DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-13-2011, 06:18 AM

Default Want new drum heads but unsure where to start

Hi, I've taken up drums about a month ago and I'm having a blast!
However, coupled with my inexperience with tuning, I feel like I'd be more comfortable if my drums sounded different.
Unfortunately, I don't know where to go from there. I'm using a Mapex Maple Manhattan (18in bass drum) with the stock Remo UT Pinstripes, anyone has any guidance from there?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Want new drum heads but unsure where to start

Well I would start with what kind of sound you would like. I think you would like the sound of Evans EC2 SST. The EC2's will block out most of those overtones. If you want something more open sounding I would go for G2's. I have an 18 inch bass drum and I use Evans Emad and it sounds great. When it comes to tuning there many videos on Youtube you can watch that are very helpful.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Well, as far as what kind of sounds I like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdLWfZ9yDQ&t=2m25s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfQCH-igyT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohSpsB_O_bI

I absolutely love the sound of those drums, but I have no idea how to describe them!
While on the subject, I hear terms like "warm", "open", or "fat" being thrown around, what are they supposed to convey?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I don't normally tell people what they should get, but since you don't know what will give you that sound, here goes:

Your bass drum, put a Remo PowerStroke 3 on it. Your toms: put Remo coated Emperors on top, and coated Ambassadors on the bottom. Snare: A coated Emperor on top and an Ambassador hazy snare side on the bottom. Done.

OR, if you're an Evans fan: use an Evans EQ3 on the bass drum, with white coated G2's on the tops of the toms and snare, and coated G1's on the bottoms, with a standard Evans snare side on the bottom of the snare, and then learn how to tune.

I understand you like the sound of those recordings, but you're also hearing a kit that's been miked up and eq'd through the mixing console and affected by all manner of electronic devices. You won't be able to replicate the sound completely, so you go for a good head combination that allows the drum to speak and sing well. Anything will be an improvement compared to the heads you have now. I personally like the same weight heads top and bottom, others don't, which is why I told you go with a thinner bottom head since it's job is to resonate. But I like the same weight on both sides, it's a personal choice. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 AM

I'll try those at a drum shop the next time I have the time to visit one! For now, I guess I'll play with tuning a little more

Also, as reference, how would you describe the sound of the drums in those recordings?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Your bass drum, put a Remo PowerStroke 3 on it. Your toms: put Remo coated Emperors on top, and coated Ambassadors on the bottom. Snare: A coated Emperor on top and an Ambassador hazy snare side on the bottom. Done.

OR, if you're an Evans fan: use an Evans EQ3 on the bass drum, with white coated G2's on the tops of the toms and snare, and coated G1's on the bottoms, with a standard Evans snare side on the bottom of the snare, and then learn how to tune.
Great places to start. From there, you can decide what you like, what you want more of, what you want less of, etc.

Couple of Golden Rules....

Tuning is VERY VERY important. Things that make up a drum sound? 10% the actual drum, 10% drumhead, and 80% tuning.

In general (not always), single ply heads = more open, resonant, and bright. Double ply heads = more focused, full, and dark.

Dots on the drum head add definition and attack.

Rings around the drum head decrease sustain and resonance.

Hope this helped!