I've had a few conversations with him that I found to be most insightful & useful to me. He had time for me, even though he knows I don't "get it". I think that's a measure of the man's humility & sense of fellow player empathy. A snob, he certainly is not! He's passionate about his music, yet the occasional transient dickhead takes that as being elitist.

I miss your wizedom Mr. nuance!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

I'm humbled just checking in on the forum to come across the kind comments found on this thread....thanks everyone!

As Andy pointed out in my recent post I'd mentioned my forum break this year to focus on stuff in the flesh.

I've had a very busy run with various projects both in the studio and for live shows this year. Most recently had some nice concerts with 3 different groups performing original acoustic based jazz music at the Vancouver International Jazz Fest. Directly followed this with a week of performance/teaching and drum master classes at the South Delta Jazz Workshop. This was followed up by a couple a recording projects on the burner to complete. One involved several of my fellow faculty from the SDJW playing the music in particular of alto player and composer Len Aruliah from London, England. The other was a large project involving laying down bed tracks over several nights in the studio of original arrangements with a small group first and then later adding other instruments and and a vocal ensemble into the mix. We performed a version of the final music project with everyone in the same room yesterday in concert...went really well!

Getting back to Len he was asked well in town by the camp director to write nonet arrangements of his originals to be performed for the big wrap up concert for the SDJW camp and festival. That concert was recorded in hi-res video/audio but have not seen anything yet to share. A smaller version of the group with Len has about 2 1/2 hours in the can of Len's and others in the group originals combined with some very cool on the spot open improv's from our 2 days in the studio. Again haven't heard any of it yet so nothing to share folks....

One more recording session tomorrow for the new trio i'm in called Synergy {trombone/electric bass/drums} which performed a couple of sets of its originals at the recent Vancouver Jazz Fest.

A nice summer break in order after that :}..... speaking of which i'm very excited in seeing a major show of Surrealist art and objects at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Largest collection of its kind ever brought into Canada. For those who don't know visual art particularly the works of the Surrealist is my other great love and passion in life...

I think we're all caught up now and here's hoping everyone is having a great summer!

P.S. A repost of two pics taken during the bass/drum duet piece at Rob Kohler's {bass player from LA} noon hour concert during the jazz camp:
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, So the Aliens didn't kidnap you! LOL
Sounds like you have been hard at it and having fun.
Glad to hear it Stan.
Good to hear from you.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Oh, So the Aliens didn't kidnap you! LOL
Sounds like you have been hard at it and having fun.
Glad to hear it Stan.
Good to hear from you.
Thanks Bob and nice to see other folks i've had good chats with on the forum checking in on me.......

By the way I see Matt's back in the US now ... watch out folks and expect to hear great things {about him} to follow is my prediction....

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Thanks Bob and nice to see other folks i've had good chats with on the forum checking in on me.......

By the way I see Matt's back in the US now ... watch out folks and expect to hear great things {about him} to follow is my prediction....
Thanks Stan. Hope you're right. After two weeks back it's all still a confusing jumble lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good to have you back Stan.

I also have a prediction, "bugger all in the way of great things will be heard of me". That way, I stand a minuscule chance of exceeding my expectations!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Stan,

Good to see you are well.

I used to e mail Stan after he was not on the boards for a few days or a week. And he would always regal me with all the exciting things he was doing. Then I would joke about that. "I haven't seen you so you must be doing some exciting things. " And as we can see, such is always the case.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yes, Stan is a pillar here, as are you Ken and we need our pillars. When they go away, it's noticeable.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like I need to catch up but it's nice to hear from some of the folks i've met here.

Speaking of which........

You're welcome Matt and once you've shaken off the travel dust we're all watching to see what {musical} adventures come your way next....more news to follow folks.

Thanks again Bob and I like the kit shown in your sig....sweet!

I hear you Andy but no need to be too humble but I understand the thought behind what you said...we all feel that way at times no matter where we are in are journey when everything is constantly under the microscope in public view. Hiding away and just enjoying what we do with folks in the flesh is sometimes the best course of action without the weight of certain outside "influences" and "expectations" in the mix. Always has to be fun being #1.....

Nice to to see you Ken :} Ken and I for the record {Matt too} have had some truly indepth exchanges to get down to the core of things on jazz and jazz drummers here in the past. In the end both involved came away with a new way at looking at the same thing with a understanding to always consider the other man's {or women's} point of view. This is how you stay humble as a musician to keep a open mind to learn i've been taught in life.

Thanks Larry. I've always found you're straight up grounded wisdom for where you see things from your honest perspective to be ever refreshing around here.

Also thanks for the other folks who chimed in earlier in the thread to check up on some of us long time DW "regulars" are doing. Now off to do some more recording.....

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Rebel

Hello Stan!

"Ata" of all Istanbul Agop... :-) is good to have you around again, you are such an inspiration!

Best Regards,

Ian
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Hello Stan!

"Ata" of all Istanbul Agop... :-) is good to have you around again, you are such an inspiration!

Best Regards,

Ian
Thanks Ian and best not to get me started on my favorite pies :}

Have a nice cross section of cymbal sounds planned for the recording session today.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Rebel

Gotcha mate! you knew where I was coming from...a little boost from those lovely pies, eh? ;)

Quote:
Thanks Ian and best not to get me started on my favorite pies :}

Have a nice cross section of cymbal sounds planned for the recording session today.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Stan! Great to hear that things are good and the playing/teaching calender is full. I had a feeling you were good busy, and am glad I was right : )

I do miss your stuff in the playing section and your occasional broadside- defender of the faith tirades against the ignoramuses.

Good to hear from ya Stan, be well.

PS- And I also notice a certain Mr. Deltadrummer on this thread, which is certainly a healthy sign for this forum. Its seems like a good day, today.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

Hey Stan! Great to hear that things are good and the playing/teaching calender is full. I had a feeling you were good busy, and am glad I was right : )

I do miss your stuff in the playing section and your occasional broadside- defender of the faith tirades against the ignoramuses.

Good to hear from ya Stan, be well.

PS- And I notice a certain Mr. Deltadrummer on this thread, which is certainly a healthy sign for this forum.

Thanks Abe and you and I have had some straight up exchanges here in the past i've enjoyed.

If I have new stuff sent my way to share i'll certainly post it down the road....

Yes nice to see Ken chime in :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Whoo hoo...glad to know everyone is just busy and hasn't fallen off the planet.

:-)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, hey the gang's all here!!

Thanks for the kind and warm words. We've had some great times and some lengthy and thorough discussions. I know I've learned an immense amount from these discussions both public and private. It's nice that we all have fond memories of those moments even though some of the public threads could be fueled with heated debate and harsh disagreements. Nothing wrong with that. Best to all!!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Hey, hey the gang's all here!!

Thanks for the kind and warm words. We've had some great times and some lengthy and thorough discussions. I know I've learned an immense amount from these discussions both public and private. It's nice that we all have fond memories of those moments even though some of the public threads could be fueled with heated debate and harsh disagreements. Nothing wrong with that. Best to all!!
Healthy discussions, exchanges, debates and back and forth contrasting POV's is the straight course of action to learning i've found Ken.

Trolling on the other hand in discussions is something I have no time or tolerance for when it comes to internet forums......nothing learned...nothing gained.

P.S. I have a real nice track sent to me via a file sharing website from the rec. session the other day...killer playing and sounds from raw yet to be mixed data.....have to get the OK from the group's leader first before I can provide a Web link for a listen or download.....

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Another side note.....

ATTENTION WEST COAST ART LOVERS!!!

The Surrealist show on till Sept. 25th at the Vancouver Art Gallery is SUPERB!!!

Many of my all time favorites on display. A personal few in particular being Max Ernst's large canvass "Day and Night" and Dali's "Agnostic Symbol" and “Gala and the Angelus of Millet Preceding the Imminent Arrival of the Conic Anamorphoses”.. Actually the huge comprehensive collection on display by several major as well as other lesser known Surrealist artist's is staggering to behold. The section on books, objects and about 30 films being shown in different rooms was an added treat. Give yourself about 2 1/2 hours to take it all in.....

GO SEE IT if in Vancouver!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 07-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Wow! It's like Old Home Week around here.
Where is Jay?
Jay, are you out there?
Good to hear from you Ken.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Wow! It's like Old Home Week around here.
Where is Jay?
Jay, are you out there?
Good to hear from you Ken.
Hi Bob, yes I'm here.

Haven't had anything really to talk about for awhile. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't touched my drums in weeks.

I was wondering about Stan Steamer, too. Good to see him back and still prospering
Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Hi Bob, yes I'm here.

Haven't had anything really to talk about for awhile. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't touched my drums in weeks.

I was wondering about Stan Steamer, too. Good to see him back and still prospering
Thanks Jay and nice to see you around too......now we just need Polly to chime in with one of her ever humorous spot on observations and overviews to complete the cycle :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Jay and nice to see you around too......now we just need Polly to chime in with one of her ever humorous spot on observations and overviews to complete the cycle :}
Oh ok ... unlike some unfortunates I'm saying yes yes yes to rehab for my forum addiction and trying to remember what real life is like.

Nice to see you again, Stan :) You always did put art first, internet second, which is the correct order of priority. Will look out for more tasty tracks from you when you get the recordings!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

OK Now it is complete. Hi Pol
You guys are right, there hasn't been a lot to talk about around here lately.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Oh ok ... unlike some unfortunates I'm saying yes yes yes to rehab for my forum addiction and trying to remember what real life is like.
You too Polly and this is the honest to the bone wit of yours I was referring too ...... :}

I'll be sure to share whatever I get down the road......

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
this is the honest to the bone wit of yours I was referring too...
I'm a muso, Stan, we perform on demand :)
Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm a muso, Stan, we perform on demand :)
My wife would disagree with that:)

Am I invited to the club? Have I been here long enough? Does my (lately uber poor) rock style exclude me?

Anyhow, I'm about to fix the "lack of discussion" issue. Next week I'll post my latest playing. It's a masterclass in how not to record music, bad drumming performance, & the penalties associated with trying to do things un prepared & without enough time. Should provide plenty of meat at the kill! I'm happy in my role of "forum duffer"!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
lol

Quote:
Am I invited to the club? Have I been here long enough? Does my (lately uber poor) rock style exclude me?
Can't see why not, Andy. You just performed on request ...

Quote:
Anyhow, I'm about to fix the "lack of discussion" issue. Next week I'll post my latest playing.
Stop whingeing about it and just do it ya Pommie bastard... you have to admit that you're being very British about this ... I'm sure MFB would agree.:)

Last edited by Pollyanna; 07-29-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

You guy's {gal's included} are a hoot!!!

Andy not to worry and don't feel left out since you fit right in, certainly a part of the Surreal circle and mix of musical oddballs {present company included} around here ...... :}

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Stop whingeing about it and just do it ya Pommie bastard... you have to admit that you're being very British about this ... I'm sure MFB would agree.:)
Nah, not whinging, just setting myself up for the inevitable fall, & I will post it (hand trembles at this point) when the bloody video edit's done! I'm thinking of bringing MFB in as chief whingeing consultant to jump in with a preemptive multi faceted flame post. That way, I can get the pain dealt with in one go.

Thanks Stan, musical oddball, yeah, I can subscribe to that label. I'm thinking of forming a faux Mick Hucknallesque band called "Simply Shit". I should fit right in!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Anyhow, I'm about to fix the "lack of discussion" issue. Next week I'll post my latest playing. It's a masterclass in how not to record music, bad drumming performance, & the penalties associated with trying to do things un prepared & without enough time. Should provide plenty of meat at the kill! I'm happy in my role of "forum duffer"!
Are you really going to post something. Man, hasn't any one told you yet you suck. Some say it takes a lot of nerve to post, but man you got some nerve posting.

How's that to get you started? LOL!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I know I'm licking my chops....

Like wolves circling the wounded gazelle...

JK Andy, can't wait to hear...