DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Advice on adjusting tension on DW5000-AD3

I need some advice on adjusting the spring tension on the DW5000-AD3 pedal. I can't seem to do a double clutch with this pedal. It feels like the pedal is not rebounding in time for the second hit. This pedal is SO smooth that I can't really feel any resistance and I think I have the springs all the way down as tight as they will go. I just started playing again after 20+ years so maybe I just need more time to get used to the pedal. I used to play alot of Rush and Led Zepplin with i'm sure an inferior pedal by todays standards and never had an issue with double clutching. Are there stronger springs for pedals? These newer pedals have so many adjustments that its hard to know where to start! Thanx for any help...
Old 06-25-2011, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Advice on adjusting tension on DW5000-AD3

I'm kinda in the same boat. I just picked up a new 5000 ad3 pedal today and after hooking it up, the first thing I noticed was how heavy the beater was! I took it off and put my old Iron cobra beater on it and felt much better (for me anyway)
But yeah, to get my quick doubles going, I had to really tighten up the spring. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. You can adjust any pedal as close to they way you had it on your previous one, but it's still gonna feel weird at first.
have you tried tightening up the bass drum batter a little? That might help a little. Also try raising and lowering the height of the beater a bit.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

What's a double clutch? Do you mean just fast doubles?

Right out of the box, the DW5000 pedal is set to medium and actually feels pretty good just that way. You can adjust the beater angle, you can change where the S-hook hooks on to the cam and the spring tension, and that's about it. If you're heavy-footed, then spring tension will be one way to adjust for that, but this sounds like you need time to get used to the new pedal first.

What was your inferior first pedal?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:48 AM

I own the DW 5000 AD3 and I find that it's easiest to hit quick doubles and triples on full spring tension and nearly full stroke. For 16th notes i find high spring tension and a lesser stroke works well.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM

The inferior pedal was a mid range tama single. I think your right...I just need to get used to the pedal before I try adjusting it. Yes by "Double Clutch" I mean fast doubles...LOL. It's what we used to call them a long time ago... :) I have always played flat-footed but I think I will try to learn the "Heel-Toe" technique. Maybe that will help my doubles. Thanx for the help...
Old 07-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

i have my trick pro tight as it will go, but its direct drive with a titanium beater so its probably completely different to yours.