DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Default Dw 5000 pedals?

Hi i am looking at getting a dw 5000 double pedal. I play mostly metal and i want something fast, i do play other music though so i need something versatile and fast, i like triplets! What would be better, accelerator or turbo?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Dw 5000 pedals?

I am actually curious to this as well. I don't play double bass and am not really concerned with speed. I'm thinking about purchasing one of these in the future and would like to know the difference! Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I believe the accelerator has a non-linear cam so that tension increases as the pedal is depressed to increase power and sensitivity (like the eliminator's red and blue cams). The turbo has a normal, linear cam; the tension is the same throughout the stroke (like the eliminator's black and white cams). I don't know that either is better, it's personal preference.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 AM

If you can swing it. Move up to the DW 9000. I know its a hell of a lot of money. But it is so good, even out of the box.. I had to sit down and re think, how did I do that triplet, or that double.. Its so smooth after 4 months I am still trying to reach the limit to what this pedal can do.
I didnt like it at first... to radical. To smooth. I wasnt use to tap dancing on a pedal and getting such results... I know I changed the thread, but just my 2 cents. I feel strongly about.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

Ahh, gotcha. See, I've been using the demon drive for the past year and I don't know, maybe I haven't fiddled with it enough, but I just can't get into the feel it has. I've played the DW5 a few times and have always liked it. In fact, where I take my lessons they have an old beat up pedal that I actually like as well. I don't know, maybe I just prefer the chain drive models.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 View Post
Ahh, gotcha. See, I've been using the demon drive for the past year and I don't know, maybe I haven't fiddled with it enough, but I just can't get into the feel it has. I've played the DW5 a few times and have always liked it. In fact, where I take my lessons they have an old beat up pedal that I actually like as well. I don't know, maybe I just prefer the chain drive models.
That's it mate we all learn these lessons eventually. I've went for 2 pedals based on first impressions and for speed, turns out that what should have done was go for the one that felt the best and I have found it eventually The DW 9002. I do love my Mapex Falcon but there is still something I'm unsure of about it and I think it is to do with the angle of elevation of the footboard, it isn't steep enough for me and it can't be changed. But I tried a number of pedals in my nearest drum shop the other week and man the DW was the best pedal I've ever felt, I instantly fell in love and I bought one. It should be arriving today =D.

Also for the record I tried the demon drive and I did not like the feel at all, I'm not sure if I like direct drive pedals the are just way too smooth and there's no resistance at all or ruggedness and I like that feel of feeling what I'm playing rather than 'forgetting my feet'.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 PM

I hear DW 5000 and 9000 pedals mentioned a lot, but never 7000's. Is the 7000 just the poor step child of the other two, possibly the entry level version? I have never understood this.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

the 7000 (now called the 3000) lacks most of the features of the 9000 and 5000. Good pedal, a step above most entry level pedals, but definately below those two.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM

I bought a DW 3000 double pedal to "play" around with and I'm quite impressed with the main pedal by itself. Both pedals work great for me and I'm not out a lot of money if I decide to not pursue the double pedal route.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Hey,
In my opinion, Dw5000 it's not bad.
If you need for fast playing, try dw7000 ( I've it and i think it's very nice ) or Dw9000 ( Tooooooooo expensive ) :)
Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

The turbo is the original design with the fully round cam, which was the most popular in the 80's.

The accelerator came out in I believe 91, and quickly became more popular.

The turbo is (relatively) more smooth, the accelerator has a bit more snap to it.

The difference is personal taste. I think the difference is fairly subtle. It seems like most pros switched to the accelerator, but the turbo remained popular enough that they still make it.

I bought the accelerator myself way back when. I still have it, it still functions great.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

The DW5000 is like the cockroach of drum pedals: It hasn't changed in millions of years because its design was perfected early on. Tough, reliable, fast, affordable and everywhere. I have two of them.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The DW5000 is like the cockroach of drum pedals.
I thought that was going to be mean LOL.You should've said Alligator or Crocodile. Those are better and cooler examples...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
sticks4drums

The nice thing about the 5000's is that you can separate the two and have two single pedals. this is what I am doing right now. You cannot do this with the Falcon.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey182 View Post
I thought that was going to be mean LOL.You should've said Alligator or Crocodile. Those are better and cooler examples...
Your examples are not applicable in his context.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a 5000 Accel. in 2007 and can't find anything better. I tried the 9000 and thought it was terrible, both in design and feel. I tried the Demon Drive, Iron Cobra, and several others. Nothing feels as good as the 5000, for me.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post
I bought a DW 3000 double pedal to "play" around with and I'm quite impressed with the main pedal by itself. Both pedals work great for me and I'm not out a lot of money if I decide to not pursue the double pedal route.
i bought a dw 3000 single just to replace my horribly loose pedal, and lemme tell you that is a quality unit. i've never been happier with a pedal.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 View Post
Your examples are not applicable in his context.
What do you mean?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey182 View Post
The roach is a perfected creature - it has been around longer than any other existing creature, and will be around long after another cast of characters occupies the planet. True, they aren't very sexy, but neither is the DW 5000. About the only other animal as successful is the shark, but sharks are sleek and the 5000 isn't.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM

So far, I can't tell any difference in the feel between turbo and accelerator pedals. Maybe I just don't have the ability to distinguish the effects of each of these products. I have even tried the Tama Iron Cobra pedals with different cams - still cannot feel any difference.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyM View Post
So far, I can't tell any difference in the feel between turbo and accelerator pedals. Maybe I just don't have the ability to distinguish the effects of each of these products. I have even tried the Tama Iron Cobra pedals with different cams - still cannot feel any difference.
It's a subtle thing. I'm sure there is a difference, but if you can play on both equally well then that's fine.

I use a variety of pedals, but I use my DW5000 (Turbo) the most. I forget it's there, which is the best thing in a pedal.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:05 AM

I must be getting too old for some of the "new" features. I have played both Accelerator and Turbo pedals and cannot tell the difference. I have asked many top signed artists if they can feel any difference - the answer is most always "no". I use a DW 9000 pedal at the moment and I have set it up with various cam shapes. Still cannot feel any difference.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I use a variety of pedals, but I use my DW5000 (Turbo) the most. I forget it's there, which is the best thing in a pedal.
I agree with mediocre, I'd rather not have to think about my pedal. It just needs to exist and be reliable.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Platinum Member

I think you need to just get one (of whichever one you like) and start playing it. Your technique will be your speed. The pedal, although smooth, will most likely have nothing to do with how fast you can play. I've played a bunch: Trick, Axis, Tama, Yamaha, DW (both the 5000 and the 9000), Camco, Gretsch....and with the exception of the Ludwig Speed King, I can make them all feel like a DW5000 (which really feels like the Gretsch Floating action with a sprocket and chain, 'cause that's what it is). So put some money down and bring one home and start using it.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think you need to just get one (of whichever one you like) and start playing it. Your technique will be your speed. The pedal, although smooth, will most likely have nothing to do with how fast you can play. I've played a bunch: Trick, Axis, Tama, Yamaha, DW (both the 5000 and the 9000), Camco, Gretsch....and with the exception of the Ludwig Speed King, I can make them all feel like a DW5000 (which really feels like the Gretsch Floating action with a sprocket and chain, 'cause that's what it is). So put some money down and bring one home and start using it.
Agreed. The pedal is only a small part of the overall package. Sure, all pedals feel slightly different but unless you're on the bleeding edge of technique, then you should be able to use anything. I've played a wide variety of pedals since I've started playing and after I developed a solid foot technique, it stopped mattering which pedal I was using.

I can understand wanting to know the differences between direct and chain drive, but the only way to know is to get your feet on them. Make a decision, buy a good-quality pedal and stop worrying about it.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Agreed. The pedal is only a small part of the overall package. Sure, all pedals feel slightly different but unless you're on the bleeding edge of technique, then you should be able to use anything. I've played a wide variety of pedals since I've started playing and after I developed a solid foot technique, it stopped mattering which pedal I was using.

I can understand wanting to know the differences between direct and chain drive, but the only way to know is to get your feet on them. Make a decision, buy a good-quality pedal and stop worrying about it.
When Jojo Mayer says he's trying to develop a new different kind of pedal because regular pedals are too limiting for him, then he's on to something. For a mere mortal like myself, any standard pedal'll do.

BTW - talking about Jojo, does anybody remember what pedal he was using on that Modern Drummer 2005 Festival DVD with Nerve? A plain ol' Pearl 900 single! You can get those for $69 on eBay new. He was using a beater that was bent forward, but I don't think the pedal is stopping him ;)
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Agreed. Unless you're on the limits, then it really doesn't matter. I think Jojo has earned the right to do and say whatever he wants.

I have a Pearl P100 that I'm very fond of. Those old, light Pearl pedals are absolutely great.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Drumkid8,

I'm almost positive neither are better or worse. I think it just depends on which feels better to you. I would do a good bit of reading up on them, check out vids too, then actually go try them out and see which feels better to you.

I think almost all drum equipment is this way. As long as it sounds and feels good, use it. Why not ya know?

For the record, I have a DW 2000 that I got back in the beginning of January, and now, it feels like one of the best pedals I've ever played. Just cause I've spent so much time on it, and developed my feel for it. I can do some pretty fast doubles and even some triplets on it. But it's just cause I've felt my way through it. An earlier post said he thinks a pedal should be like there's nothing there, well, to me, that's how it is with this 2000. Once I get going with it, it just feels like a perfect extension of my body.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

If you're really concerned about flying, you need to find yourself a vintage Gretsch Floating Action pedal with a cam and a nice worn leather strap. No pedal plates, either ;)