DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

Default Recording choices...

So I wanted to get some sort of recording gear for a mid to low price, so I can start putting some decent quality stuff on youtube, and the way I see it, I have 4 choices.

1. Buy a handheld recorder. Not too expensive.

2. Buy a USB mic and hook it up to my laptop. Not too expensive.

3. Buy one overhead mic (decent quality) and hook it up to an interface. Fairly expensive.

4. Buy a mid-priced set of mics. Most expensive of the 4.

I don't really need the best quality here, just some decent quality. It's just for casual recordings, like youtube and stuff, not anything professional.
I have very little experience at recording with mics, so I don't know which of these would be the best option.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Recording choices...

#1 if you're just wanting to hear yourself back for a learning tool
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Depending on your options, for Youtube work, I would either buy a USB Microphone or a small interface and a pair of reasonable overheads. I would take the latter approach with something like a Focusrite Saffire 6 would be great, with a pair of Rode NT5s or AKG C1000s. That would cover basic stereo recording. For anything more, you'd need a bigger interface - but if you don't want to expand, I would take the small interface route.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Depending on your options, for Youtube work, I would either buy a USB Microphone or a small interface and a pair of reasonable overheads. I would take the latter approach with something like a Focusrite Saffire 6 would be great, with a pair of Rode NT5s or AKG C1000s. That would cover basic stereo recording. For anything more, you'd need a bigger interface - but if you don't want to expand, I would take the small interface route.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. About how much would that all come out to be?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Not sure what the US prices are, but if you take the UK prices to be about the same numbers (even if the value is more) the interface is around 140, the mics are probably around 90 apiece. Then factor in some cabling (doesn't have to be too expensive) and a mic stand or two and you're probably at around 400. The recording software could be Audacity - which is all you need if you're just doing stereo recording. You could do a lot worse for that kind of money. This is a 'good' version of this setup. You could probably manage on a lot less, but the equipment I've listed is good quality gear. Cheaper alternatives do exist, but I'd obviously go for the better options if I could.

A Rode NT4 isn't a bad idea if you want a really simple setup. It's a fixed stereo microphone. I've used them a fair bit and they're very good for the money and useful down the road even if you upgrade your gear. A decent USB mic would probably set you back about 90, so it is a lot cheaper. The USB mic setup isn't a bad one at all, but I obviously prefer doing things 'properly' given what my degree is in...!
Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Not sure what the US prices are, but if you take the UK prices to be about the same numbers (even if the value is more) the interface is around 140, the mics are probably around 90 apiece. Then factor in some cabling (doesn't have to be too expensive) and a mic stand or two and you're probably at around 400. The recording software could be Audacity - which is all you need if you're just doing stereo recording. You could do a lot worse for that kind of money. This is a 'good' version of this setup. You could probably manage on a lot less, but the equipment I've listed is good quality gear. Cheaper alternatives do exist, but I'd obviously go for the better options if I could.

A Rode NT4 isn't a bad idea if you want a really simple setup. It's a fixed stereo microphone. I've used them a fair bit and they're very good for the money and useful down the road even if you upgrade your gear. A decent USB mic would probably set you back about 90, so it is a lot cheaper. The USB mic setup isn't a bad one at all, but I obviously prefer doing things 'properly' given what my degree is in...!
Yeah I might have to go with something a bit cheaper, I was hoping $400 max, and that came out to be about $560.
Is it possible I could achieve decent quality with just one overhead? And maybe a bit cheaper interface. If I make those cuts that will get me where I need to be.
Or maybe I could just get a really good USB mic for now, and work on upgrading to better mics when I have the cash.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

I say go simple. Assuming your computer has some kind of video software and audio software (like on the mac you have iMovie and GarageBand), you could easily record stuff with the cheaper, easier to use, handheld recorder. Record video with a cheap handheld flash camcorder, then dump the two files into the computer and sync them together.

I've had great success with the Zoom H2 stereo flash recorder, and my camcorder is the little Kodak Zi8. I dump both filesi nto the mac, sync 'em up, and upload to YouTube. Of course, now I have a more complicated way of doing it. But are you talking about just uploading yourself playing, or are you trying to do drumcovers (which would involve playing along to pre-recorded tracks)?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I say go simple. Assuming your computer has some kind of video software and audio software (like on the mac you have iMovie and GarageBand), you could easily record stuff with the cheaper, easier to use, handheld recorder. Record video with a cheap handheld flash camcorder, then dump the two files into the computer and sync them together.

I've had great success with the Zoom H2 stereo flash recorder, and my camcorder is the little Kodak Zi8. I dump both filesi nto the mac, sync 'em up, and upload to YouTube. Of course, now I have a more complicated way of doing it. But are you talking about just uploading yourself playing, or are you trying to do drumcovers (which would involve playing along to pre-recorded tracks)?
Both probably. What would have better quality, a handheld recorder or a really good usb mic? The usb mic would probably be a bit cheaper, but which would have better quality?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Both probably. What would have better quality, a handheld recorder or a really good usb mic? The usb mic would probably be a bit cheaper, but which would have better quality?
I picked up one of those Samson CO1U usb mics and it's been a really good performer so far. But I haven't tried it as an overhead over the kit. I use it for vocals. I would suppose it wouldn't be too bad for your intended purpose, but I'd have to try it. The thing I don't like about just plugging in a usb mic is that when I record my drums, I'm used to very robust mic preamps that can handle the incoming signal from a drum (or entire drumset). I currently plug all my mics into an old Mackie 1604VLZ and have those channels go directly out to my Zoom R16 16-track recorder and then dump those tracks into GarageBand or Logic for further manipulation. I plan on upgrading to a Yamaha O1v96 that has 8-aux outs that will give me the direct outs I need for the recorder, but that's money I'm not ready to spend ;)

I have a YouTube video up where I did a short solo on the Tama Bubinga kit using just the Zoom Q3 for both the audio and video, if you care to venture over to my YouTube page.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I picked up one of those Samson CO1U usb mics and it's been a really good performer so far. But I haven't tried it as an overhead over the kit. I use it for vocals. I would suppose it wouldn't be too bad for your intended purpose, but I'd have to try it. The thing I don't like about just plugging in a usb mic is that when I record my drums, I'm used to very robust mic preamps that can handle the incoming signal from a drum (or entire drumset). I currently plug all my mics into an old Mackie 1604VLZ and have those channels go directly out to my Zoom R16 16-track recorder and then dump those tracks into GarageBand or Logic for further manipulation. I plan on upgrading to a Yamaha O1v96 that has 8-aux outs that will give me the direct outs I need for the recorder, but that's money I'm not ready to spend ;)

I have a YouTube video up where I did a short solo on the Tama Bubinga kit using just the Zoom Q3 for both the audio and video, if you care to venture over to my YouTube page.
Yeah that sounded pretty good. I think I'll probably get a handheld recorder. That way when I want to upgrade it doesn't go to waste like a usb mic would, just because of easy setup and recording.

Very nice solo by the way :)
Old 07-09-2011, 05:06 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Yeah that sounded pretty good. I think I'll probably get a handheld recorder. That way when I want to upgrade it doesn't go to waste like a usb mic would, just because of easy setup and recording.

Handheld recorders are easy to use and relatively cheap, but don't get anything less than Bo has recommended. There are some really nasty units out there. My solution to this would be to use one overhead with a quality interface, but Bo's suggestions are perfectly good.

Either way, this gear is so inexpensive compared to the cost of even ten years ago. It's ridiculous!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks so much for giving it a listen. I just thought I'd see how "Buddy Rich" I could be without thinking about it too much ;)

Anyway, the nice thing about the Zoom Q3 is that it comes in an HD version for the same price. Sometimes I wish I waited - which is why I do it with two devices now (the Kodak Zi8 is a HD camcorder (although sometimes you can't tell). But then I have to remind myself that I'm not out to make an MTV video, just stuff to put up for friends for fun.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Handheld recorders are easy to use and relatively cheap, but don't get anything less than Bo has recommended. There are some really nasty units out there. My solution to this would be to use one overhead with a quality interface, but Bo's suggestions are perfectly good.

Either way, this gear is so inexpensive compared to the cost of even ten years ago. It's ridiculous!
Yeah, I'm not really sure which to do. I feel that the overhead w/ interface is too "professional" for what I need. I'm not doing anything close to professional recordings, just some fun, causal youtube videos.

Quote:
Thanks so much for giving it a listen. I just thought I'd see how "Buddy Rich" I could be without thinking about it too much ;)
Yeah I especially liked the tom solo at 0:52 and that lick at 1:40, very cool.
Subscribed to your channel, I'll check out some other videos later!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Gold Member

Well I rounded out the totals, and the one overhead w/ interface would just be a bit more than the zoom q3...
I'm not really sure what to do... I like the idea of a nice simple easy to user recorder, but an overhead and interface would be easier to upgrade upon, just a bass and snare mic and I've got the bare essentials.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I rounded out the totals, and the one overhead w/ interface would just be a bit more than the zoom q3...
I'm not really sure what to do... I like the idea of a nice simple easy to user recorder, but an overhead and interface would be easier to upgrade upon, just a bass and snare mic and I've got the bare essentials.
Well, there are plenty of good 4-input USB interfaces (I think Tascam and PreSonus make good ones). Get yourself a couple of Shure SM57s and a pencil condenser mic and you're good!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

pick up an mbox mini for a couple hundred and an overhead (rode m3 or akg c1000). that'll set you back roughly 400 pending new or used. that's your best option as you can expand on your recording options.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Hey guys would this work as an interface? If so then all I need would be one or two overheads.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...?ProductId=335