DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 AM

Default Optimounts on Pearl Forum

I have a pearl forum drum set i bought late 1990's. Had it 'bout 13 yrs, never able to convince my family that I need a new drum set. So to compromise I was thinking I could get suspension mounts to get better resonance. I know the I.S.S mount isn't very good, but the optimount is supposed to be decent. In your opinion(s), is it worth putting optimounts on a pearl forum or should I just focus on convincing my wife that I need a new drumset?
17", 19" K Cst Hybrid
21" A Sweet Ride
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Optimounts on Pearl Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAiracobraX View Post
I have a pearl forum drum set i bought late 1990's. Had it 'bout 13 yrs, never able to convince my family that I need a new drum set. So to compromise I was thinking I could get suspension mounts to get better resonance. I know the I.S.S mount isn't very good, but the optimount is supposed to be decent. In your opinion(s), is it worth putting optimounts on a pearl forum or should I just focus on convincing my wife that I need a new drumset?
Hi again! In my opinion it would probably be worth it if the drums were even the quality of a Vision kit. Depending on how many drums you'll have to outfit, the price of the Optimounts could be worth more than the 13 year old Forum drums themselves. Although I despise ISS mounts, I'd leave them.

If it were me, I would have to take the wife out to dinner and do a little sweet talking, lol.

Just my opinion.
Dennis
Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 AM

The pearl forum drums from the 90's didn't have any suspension mount at all. The tom hard goes into a hard mount bolted on the side of the drum. The tom arm goes through a hole in the drum. I have read that pearl sells plates to cover up these holes. So I would be going from a very hard stiff mount, to a significantly freer suspension mount. But it since a the vision kit is higher quality than the forum, it sounds like this is not a worth while undertaking...am I right?
17", 19" K Cst Hybrid
21" A Sweet Ride
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM

if i where you i would take the hardware and wrap off and stain the shells then lacquer it and put the hardware back on. it costs very little and it makes a change from what you are used to.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go for RIMS mounts if you get anything.
Less expensive than Opti-mounts, the drums will be lighter, and if/when you sell the kit, you can keep the RIMS and use them on the next kit.

Just doing the toms I assume?

Leave the floor toms on the legs they have, but get some Pearl suspension feet. They will help the sound of them a lot, and they are inexpensive.

Just my 2 cents.