DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Default New head for snare?

I need to replace the head on my 14x5.5 maple snare drum as the stock head is getting worn out. I'm looking for a head that will give me a sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-sky0Q28Mc
I've been thinking about getting Evans ST Dry or just normal ST?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Re: New head for snare?

Try using the Evans Genera HD or the HD dry.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Sounds quite dry and tight. Agree with the HD Dry or HD.
Though riding the crash and china might have covered the overtones - making it sound dry.

I use that HD Dry, and allows for a higher, tight tuning range. Definitely removes the overtones and has a really short sustain. However, the sound is not as bright and is more dull.

The ST Dry seems to be more brighter, a little more decay. Definitely consider staying Dry though.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
Though riding the crash and china might have covered the overtones - making it sound dry.

I use that HD Dry, and allows for a higher, tight tuning range. Definitely removes the overtones and has a really short sustain. However, the sound is not as bright and is more dull.

The ST Dry seems to be more brighter, a little more decay. Definitely consider staying Dry though.
Thanks for the suggestions :D (sorry i could obviously only quote one of you)
Also, any ideas how tight or loose reso and batter should be?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Gold Member

You can actually quote multiple people (the button directly to the right of the quote button).

And I agree with above posters, bright and tight. Evans Genera HD or Remo Powerstroke 3.
Once you buy the head, you can just experiment and see what you like best.
Sometimes I tune my snare way down low, and sometimes I tighten it till my fingers sore. It depends what I'm playing and where I'm playing.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
You can actually quote multiple people (the button directly to the right of the quote button).

And I agree with above posters, bright and tight. Evans Genera HD or Remo Powerstroke 3.
Once you buy the head, you can just experiment and see what you like best.
Sometimes I tune my snare way down low, and sometimes I tighten it till my fingers sore. It depends what I'm playing and where I'm playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrum_daz View Post
Thanks for the suggestions :D (sorry i could obviously only quote one of you)
Also, any ideas how tight or loose reso and batter should be?
Ahhh - now that was cool, "multi-quoting". Thanks for the tip!

Many drummers have their snare reso tighter than the batter. I have it that way on all my drums for a shorter sustain. Just my preference, especially for the 16" floor tom that can ring forever... :-)

However, because I have Puresound Custom wires on my snares, they are very sensitive and will "buzz" if the reso is too loose. Works good for me, since I like my snares bright, tight. The HD dry has such a short decay that the residual sound I got was a funky snare buzz. Perhaps a tighter reso reduced the vibration? If your strainer is stock, then less to worry about.

Maybe get the snare first in tune to your preference, batter + reso - then tighten down the reso further. This worked for me on the HD Dry, but other drummers like the reso and batter the same tension.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post

Thanks!! Totally unrelated to the thread, but i always wondered how people did that!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know alot of people said Genera HD but i chose to go with the ST dry as i would like the brighter sound. I just ordered it today for 11, can't wait til it arrives :D