DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM

Default Big problem with the Roland FD-8 Hi-hat pedal.

So, I just got myself the Roland TD-4K2S electric kit and I'm loving everything about it... Except for the hi-hat pedal.

Randomly, while I'm playing with the hats open or halfway, an unbelievably loud crackling sound takes over and I have to close the hats to get it to stop. This is either gonna blow my headphones, stereo or eardrums if I can't fix it somehow...

Anybody have any experience with the issue?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Big problem with the Roland FD-8 Hi-hat pedal.

sounds like a cable problem - check they are inserted in the sockets correctly - if that fails then try another cable.....
Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 AM

Fairly sure the cable's okay, because the noise isn't from shaking the pedal around at all. It happens just sitting still or while I'm playing, doesn't really matter. Bleh. Makes playing most songs very annoying. lol
Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Fairly sure the cable's okay, because the noise isn't from shaking the pedal around at all. It happens just sitting still or while I'm playing, doesn't really matter. Bleh. Makes playing most songs very annoying. lol
It could still be a cable or one of the connectors on the cable. Try disconnecting one end of the hi hat cable at a time and plug it in and out and also turn the phone plug while it's in the connection to get rid of oxidation or dirt that could be causing an intermittent connection. The cable doesn't have to be moved for an intermittent to show it's dirty end, lol.

If this solves your problem and it shows up again, there are certain cleaners on the market to help take care of this. Deoxit D5 is one of the best and can be found at most electronic shops and also Guitar Center and so is plain ole rubbing or denatured alcohol rubbed on the connector with a Q-tip.

Dennis