DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Roland Octapad SPD30 and Korg WaveDrum

Hello fellas! I am thinking about getting one of those and i would like to get some reviews of either owners or others who have had some experience with them, you know, pros and cons, possibilities etc.. thank you all very much!
awww and a question if you'd like to answer... if you were to buy one of those, what would you buy and why? thanks again!
(i know they are pretty different, but they are both atractive to me!!)

Last edited by Dimm_k; 06-16-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Roland Octapad SPD30 and Korg WaveDrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm_k View Post
Hello fellas! I am thinking about getting one of those and i would like to get some reviews of either owners or others who have had some experience with them, you know, pros and cons, possibilities etc.. thank you all very much!
awww and a question if you'd like to answer... if you were to buy one of those, what would you buy and why? thanks again!
(i know they are pretty different, but they are both atractive to me!!)
I really depends on your wants and needs. The Wavedrum is awesome, but it's a hand drum synth. You can do cool non-hand drum stuff with it, but not much. It's a very unique instrument that, to really use well, you will have to spend hours and hours with. And, most likely, you won't have many uses for it at your regular gigs, unless you do a lot of acoustic hand drum-based shows. I adore my Wavedrum, but I don't gig it very often, and I do play a lot of acoustic shows.

The Octapad is pretty awesome. I don't have it, but I have an SPD-S that I use in a similar manner. It can be used as a stand-alone drum kit, adding electronic drum sounds to an acoustic kit, as well as a ton of percussion effects. I use mine at almost every gig, regardless of whether its a rock gig, a theatre gig, etc. For instance, I am currently using it for effects such as timpani, triangles, cowbells, and sleigh bells in a musical. Next weekend, I'll be using electronic percussion effects with my rock band. The last musical I played, we were really cramped for space, and as such, it was my entire drum kit.

Of the two, the Wavedrum is cooler, and you get more unique effects and sounds from it. The Octapad (or SPD-S, which isn't quite as great of a stand-alone piece, but can also do all kinds of sampling and import external sounds, which I don't know if the Octapad can do or not, but is totally awesome and something I use all the time) is something that I think fits perfectly into any set-up.

In order, I would recommend looking into:
SPD-S
Octapad
Wavedrum

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Roland SPD-S, 2 Korg Wave Drums, and 2 Mandala V1's ... and yeah ... like Mrchattr says ... depends on what you want to do ... for all round "versatility" ... I'd go with the SPD-S ... I've used mine as a "stand alone kit" as well ... and between it's sampling capabilities, and the fact that it has 9 on board triggers ... and capabilities to add an external "kick" trigger, to the situation ... it's a lotta "bang for the buck".
Wave drums, very cool also, but the big drawback, they have a time lag/reboot space "every" time you switch to a new patch ... which is why I have two, now. So I can more seamlessly transition from one patch to another ... and the same with the Mandala's .... but there are things the Wave drum, and the Mandala can do, that the SPD-S can't even come close to doing ....
If anything ... I "started out" with the SPD-S ... and a looping station .... and the rest followed ...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

thank you all very much for your responses!
well i was thinking about the spd-s but i think it doesnt have any sampler of its own, and it has to be connected always to a laptop or something, right??
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

Straight from Roland ... "The SPD-S Sampling Pad is an affordable and easy way to add sampling to any percussion setup. A great alternative to acoustic triggers and a rack sampler, the SPD-S lets you record CD-quality samples and play them back instantly using six pads and three edge triggers. Naturally, the SPD-S also includes preset sounds and effects so you can start playing immediately."
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
...If anything ... I "started out" with the SPD-S ... and a looping station .... and the rest followed ...

Hey Harry - I'm interested what you did/do with the looping station. I have an SPD-S and I'm borrowing a looping pedal. I wondered what directions you took....

Jim Martin Music
Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

The loop station I work with is an Electro-Harmonix 16 sec ..... a re-issue of an old device of theirs, with a midi hook-up added.
Since the SPD-S has a 2 channel output, I split the signal ... one channel runs straight into an amp. The other channel (wet) runs into the loop station, then thru an Ernie Jr. volume pedal, and then into an amp. The volume pedal lets me fade the loop in and out of the mix, while I can still access all my SPD-S sounds, on top of, away from, with, or without ... my loop, on my (dry) channel.
Then, of course, if I'm alone (like in my studio), I can get behind my kit, and jam away, on top on the loop. Or pick up my bass, my guitar, or go to the keyboard ...
A good example of ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxgdcw2Cawo
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Wow, your videos were one of the reasons I got my Wavedrum. Never ceases to amaze me that so many of the yt videos I've watched are from the users here, haha. I love your setup, have you got any pictures?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

That's not me ... or my video ... but it is an example of what motivates/inspires me
The cat who first caught my eye/ears, on a Wave drum ... Mr. Will Calhoun ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0CZMvwvSN4 aroung 1999, Will and Doug Wimbish had a project, called Jungle Funk .... simply awesome stuff ...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
That's not me ... or my video ... but it is an example of what motivates/inspires me
The cat who first caught my eye/ears, on a Wave drum ... Mr. Will Calhoun ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0CZMvwvSN4 aroung 1999, Will and Doug Wimbish had a project, called Jungle Funk .... simply awesome stuff ...
how much do wave drums cost? i really want to get one. bored of playing live with laptops.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

I bought my first Wave drum for $399, landed. My second one landed at $330. (We're talking the new - second generation grey/silver model).
Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

sweet cheers, i'll have to keep a look out on eBay.