DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Tension rod extension to mount a splash

I'm looking for a simple solution to mount a splash on a djembe (but it should work for a snare or any other drum). I'm not very familiar with the drum's hardware, hopefully something exist to improve my solution - cymbal stacker put on top of tension rod head:

It is very easy to mount, can stand a good downward slap and doesn't stick into your knee. The problem is of course that it falls down if you tilt it or slap sideways - the square head is a bad match to the round opening on a stacker.
A rod with the threaded extension on top would be a perfect solution, or at least a logger square head, but so far I found none. All ideas are welcome!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Tension rod extension to mount a splash

You could replace it with a piece of threaded rod. It would screw into the lug at the bottom and use a nut to tighten the head. Further nuts and washers at the top would carry the cymbal. The rod is available from engineers stores, it is known as studding.

Or you can get it made on a lathe. In fact you could have a rod made with thread at each end and plain in the middle. It would cost a bit but it is an easy job on a lathe. Know any engineering students?