DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 AM

Default Dont know what heads or sticks to choose. Help!

Hi. Can anyone tell me what type of drum head is best suited for doing buzz rolls on snare, and also for toms? Also what type of sticks would be best suited for buzz rolls? Their are so many to choose from I have no idea were to start! Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Dont know what heads or sticks to choose. Help!

A little more info perhaps? What kind of drum, what kind of music, what have you already tried...

The short answer is there is no perfect head or stick combo specifically suited to doing a type of roll.

Choose sticks that don't get in the way of your technique and suit your hand size. Most concert players use some kind of SD1/General type of stick which is maple, with a fairly large diameter, and a ball tip. Every major stick manufacturer makes one, but Vic Firth makes the widest assortment of concert-suited sticks.

Also, most concert players use a coated one-ply head, either thin or medium weight. Basic choices would be a Remo Diplomat or Ambassador or Evans G1.

I prefer an Evans Strata 1000 or Remo Renaissance Ambassador, which give more warmth and midrange.

The Remo Skyntone is another head I've just discovered that I've really enjoyed. Very thin and sensitive, with excellent balanced tone.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewn View Post
Hi. Can anyone tell me what type of drum head is best suited for doing buzz rolls on snare, and also for toms? Also what type of sticks would be best suited for buzz rolls? Their are so many to choose from I have no idea were to start! Any help would be much appreciated.
You cant go far wrong with a Remo Ambassador coated snare batter head and Vic FIRTH 5A sticks for starters,if you play hard then go to 5B sticks and Remo pinstripes on the toms.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
A little more info perhaps? What kind of drum, what kind of music, what have you already tried...

The short answer is there is no perfect head or stick combo specifically suited to doing a type of roll.

Choose sticks that don't get in the way of your technique and suit your hand size. Most concert players use some kind of SD1/General type of stick which is maple, with a fairly large diameter, and a ball tip. Every major stick manufacturer makes one, but Vic Firth makes the widest assortment of concert-suited sticks.

Also, most concert players use a coated one-ply head, either thin or medium weight. Basic choices would be a Remo Diplomat or Ambassador or Evans G1.

I prefer an Evans Strata 1000 or Remo Renaissance Ambassador, which give more warmth and midrange.

The Remo Skyntone is another head I've just discovered that I've really enjoyed. Very thin and sensitive, with excellent balanced tone.
Thanks for the info. Those Skynotes sound nice, their a bit pricey though compared to the others. The diplomats look nice too.

For sticks im thinking of getting the Promark PW5A, they look nice, would they be a good choice? And whats the difference between them and the PW5B, is it just that one has a Nylon tip and the other doesnt? Ive heard that anything in with B in it is heavier than anything with A, is that right?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

A Skyntone is less than three dollars more than a coated Diplomat/Ambassador/Emperor, so if you're interested in trying a head that sounds more like calfskin the cost shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

The Diplomat gains in sensitivity what it loses in durability but depending on the need for loud dynamics it might sound thin. Again, it's hard to recommend other than the standard basics without knowing more about the drum the head is intended for or the type of group you're playing with. Even now I'm still guessing if this is for a concert/orchestral setting or a rock or jazz band.

As for the sticks, again it depends on what kind of music you're trying to play and the size of your hands to give any advice.

If you're unsure about the whole A/B suffix I'd suggest heading to a stick manufacturer's website and read the specs of the various models.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
A Skyntone is less than three dollars more than a coated Diplomat/Ambassador/Emperor, so if you're interested in trying a head that sounds more like calfskin the cost shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

The Diplomat gains in sensitivity what it loses in durability but depending on the need for loud dynamics it might sound thin. Again, it's hard to recommend other than the standard basics without knowing more about the drum the head is intended for or the type of group you're playing with. Even now I'm still guessing if this is for a concert/orchestral setting or a rock or jazz band.

As for the sticks, again it depends on what kind of music you're trying to play and the size of your hands to give any advice.

If you're unsure about the whole A/B suffix I'd suggest heading to a stick manufacturer's website and read the specs of the various models.
Weird. The place I was planning on getting my heads from has the Skyntones over 16 $ more than the Diplomats.

Im putting the heads on a Mapex Mars series snare and toms, and I sort of like the clear look more than coated. In terms of sound, I think sensitivity is what im looking for. When I do buzz rolls with the current head im using (something with a big black dot in the middle) the first couple hits sound ok, but the rest sort of sound like a blurry mess. I want something thats gonna make the whole buzz sound nice and clear. I play rock with lots of buzz rolls (Buzz Rock? :D).