DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 AM

Default CLIPPING!

First and foremost I appreciate any help that can be given. My problem is that every time I try and record my drums the toms/snare/kick all clip. This is my equipment:

- PDP 805 series drumset with zildjian ZXT Titanium cymbals.
- CAD 7-piece drum mics
- Behringer Europower PMP2000 powered mixer
- Behringer UFO202 audio interface

Here are pictures of my mixer and audio interface:

I connect my mixer from the cd/tape/line out to the input on the audio interface with RCA cables. The interface then connects to the USB in my computer. The software I use is cool edit pro 2 (I know its old and I could get new software).

On the mixer I have all the gains and the main turned all the way down, and phantom power turned off. The problem I am having is the wave lengths on the computer are obviously clipping and when I listen to them through headphones they sound like two trash cans banging together! I don't understand this because all of my gains are turned down.

I don't know if I am missing some vital hardware or I'm just not hooking everything up right. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: CLIPPING!

So you're using the RCA line out jacks from your Behringer mixer to your USB audio interface, right? If you're still clipping with that, and you've brought down all your input levels at the channel-strip side, I don't know what to tell ya'. Are you using your -25 db pad at the mixer?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 AM
audiotech

Since I'm not there, I'll have to guess. What's probably happening is that you're distorting the audio in the first stages of the mixer. At this point it doesn't matter how low you have the pots set because the distortion is happening before the audio gets to them. I see that the mixer does have 25 DB pads, are you using those? These pads will reduce the audio input to the first stage of the channel by 25 decibels, but most of the time when close miking drums, you just need more attenuation like that of a trim control, which your mixer doesn't have.

BTW, the mixer is most sensitive with signals entering the balanced microphone inputs. Next in line is the Hi-Z/line input. Very similar to the microphone input but has a resistor network to desensitize the microphone input and allow much higher levels of about -10 DB to enter the mixer without distorting the output, this is not a balanced input. Then finally before the signal even gets to the level controls are the 25DB pad switches which further reduces the signal. The clip indicators usually monitor the first amp stages and warn of impending doom, like too high of levels, lol.

If you've tried everything else, try moving the microphones farther from your drums. If your mixer isn't designed for it, close miking drums is equivalent to someone screaming in your ear as loud as they can. Also make sure you're using the line output jacks on the mixer to your next stage.

I know absolutely nothing about the interface you're using, sorry.

Dennis
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Use the Pads. Works every time.