DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM

Default How do I make my sticks last longer?

So I'm a pretty darn low-budget drummer. When I buy sticks I need them to last as long as possible. And I play with 7A's so they're not very thick and break pretty easily. I've just recently started taking precautions since I broke a pear in only like an hour of playing, they were crap sticks though. And my sticks always break because the shoulders(?) of the sticks always get chewed up by my hats so bad that they get chopped off. This is a bigger problem than it is for most because I play open-handed so I tend to hit the side of the hats at a steep angle. I'm not a drum equipment expert because I just found out the tilter under the cup, so I put that nearly all the way up, and my hats are as low to the ground as possible, so I think that helped. But I'm still not hitting the hats with the tip I don't think.

The cymbals and ride aren't a problem BTW. So what can I do, other than tilt the hats to avoid breaking more sticks?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 PM

Default Re: How do I make my sticks last longer?

Get a pair of high quality sticks (vic firth) and work on not hitting the hi hats from the side.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 AM

Use nylon tips. And do what randrade said
Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markery View Post
my sticks always break because the shoulders(?) of the sticks always get chewed up by my hats so bad that they get chopped off. This is a bigger problem than it is for most because I play open-handed so I tend to hit the side of the hats at a steep angle
Well, there's your problem. Usually when people want to split wood, they do it by throwing/swinging a sharp metal edge at it. In your case, you're swinging the wood at the sharp metal edge.

Quote:
The cymbals and ride aren't a problem BTW. So what can I do, other than tilt the hats to avoid breaking more sticks?
Play your hats with the tips of your sticks on top of the top hat. I mean, that's what *most* people do. Problem solved.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 AM
audiotech

This sounds rather strange to me, not that you're breaking or damaging sticks, but you're a very young drummer and at the same time you're using 7A sticks. There's nothing wrong with this at all because when I first started I used what my dad used and they were 7As. Most younger drummers that I'm familiar with and many not so young, seem to migrate into a bit more heavier stick such as 5B or even 2B. What got you started playing with a 7A, I'm just wondering? Many of my sticks, no matter what size, suffer from the dreaded shoulder rash and this is mostly from rim shots. If you're not completely committed to 7As, try some 5As, they should be able to take a bit more of a beating and last you longer.

Dennis
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen clips of open handed drummers who have their hats at almost the same level of the snare playing surface. If you're not crossing over there's less reason to have them at normal height. That might produce a less axe-like angle.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Bump up your stick choice to a 5A or 5B. Review your hihat technique. You may need to bring the hats down a little, and then change your playing position. Aim to play louder strokes (not played with the tip of stick) with all of the shoulder accross the surface of the hat. You'll need to hold your elbow and wrist in a higher position.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Make sure you lower your hats, and that should take care of the problem. Mine are plenty low, but eventually the shoulders get chewed up from rim shots, and occasionally hitting the hi hat with the shoulder
Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Rebel

Man - with all previous recommendations said, in which I agree...Your problem must be solved!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Ahead sticks.

iīve been playing my Studio Hybrid ABīs for six months without a sign of breaking or splinter-age.

and no stick-meat on the floor to clean up.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM

USE THE OTHER END YAAAAR!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
This sounds rather strange to me, not that you're breaking or damaging sticks, but you're a very young drummer and at the same time you're using 7A sticks. There's nothing wrong with this at all because when I first started I used what my dad used and they were 7As. Most younger drummers that I'm familiar with and many not so young, seem to migrate into a bit more heavier stick such as 5B or even 2B. What got you started playing with a 7A, I'm just wondering? Many of my sticks, no matter what size, suffer from the dreaded shoulder rash and this is mostly from rim shots. If you're not completely committed to 7As, try some 5As, they should be able to take a bit more of a beating and last you longer.

Dennis
I've tried bigger sticks, and they're pretty hard to play with and I get REALLY bad blisters when I drum with them. My hands are quite small and skinny.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 AM
audiotech

I see. Well if the other suggestions don't work out for you, if it was me, I would get a pair of 5A sticks and use them in conjunction with the 7As until your hands get use to them. Just don't rely on the 5As alone at first, just intermix them if you can.

Dennis
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Well, every drummer is going to break sticks. I am a "conservative" loud hard drummer that does not break sticks until the bitter end. My 2 cents is this; learn technique. I took private lessons from Gene Okomoto (currently of Pearl Drums for many years now) in Oakland CA.....he was a Chuck Brown (THE GREAT SF Bay Area Drum Teacher) "mentor" (so to speak)..............David Garibaldi ring a bell?. Shifting your HH will help but so will learning how to hit the HH to GET your sound and conserve sticks. The Best to you!!

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Really just lower your hats so that you aren't striking them on the edge much. Also look at using more of the tip and above the shoulder of the stick rather than the shoulder itself :)
Jackson
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt.mcrae View Post
. Also look at using more of the tip and above the shoulder of the stick rather than the shoulder itself :)
Jackson

That's likely to make the problem worse. The tip and narrowest part of the shaft (ahem) are most vulnerable to getting chipped or chewed up when used against the side of the hats or other cymbals. Try and direct your blows towards the thicker, shoulder section of the stick; come down and through the cymbal rather than 'into' it.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
That's likely to make the problem worse. The tip and narrowest part of the shaft (ahem) are most vulnerable to getting chipped or chewed up when used against the side of the hats or other cymbals. Try and direct your blows towards the thicker, shoulder section of the stick; come down and through the cymbal rather than 'into' it.
Yeah ok I see what you mean. I guess my mistake is a result of confusion as too what the shoulder of the stick is. It just seemed to me that his sticks were getting chewed up down around the shoulder area which I took to be almost halfway down the stick due to the angle created by having high hi hats. Anywho it doesn't really matter. You're point is valid :) definitely strike through the cymbals
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 AM

I would also try getting some quality (Vater) 5A or 5B nylon tipped sticks and just make sure you don't get outta control and hit stuff you shouldn't be hitting because that will take a toll on your sticks
Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 AM

Your original post said that your hats are already as low to the ground as possible. That's good. I play open too and I also have it low as possible. However, if you need it even lover, then one option available (though I don't necessarily recommend it) is to cut the metal bar of your hi-hat stand shorter so that it can fit lower inside the base of the stand. Just make sure you know what you're doing. Since you call yourself a low-budget drummer, I'm guessing you don't have a quality stand anyway. Just something to think about there. I've never tried it before.

I don't know how veteran you are at drumming, so you might have already heard this a million times always be aware that you hold the sticks relaxed. I'm telling you this because if you have a tight grip on your sticks then the shock of hitting the drums and cymbals will absorb more into the stick and make it much more likely to break.

An old marching band trick is to wrap white electrical tape around the area of the stick that takes the most beating. This tape is used because you can stretch it to eliminate wrinkles, and the color is the least tacky. It might alter the sound and feel a bit, but that helps absorb the impact and it's another level of protection to make your sticks last longer.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I've tried bigger sticks, and they're pretty hard to play with and I get REALLY bad blisters when I drum with them. My hands are quite small and skinny.
1) Breaking sticks in 1 hour
2) Really bad blisters

How are you with drum heads - do you find you dent them?

Anyway, it sounds like maybe a technique problem as others have suggested.. I'm no technique expert, but my suggestion would be to loosen your grip. Jim Chapin said something along the lines of "hold the stick like you're holding a bird - firm enough that it won't escape, but loose enough not to hurt it".

Also you don't need to lay into the hi-hats like your hate them, even for playing rock or metal.

And as someone else said, hit the hats more across the top than directly striking the edge.. i.e. NOT: |--^-- Hmm, not sure how that will look on your screen ;-) The vertical line is the stick.. it should be much more flat and almost as straight as the hats themselves.

This is all in my humble opinion of course, I ain't no pro, but I have been playing rock music for a long time and my sticks last a long time. I do remember when I was a complete beginner though having blisters and chewing sticks pretty quick, and denting heads.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

If you get blisters from heavier sticks, just start gradually working them into your practice routine. You'll build up callouses where you need them rather than blistering.