DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Update on Wac'd Drums

Gary has little white plastic plugs that he dyes to match the color. I will post a photo.
And when I say dye to match I mean brown to brown, black to black, not brown to siena gold or such non-sense. At least not yet.
Sorry for the blur.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 AM

Hey Everyone, Sorry I've been away for what seems like a long time , but other than the fact I've been computerless for nearly two weeks , which turned out to be a problem with the company I work for and not my computer, I've had numerous other fires burning that needed attention.
After being a lineman for twenty of my twenty three years at my employer , the bean counters decided that we cost the company to much money to keep going ( all of it crap of course !) so we got reassigned. Not overly happy about where they put us , but hey, hopefully for me I won't have to worry about it for much longer.

As far as Wac'd drums is concerned, we are moving along nicely and should be producing product within the next couple of months. I've got more ideas that should make it from the drawing board to production soon including the "multi hoop" . The " Bass Station" will most likely be the next product out of the gate once we get the lugs into production.

My partner Sean is starting to really step it up on the production end and we will have some top quaility stuff under his supervision. The attached pics are of his shop and I spent 3 hrs there today just watching the machinery in action. Just to cool!

I also spent a Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago with a reporter that wanted to do an article on the lugs you can check it out here - http://www.examiner.com/drums-in-tam...holes-obsolete . I had a great time doing the interview and was quite happy with the way it came out.

And one final bit of news , I have been approached by a major drum company ( though I can't release their name just yet ) and they want to add drums equipped with our lugs to their line up. We will be in talks very soon . That DOES NOT mean we won't be selling our products out right to anyone that wants to purchase them. I will have more on this as it comes to fruitation.

Those that have recieved the test lugs I will be in touch with you in the next week or so to get an update. So thats it for now, just happy to be back in action !

Thanks Everyone ! I would still be sitting on all this if it wasn't for all your support !

Gary
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Great news on the major interest. I was hoping that would happen for you! I'm thrilled that this is working out for you.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Great news Gary. I missed you at the last clinic as I was in Maryland spoiling the grand lads.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Gold Member

Awesome news Gary! I'm sure that these things will go big, its a great idea. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the standard within my lifetime. Can't wait for my set to arrive :D
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, great news on the drum company interest Gary. Hope you've got the trademark stuff sorted, as that's just as, if not more important than, the patent. Good luck with your negotiations.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Gary recently shipped a set of his Wac'd lugs for me to try out, and I have to say that I'm extremely happy with them. They make head changes and tuning a snap! It easily cuts the time it takes to put new heads on and tune at LEAST in half, if not more. And on top of that, they look awesome!

The following pictures are of the lugs on a 10" carbon fiber tom. I actually used lugs that were intended for a 5" or 6" deep snare, and used extra long tension rods. This drums sings beautifully now, it infinitely easier to tune than before. The previous lug system tensioned the heads against the flange that circling the drum underneath the batter head. Now, I can just ignore that flange!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Looks very cool Luke and it does make tuning and head changing much simpler. I have them on my Steambent snare and one crank makes all of the difference in the world without the fear of wrinkled heads or dead spots or spots that ping forever.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 05-21-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Looking good Luke. Of course, there's a call for sound clips!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Great news Gary! Congratulations! Hope you make a boatload of dough! It's really cool to see this thing take shape.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Great news Gary! Congratulations! Hope you make a boatload of dough! It's really cool to see this thing take shape.
Thanks Larry ! It seems like it is taking forever to get a full head of steam going.
In the back of my head I have to keep telling myself the things our parents always told us , "patience is a virtue" and "good things come to those who wait " !

The longer it takes me the better prepared I'll be, atleast I hope so !

I wanted to add this well written thread by Harry here also, as I don't know how many others have read it -

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=76177

Thanks everyone for supporting me in this, I hope I don't let you down.

Gary
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Hey Bud, you can't let us down. You have invested your own time, money, dreams, energy on this project, and we all wish you the best. if it doesn't work out, I could use a new guy to mow my lawn. You have backers and more than a few beta testers so have at it and let the chips fall where they may. But you won't let any of us down. Takes guts to make a move like this.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 05-27-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Some audio of my Sonor Safari snare with Gary's lugs being played in a large hall.
Drum solo is near the end of the track.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Maiden Voyage.mp3 (7.12 MB, 145 views)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 05-26-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 AM

Thanks John!

Bob that audio was great! Kinda like Jethro Tull meets Joe Satriani with some Bob the drummer mixed in ! Hope the lugs are still workin for ya !

Nothing new to tell you guys this week :( , but we'll see what next week has to offer.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Some audio of my Sonor Safari snare with Gary's lugs being played in a large hall.
Drum solo is near the end of the track.
Hey John, some nice playing right there! An eclectic musical soup, in the best possible way. Don't hear enough of your stuff!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Gary, keep your chin up. It's a great product - nothing will take that away from you. I've had a few fellow drummers check out my snare after playing live, so your system is generating interest. And like the other beta testers, I'm loving the easy tunability of the system.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 AM

A couple of new things but first I want to say Thanks to Andy, Harry , John , Larry , Bob ,Luke, Luis and everyone else that has been really supportive of my efforts. You all are the driving force behind everything that I have accomplished so far.

Legal stuff - The Articles of Organization are ready to go in. I am waiting for one signature and the paper work goes off to the State. Hopes are to have everything signed and sent in next week. Once they are approved we will have become a legitiment company!

Next on the list is getting the Operating Agreement done, to which we have decided to go with a law firm to handle this. It may take alittle longer but its in everyones best interest that we do it this way. Everyone will have the same know how going into this so there should be no surprises for anyone.

Also I have given many sleepless nights to this, but I feel the only way we will be able to march ahead at full steam is to go out and try and find a large chunk of Capitol money.
I plan on trying some of the local "hometown" banks before I resolve to going to some of the bigger institutions.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach this, what they may be looking for , what I need to provide to them to help facilitate this , PLEASE help.
All of us have pretty much poured everything we have into this already so what we need now is a good infusion of operating money.

Now on to some fun stuff ! I know many do not follow facebook (which is where I have been spending an awful lot of time lately) so I will now introduce you to some of the Wac'd Drums logos and our drum badge. Please share any thoughts you may have about them as anything can be changed! We were really fortunate that someone knew and set us up with the graphic artist Buddy King of the Grave Digger monster truck fame. Buddy is the designer of all the graphics you see on it and he has numerous other notable projects under his belt. The guy has been a pure joy to work with!

Also we should be starting production (finally!) on the lugs for the 5-6" shells and have come up with nickel finish that looks and wears like chrome plating , but without all of the enviromental issues associated with chrome plating. I was and still am amazed at this finish!

And I started the website, but right now theres not much to look at. Feel free to check it out and give me feedback on that also before I get to deep into it.
http://wacddrums.com/

Again thanks everyone!
Gary

Oh and btw , next week Jennifer will be redoing one of her drum covers with a singer that is coming from N. Carolina. It will be another video for you tube , but it will be done a little more proper than me and my zoom camera. This should be a blast!

the first one would be the drum badge, the rest would be for stationary, tees , hats , etc.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 AM

found one more logo. I like the black lettering but wasn't to happy about the but end of the stick .
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

I really like the logo Gary, its pretty awesome! Hope all the legal stuff goes well, I know that can be a bear to deal with.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 AM

This is a really cool system you have here, and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

I'm going to be honest, though, I don't like the logos. They look cheesy. I think that your clean and simple hardware should be matched by a clean and simple logo. Conveniently enough, the metal stopper that prevents the lugs from spinning is a slightly deformed "W." Maybe a simple stopper logo could double as a hint at the product's function and at its name?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaco View Post
Also I have given many sleepless nights to this, but I feel the only way we will be able to march ahead at full steam is to go out and try and find a large chunk of Capitol money.
I plan on trying some of the local "hometown" banks before I resolve to going to some of the bigger institutions.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach this, what they may be looking for , what I need to provide to them to help facilitate this , PLEASE help.
All of us have pretty much poured everything we have into this already so what we need now is a good infusion of operating money.

Great news on everything Gary, from the new finish, to the new site, to the new logo. All great stuff.

I've highlighted the above section of your post because, just like the legal stuff, it's critical to your progress. Things are super tough in the loans market right now, but there's still money to be had. The problem is that the conditions attached can be burdensome compared to a few years ago. Of course, you'll need to nail the amount you need extrapolated from your cash flow forecast. That forecast needs to be both realistically conservative yet positive. Do not ask for a range of amounts. That shows indecision. Be sure to justify the sales volumes by relating them to specific investements, customer estimates, and activities. Include all monies invested to date & by whom. This is important to show shared belief & risk.

High street banks are a good place to start. It's important that you have a direct contact with the investement manager. Do not accept any deal that requires invoice factoring. It's expensive & deeply unpopular with commercial customers. Many banks believe it adds security to their investement, so it's popular, beware! Also, once you've got their interest (under no circumstances before), check out their protocols concerning withdrawl of funding. You don't want to be left in cashflow hell just because some corporate decision puts you in the wrong catagory according to their latest memo! Conditions leading to funding withdrawl should be defined under default sections, & remain exclusively within that framework.

Venture capitol is another way to go, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. Return expectations are often high. Management fees are also high, & tie up a lot of your management resource. They're generally intefereing bastards with little understanding of the business sector. Read, only go this route if all else fails.

Hope these bits help Gary. Good luck man, I'm rooting for ya!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Gary
it's good to hear the legals have been sorted. I'm going through the very early stages now, so I have some joyous experiences to look forward to.

I haven't even started to think about the financial aspects yet, so can't provide anything other than to wish you all the best and hope you succeed as I sure would like to build a few more snares with the Wac'd lugs.

I was happy to read about the nickel plating finish - should be a very tasty look!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

A few months ago Gary sent me a set of his lugs with the instructions as follows.
He said, "Bob, have fun and experiment"
I did just that!
I purchased a vintage Ludwig maple 3 ply 5x14 shell on eBay for about $30.
I filled the holes from the original hardware with wood filler and I sanded the shell.
I also bought some 10 hole hoops and a throw-off from Gibraltar.
I bought a Puresound 24 strand brass snare strainer.

Here is what I came up with.
I have ordered a really cool wrap for this drum which hasn't come in yet.
I will post more pics shortly when I have finished the drum.

I love this drum. I have spent most of the day fooling around with it.
Gary's lugs work great!
I can't find one thing that I don't like about his system.
The tuning is a breeze.
The bottom head will equalize and be at a higher tension from the batter head all on its own.
I can quickly tune on the fly while playing just by turning the top tension rods a slight bit.
This drum always has a fully open sound. The harder that I hit it the more that it projects. It will not choke!!!
It is also ultra sensitive at low volumes.
When I play a rimshot it sounds almost like a metal shelled drum.

I believe that I now have a $500 drum for less that $200 dollars.

Thanks Gary, I love you man, and I love my new drum!
Attached Images

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-23-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Bob , I love you to !

No really, as your post turned what was otherwise a crappy week into a big fat smile for me !

I can't wait to see it wrapped! I hope you get tons of enjoyment out of it and thank you for the update ! :)

Thanks Harry, We'll be talking ...
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A few months ago Gary sent me a set of his lugs with the instructions as follows.
I did just that!
I filled the holes from the original hardware with wood filler and I sanded the shell.

Gary's lugs work great!
The tuning is a breeze.
The bottom head will equalize and be at a higher tension from the batter head all on its own.
I can quickly tune on the fly while playing just by turning the top tension rods a slight bit.
This drum always has a fully open sound. The harder that I hit it the more that it projects. It will not choke!!!

Very nice work Bob. Love your description of the sound. Looking forward to the finished pictures, but the drum already looks superb with Gary's lugs in place.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Gary and KIS,
I put a Drum Dial on the drum just to see what it tensioned out at.
The batter single ply coated head measured about 86
and the thin bottom head measured about 82.
That is what I normally tune a snare to with conventional lugs.
A snare bottom max's out at about 82 on my dial.
I havent even put good heads on this drum yet.
These are just Chinese Remo's.
I will put good heads on when I wrap it.
I think that a higher quality snare bottom will take a slight bit more torque.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Here are the pics of the completed drum in Diamond Plate wrap.
The wrap was about $20 shipped from eBay.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Administrator

That is cool Bob. wow.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Gold Member

Thats a beautiful snare!. Oh, not the diamond plate one, the black Force one in the back......JK.

No, I really love diamond plate and that snare is beautiful!

I wanna get a diamond plate reso head for my kick (a good one) but I dont know if anyone will make me one with a chrome Sonor logo.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

The snare in the background is a 9 ply maple Special Edition 5.5x14 in piano black.
I really like that one too.

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I did just that!

Gary's lugs work great!
The tuning is a breeze.

OK, I'm not gonna get all sentimental... but I know exactly what you mean. Since putting together my snare with Gary's lugs I haven't payed another. I absolutely love being able to change the sound between songs when playing gigs. I own a Sleishman kit and also find that these things can't be choked, so wonder if 'choke resistance' is a feature of free floating shells.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madidus View Post
OK, I'm not gonna get all sentimental... but I know exactly what you mean. Since putting together my snare with Gary's lugs I haven't payed another. I absolutely love being able to change the sound between songs when playing gigs. I own a Sleishman kit and also find that these things can't be choked, so wonder if 'choke resistance' is a feature of free floating shells.
As far as I can figure, The heads drive each other.
The batter pulls the reso tighter when it is struck.
This drum takes on a life of its own when you buzz roll on it.
I learn something new about it whenever I play it.
I don't have words!
One just has to try it and see.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 AM

Wow! You guys have me blushing with happiness right now ! Thanks so much !

Just a short update as to whats going on.

We are officially a LLC company now. Work has begun on the business plan to take to the bank, hopefully they won't be to bummed out with recent tank of the dow. I should have the plan done within 30 days. I wish it was tomorrow but the person helping me unfortunately has a job so he helps in his spare time.

Machine shop had a few issues , nothing big , but none the less has pushed back the production.

In the mean time I have been busy working on a shell that I believe has never been invented before. I'm still working on a couple different prototypes to see how far I can push the design but in a nut shell this is what I've got.
I've designed a shell that works with the lugs that allows you to reverse the shell for two completely different sounds.
One way gives you a very dry sound, sort of like when people throw on their wallets or moon gel , to get that muffled sound. Many of the metal and gospel players seem to like this sound. And you keep all of the volume of the drum without the BIG holes that some makers use. Rimshots are cannon shots!

Now remove the head and flip the shell over and you have your wide open , ton of resonance sound that many others like.
The interesting thing is that the drum retains all of its sensitivity regardless of which way you have the shell. And as Bob and Harry found out, you can't choke it, even with this shell design.

Its been out being played for the past couple of weeks by the business partners and each of them has been floored by it. One of them has already dragged it into to his studio to record with it.
I'll have much more on this as soon as I get all of the feedback in and adjustments are made.

With the things that are happening beyond my control , this just keeps my excitement level high!

Gary

p.s. Awesome looking snare Bob. I'm so glad that its working out for you and for Harry.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Gary you never stop!
I can't wait to see your idea.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

More nice stuff Gary. Exciting, isn't it! Good luck with the bank stuff mate. I'm rooting for you!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Gary, the innovations just keep coming! And it looks like you're putting Shadow Drums out of business before we even get started...
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Keep up the good work neighbor. Happy to see you moving along.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 AM

First, Thanks everyone !

Now , AAARRRRGGGHHHH !!! No I haven't been around much lately because I have been enjoying myself on some nice island somewhere enjoying the fruits of a lot of hard work , but because two weeks ago I had a lower back sprain and wasn't supposed to move from my bed ( yeah right ! , like I'm gonna lay in bed for a week) and then this past week (friday) I was down from oral surgery .. what else could go wrong ? , well let me tell you, while I was down I got a call from the manufacturing side excited to tell me they ran the first batch of 100 lugs. Yeah, I'm excited to , until I see them and I knew that a couple of the dimesions were off ! So now that I'm getting back on my feet I have to sit down and discuss where the mistakes are. Good part is that its just a few clicks on the program and we're back in business. The bad part is we have 100 lugs that aren't 100% correct.

So those are the bad things that have happened, but there have been a couple of positive things in the last couple of weeks that I've been down.
First is that we were contacted by a third but very large drum company interested in using the lugs. After we agreed to retro-fit a couple of drums for them to test they called the next day and got us those drums. We will be having a meeting with them this week at one of their endorsers clinics , so who knows what will happen, but I will keep you updated as many good things could come from this.

We have also been continuing the work on the "Flipshell" concept and we think we finally have it nailed down. Working the concept into a wood shell has been a little more perplexing than working it into a metal shell.

And finally we have the design pretty much done on the "multi -hoop" . The design looks conventional enough that it can easily fit among the typical hoops offered , but yet different enough that you will have to do a double take. With the way things have progressed so far with the lugs , I won't even try and give you a time line as to when they will be available but they will come , That I'm 100% sure of !

So instead of looking down on the past few weeks, I'm still looking up , and still very excited about it all . ( its just a little more work than I thought it would be, but I'm learning from all these lows ! )

Take Care,
Gary
Old 09-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear that things are looking up Gary and I'm sorry to hear about your back and the bad batch of lugs.
I know the feeling when your back is out. Mine is out right know. I simply bent down to pick up a hairbrush that I dropped and one of my discs slipped out last Wed morn. I was going to brush the 12 hairs that are left on my head!
I am still a bit sore but I am getting better.

I am still lovin my snare. I play it everyday.
I am thinking of trying an Evans 500 weight bottom head on it to see what that does.
I love to experiment with it.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 AM

Heres the lastest from the front line!

After much discussion between partners these are the following changes.

1. We have decided we will not be pushing sales of anything until 2012. Clearly the end of 2011 is fast approaching and the Holidays are right around the corner, things would be slowing down anyways. I think its more important for everyone involved to concentrate on taking their money and spending it where it needs to be spent during this time of the year.

2. We have decided not to put the Bass Station into production. It was decided that it would be more practical to mount standard style spurs on the Bass drums. They will be mounted very simular to the way the snare strainer is mounted. The spurs will be pretty straight forward but will be produced by us inhouse.

3. We will not be using any type of wingbolt or wingnut on the floor tom leg brackets. We have two types of designs on the table with one being a push and release type button. It will come down to which design proves more dependable.

4. The Flip Shell is in its make or break stage. The results have been very good, but its just not where it needs to be. I made some changes this past week , so soon we will know whether its a success or just simply a novelty.

So the lugs are set, there are no changes to be made. I might "leak" some kits for sale before the end of the year, but its hard to say .

Others things of importance- A friend and I went to a Design& Manufacturing show this past week and came home with a ton of new ideas! Some of the processes such as Photo Chemical Machining were unbelievable! So much to see but so little time.

But heres the kicker of the whole day ! Never thinking for one moment I would see anything music related, let alone drum related , we stumbled on a manufactuer that specialized in aluminum work. Well stuck way in the back of their display happened to be a drum shell. After further talking with the President of the company, I found out the shell I was holding was a Ludwig Acrolite shell and his company has been producing the metal shells for the last 50+ years. So after further discussions with him it was determined that we would carry on further talks outside of the show. We had discussed what would have to be changed as not to infringe on Ludwig but other than that the skys the limit.

So thats just some of what has been happening with us. I included a few pics on some of the prototype things we have going on. The snare is what I decided to call the 'Rimshot' snare. Weighing right around 14lbs and very loud. Although the use of an automotive rim isn't new , this snare is what got us into doing the flipshell. This one you can flip to get two distinctly different snare sounds. The other is the stationary butt plate, designed to match the stops on the lugs.
Attached Images