DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Default anybody using Ludwig heads?

Has anybody here tried Ludwig's heads? I'm mainly interested in their heavy one ply coated ones. How do they compare with coated ambassadors as far as durability and sound?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Re: anybody using Ludwig heads?

I have medium coated Weathermasters on my classic maple toms and Supraphonic. Very Ambassador-y... Heavy smooth Weathermasters on the bass drum. I'm planning on experimenting with a heavy coated batter on one of my floor toms. Should be more like an Emperor, I reckon.

-Ryan
Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

I use to use Ludwig Rockers (clear with silver dot) They were great heads. I don't think they are made anymore.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:07 AM

The silver dots are still very available... they're just tricky to find like all Ludwig heads. You have to order them from an online retailer, 'cuz no one stocks them locally.

-Ryan
Old 08-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
I have medium coated Weathermasters on my classic maple toms and Supraphonic. Very Ambassador-y... Heavy smooth Weathermasters on the bass drum. I'm planning on experimenting with a heavy coated batter on one of my floor toms. Should be more like an Emperor, I reckon.

-Ryan
the interesting thing is, I've seen in catalogs that the thickness of the Ludwig medium heads is 7.5 mils (remo diplomat weight), and the heavy thickness is 10 mils (Remo ambassador weight). But, at the same time, what the hell is a mil? It's not really a unit of measurement that I know of, so different manufacturers might have different definitions of a mil. At least maybe in Ludwig's case, since they seem a bit different from the big 3, and are the black sheep of drum head makers, even though they've been making heads for a long time.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
the interesting thing is, I've seen in catalogs that the thickness of the Ludwig medium heads is 7.5 mils (remo diplomat weight), and the heavy thickness is 10 mils (Remo ambassador weight). But, at the same time, what the hell is a mil? It's not really a unit of measurement that I know of, so different manufacturers might have different definitions of a mil. At least maybe in Ludwig's case, since they seem a bit different from the big 3, and are the black sheep of drum head makers, even though they've been making heads for a long time.

Here's some reading for you, Mil is actually a unit of measure for plastic thickness.

http://forum.onlineconversion.com/showthread.php?t=863
Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

That's interesting about the mil conversion... I was wondering about that.

I recently picked up a Ludwig Supra and couldn't handle the batter head, it just didn't feel as stiff as I was wanting. I assumed that the stock head that says "Medium" was Ambassador in weight. I replaced it with an actual Ambassador and it was a HUGE improvement. Similarly, I replaced the snare side head with an Ambassador with the same result.

If it isn't an actual drum shell and it's made by Ludwig, odds are really good that you'll do much better with someone else's stuff.

My Supra doesn't have anything stock on it anymore, except the lugs.

I bought a new Ludwig kit in '95 and had to take the stock heads off of it right away because they were intolerable. I used to use silver dots back in the 80s, but that was then...

Suffice to say that I don't like Ludwig heads at all.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

I used them for many years, when I played Luddies. They were great.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 PM

I don't put too much stock in "stock" heads (i.e. the heads put on the drum at the factory)... you just don't know the history of them unless the drums came to you with the heads still in the box. The heads (Medium WM's) that came on my Classic Maples back in '97 were kinda funky. A fresh set did a lot of good. Still a bit on the light side for the floor toms.

I do really enjoy the WM's on the '67 Supraphonic. It's tuned tight, but not choked, and the sound is phenomenal.

-Ryan
Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Silver Member

I know that Interstate Music sells Ludwig Weather Master heads, including Silver Dots. they have both clear and coated, and black heavy heads.

but no smooth whites. Ludwig probably doesn't even make those anymore. jeez...those were the heads we used in marching band WAY back in the early 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! god, i'm old. :)
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM

I absolutely LOVE the Ludwig Silver Dot heads! I dont like Ludwig products @ all except the old Acrolite snare & the Silver Dot heads. I have used the Silver dot heads for a long long time. They sound awesome & the outlast anything else. But I always have to special order them when it gets time for head changes. The last kit head change I decided I didnt want to have to special order them, so I tried Evans EC2's. WHAT A MISTAKE! The EC2's are not holding up. & break in period of constant tuning until the evans head stabilized was very long time.
the 14" & larger of the EC2 heads seem to sound a lil dull compared to the smaller sizes of the same head also.

I am at a cross roads now & feel it is still time to let the Silver Dot heads fade into history cuz They are a hassle to find & always have to order them..... but what heads should be worhty to fill the position of the Silver Dot head?

Mapex Saturn RULES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

I like the silver dot on a snare, but that's about it.
Medium coateds are like an Ambassador in that the coating is so thick.
They do sound good through a PA, but they are kinda trickier to get in a range that's not to thin sounding sometimes.
The heavy Coated I don't like at all except on the bass drum. It sounds great on my kicks, and the feel is good too. Nicer than an Ambassador, and fatter sounding with a good punch.

I've always had to order any heads from Ludwig except the snare side or a 14" Silver dot.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 AM

about the ludwig heads not being stocked locally................this place in florence, alabama called "alabama music" stocks ludwig heads...........but that is my local not yours.......
Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 AM

Ludwig mediums are the same thickness as a Remo Diplomat

Ludwig Heavys are the same thickness as the Remo Ambassador.

Ludwig makes a two-ply head that is like the Remo Emperor (which is a two-ply head)

I like the Ludwigs because I think that they have a thicker, more durable coating (I use coated, not clear)

Cascio has a complete selection of Ludwig heads, medium, heavy, two-ply, Silver-dot and Power ring. Most come in clear or coated.

For the kick drum there is now a Ludwig vintage logo smooth white reso head with a power collar, like Remo's powerstroke 3. Great looking and great sounding. I use them along with a Remo coated P3 on the batter head of both a 20" and 22" classic maple kick
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 AM

I like Weather Master Coated for 60's snares (Heavy for Supraphonic, Medium for Supersentive) and toms (batter/snare: Medium).

BTW, still available Ludwig Vintage Logo Bass Coated Bass Drumhead for front side?
I checked several web sites.
But, there is only resonant head for Vintage Logo.

Last edited by YoOa; 09-25-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:18 PM

I have ludwigs for my resos on my toms. They sound find. (My batters don't compliment them at all though. They are beaten up evans genera 1 clears)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM

,[quote=zash;747470]I absolutely LOVE the Ludwig Silver Dot heads! ... They sound awesome & the outlast anything else. ...I am at a cross roads now & feel it is still time to let the Silver Dot heads fade into history cuz They are a hassle to find & always have to order them..... but what heads should be worhty to fill the position of the Silver Dot head?"
END QUOTE.

It just shows to go ya, different folks like different strikes. If'n you like the sound of "thud" (ie, cardboard, or the sound of a stick hitting a potato), you can't go wrong with a "silver dot", or before the advent of the dreaded silverdot - the Remo black dot, or "centered sound (less)" for those with a memory. The first thing I did whenever ANYONE came into the studio with either such head, was to say to the concussionist in training "if you want the drum to sound or sing, then peel those turds right off so the drum is at least tunable". The nicest heads I ever heard in the studio were smooth white Ludwig Ensemble medium (7.5 mil I believe, my '81 catalog shows an Ensemble head availlable in either medium or heavy weight), very similar to the smooth white medium WM. They were wonderfully resonant and had an amazing range. 7.5 mil or not, there was something about that head. But that's just my personal preference after having been a player for 47 years and engineering for 17.

Last edited by Reo Fendel; 04-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

I kept the Ludwig Weathermasters that came with my Classic Maple as the resos. I did, however, use both Ludwig heads for the kick.

I didn't know the "medium" weight was actually around Diplomat weight. I may switch them out for the Modern Vintage heads like I'm using on the batter sides.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

The Lud. Med is a Remo Dip weight film, but it's a bit tougher than a Diplomat because of the coating Ludwig uses. It performed for me like an Ambassador does. I play Rock mainly, and pretty heavy at times, but the Ludwig Mediums held up fine and lasted as long as any other head I use.

Even though the Heavy coated is 10 Mil like an Ambassador, it doesn't have the same type of sound at all.

If someone likes that single ply coated sound, and wants to use a Ludwig head, the Medium is the way to go IMO.
That head is pretty durable, and even when I did get a pit, it didn't seem to matter at all. It didn't sound any different. I thought that was kinda cool (Ambassadors don't pit on me at all).

The Medium is also the same head Reo Fendel was talking about that was called the "Ensemble".

The Heavy Coated was called a "Strider" (marketed for Marching) and "Rockers" (for Rock) too. Same exact heads, different logo and box.

My 16x26 sounds awesome with the Ludwig Heavy coated batter, and I like Ludwig's regular Smooth White head for the Reso best of any brand.

On my other bass drums (the 18x26, & 2-20x26's) I prefer the Coated Ambassador.
On the deeper drums, the Ambassador cuts better. The Ludwig head is noticeably deeper sounding to my ear, which I don't need on the deeper shells.

Ludwig's 2 ply heads used to be made by Evans. I don't know if they still are or not.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Silver Member

I ordered my new Ludwigs with medium coated resos and heavy coated batters. I wrongly assumed that would be similar to an Emperor /Ambassador combo. I HATED IT!!!! I quickly replaced them with Vintage Emp batters and Coated Ambassador resos. The difference is night and day.The drums are crisper,fuller and louder now.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
Has anybody here tried Ludwig's heads? I'm mainly interested in their heavy one ply coated ones. How do they compare with coated ambassadors as far as durability and sound?
When I received my new Legacy Classic kit, it of course came with Ludwig heads. Medium weight on the rack tom and heavy weight on the floor toms. I had
already purchased new Remo heads for the kit, but since the Ludwig heads were already on the kit, I tuned them up and gave them a try. I didn't care for
the sound of the medium weight head on the rack tom, but the heavy weights sound fantastic on the floor toms. I've already ordered a couple more Ludwig
heavy weight heads for when they wear out. I think they wear about as well as Remo Ambassadors. I went with a Remo Ambassador-X on my 13" rack tom.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
When I received my new Legacy Classic kit, it of course came with Ludwig heads. Medium weight on the rack tom and heavy weight on the floor toms. I had
already purchased new Remo heads for the kit, but since the Ludwig heads were already on the kit, I tuned them up and gave them a try. I didn't care for
the sound of the medium weight head on the rack tom, but the heavy weights sound fantastic on the floor toms. I've already ordered a couple more Ludwig
heavy weight heads for when they wear out. I think they wear about as well as Remo Ambassadors. I went with a Remo Ambassador-X on my 13" rack tom.
I heard the same exact thing from the Five Star shop I frequent. I was checking out a Ludwig Legacy Exotic kit a few weeks ago and noticed that it had Evans G2 Coated heads on its toms. I asked some of my friends there what was going on? They said that they just could not get a decent sound out of the Ludwig Medium heads that came standard on these kits,l so they made a deal with Evans to outfit the Legacy kits they had in stock with Evans G1 clear resonant and G2 Coated heads on the toms. They did sound spectacular compared to another Legacy Exotic kit with the Medium Ludwig heads still installed sitting next to it. BTW, they didn't change the bass drum's "Ludwig" logoed resonant head or the snare heads.

Beautiful sounding and looking set of drums.

Dennis
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Just got some Classic Maples about 2 months ago. Came with Ludwig Coated Heavy heads on both reso and batter. I swapped out the reso's with some clear Ambassadors and left the heavy heads on the batters. This pretty much gives me Ambassador's on both sides. I may eventually switch out the batters with Vintage Emp's but for now I'll keep playing these. I think they sound really nice. Plus I have an extra set. Nice bright sound with good resonance.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

My local shop carries Ludwig heads, so I've been tempted to try them. Does anyone here actually use them repeatedly, i.e. not just using stock heads?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
My local shop carries Ludwig heads, so I've been tempted to try them. Does anyone here actually use them repeatedly, i.e. not just using stock heads?
I do, at least on the floor toms and kick drum reso.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
I do, at least on the floor toms and kick drum reso.
What kind of heads do you use on your floor toms? heavy coated o clear? I'm looking for a ludwig head like the coated emperor (I'm buying a Classic Maple set)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

I just set up an 80s Super Sensitive with a coated Heavy batter and clear X-tra thin snare side and I love it.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepino View Post
What kind of heads do you use on your floor toms? heavy coated o clear? I'm looking for a ludwig head like the coated emperor (I'm buying a Classic Maple set)
I've been alternating between the Ludwig heavy coated, and Remo clear emperors. The reso heads are clear ambassadors. The Ludwig heavy weight heads are thick single ply, whereas the emperors are 2 ply. Tuned low, there's not that much difference between them.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 PM

I'm about to place my order on a Classic Maple 16x14" floor tom, and I have a bit of a doubt about the heads, I'm looking for coated emperors on the batter side and clear ambassador reso, wich Ludwig heads are the closest to those models?

Last edited by pepino; 07-17-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepino View Post
I'm about to place my order on a Classic Maple 16x14" floor tom, and I have a bit of a doubt about the heads, I'm looking for coated emperors on the batter side and clear ambassador reso, wich Ludwig heads are the closest to those models?
None, just get the heads you want.

Ludwig's film sounds nothing like Remo's.
Coated Ludwig medium top, and a clear medium can sound pretty good, but it's not as fat, or full as a Coated Emp and Ambassador combo.

You can order the drum with whatever Ludwig heads you want, so maybe get clear heavies and that way you'll at least have two bottom heads to use for quite a while.
A Coated Emp on top will sound good with the clear heavy bottom.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
None, just get the heads you want.

Ludwig's film sounds nothing like Remo's.
Coated Ludwig medium top, and a clear medium can sound pretty good, but it's not as fat, or full as a Coated Emp and Ambassador combo.

You can order the drum with whatever Ludwig heads you want, so maybe get clear heavies and that way you'll at least have two bottom heads to use for quite a while.
A Coated Emp on top will sound good with the clear heavy bottom.
Thank you Karl, that's a great idea brother, plus I'm missing a reso head for my 16" floor tom of another drum set, so that'll do, so, I'll do that and get the remo emperor and leave the ludwig heavy clear on the reso.