DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 AM
TNA TNA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 302
Default Pro-Mark quality?

Has anyone noticed a decline in the quality of Pro-Mark sticks. I've been using the same sticks for years (the japan oak) and I bought them mainly because they were very durable. But my last couple pairs have broken very quickly though. I've had tips split on nearly all of my recent pairs within a few hours of playing. Then today I was using a brand new pair and broke it after only 30 min of playing. I don't think it's me because I never used to break sticks this frequently, and I don't think I hit extremely hard. Anyone else notice their pro-marks breaking more recently? Now that I think of it I think it started around the time they change their sleeves.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 PM
classicstar's Avatar
classicstar classicstar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 314
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I have not experienced this, and I've used a lot of their sticks, and I love them because of the quality I've gotten from them. All of the sticks I have bought lasted at least until the taper was worn down until it was a little less than a centimeter, and the tips are hard to chip for me, and I use wood and am also a hard hitter. The store you bought them from may have just received a bad batch or they went through weather changes while they were being shipped. An example I'll use is that my local Guitar Center received a bad batch of Evans Power Center Reverse dots. I know it seems weird with Evans' emaculate quality reputation. Anyway, the heads I bought just sounded bad and a small chunk of coating came off on the first good hit on both of them. (I bought two of the same head) But a few weeks ago I decided to give them another chance and the guy at the GC told me they recently restocked their supply of Evans products and what do you know, I couldn't be happier with the heads I bought!

There could be many reasons for your sticks not holding up, and after being bought out be D'Addario I highly doubt their quality would be any less than it used to be. Since the switch for me it seems the color, weight, and amount of finish on each stick is much more consistent!
__________________
Tama ~ Evans ~ Vater ~ Meinl
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

My pro-marks always wear thin, and never break. I use 5A's with wood tips. Make sure you have not developed a bad habit with your hits.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Tommy Two-Shoes's Avatar
Tommy Two-Shoes Tommy Two-Shoes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 54
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

So are Pro-Mark quite durable? I play on a very regular basis and gig a lot. The music is heavy and I'm a hard hitter, so my sticks do tend to get worn down and sometimes break. I use Zildjian's, would I be better off with Pro-Mark? I tried a pair of my friend's 5As a while ago (I think it was American Hickory wood?) and they were great to use, but I wasn't sure if they were durable or not.
__________________
Twitter | Tumblr
Audioscribbler
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 PM
TNA TNA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 302
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Two-Shoes View Post
So are Pro-Mark quite durable? I play on a very regular basis and gig a lot. The music is heavy and I'm a hard hitter, so my sticks do tend to get worn down and sometimes break. I use Zildjian's, would I be better off with Pro-Mark? I tried a pair of my friend's 5As a while ago (I think it was American Hickory wood?) and they were great to use, but I wasn't sure if they were durable or not.
Check out the Pro-Mark japan oak sticks that I use. I've been using them for years and made the switch to them because of their durability. Usually I've been extremely happy with them. They are a bit expensive, but I usually found them more than worth the price.

Maybe it was a bad batch? Maybe I've my technique has changed and I haven't really noticed? Just wanted to make sure I could still trust Pro-Mark.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,728
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

The oak sticks are too loud for me... I do play promark 7a wood tip, though... And I had noticed exactly what you did... I recently bought 4 pair, and on 3 of the pair, all the tips had split within a few days of playing with them, some as soon as about a half hour's worth of playing.

Problem is, I like the tips they use, the shape seems somewhat unique and has great sound, just wish it were more durable.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

Here's my take on it. My little "conspiracy theory" of sorts.

Everyone has their lower quality "seconds" brand, such as Vic Firth's ''Nova". These are usually the sticks that don't meet the quality specifications to be called "Vic Firth", "Pro-Mark", "Vater", etc.

However, in a bad economy (like now) it doesn't make sense to sell a pair of sticks for $2 when you can sell them for $8 or more. You will see more and more of what should be "seconds" making the grade. This is probably happening to all manufacturers, not just Pro-Mark.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 498
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Here's my take on it. My little "conspiracy theory" of sorts.

Everyone has their lower quality "seconds" brand, such as Vic Firth's ''Nova". These are usually the sticks that don't meet the quality specifications to be called "Vic Firth", "Pro-Mark", "Vater", etc.

However, in a bad economy (like now) it doesn't make sense to sell a pair of sticks for $2 when you can sell them for $8 or more. You will see more and more of what should be "seconds" making the grade. This is probably happening to all manufacturers, not just Pro-Mark.
I can guarantee that this is not the case with Pro-Mark. The standards have actually increased for Pro-Mark sticks since the company was acquired by D'Addario. The state of the economy isn't having any effect on the standards that our sticks are being held to.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris's Avatar
Stalwart_Pandora-Chris Stalwart_Pandora-Chris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 727
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I have a pair of Pro Mark naturals. They feel HORRIBLE.
They slip out my hands, they get dirty, they sound pretty bad.
I also had the same issue with Vic Firth, I played for no longer than half an hour and the sticks just snapped. So I bought another pair, same thing happened, and again. Happened again.

Decided it was a change of brand. Pro Mark have a terrible feel to me, Vic Firth I cannot trust, I am leaning towards Vater but at the moment Zildjian have won this war.
__________________
Mapex, Sabian, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,876
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I have had almost every kind of drumstick made since I got my first drumset in 1969. I have some Vater and ProMark sticks that I bought in the last year, and they have held up just fine. Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seminole, Florida
Posts: 14,747
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

In order for me. Regal Tip, Vic Firth, Vater, Pro Mark, and Zildjian. I have had a bunch of each and the Zildjian and Pro Mark feel too light for the same size as the other sticks. For nylon tip you cannot beat Regal Tip. I do want to try the Zildjian No Shock or what ever they are called because as I get older my hands hurt more than before. Thank you Arthritis.
__________________
Follower of the Famularo Philosophy.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM
SAINTDRUMS's Avatar
SAINTDRUMS SAINTDRUMS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 122
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I play the Pro Mark japanese oak 2B nylons. I've recently been disappointed with having three pairs split & break. One of them was only two gigs old! I can tell you I play them because of their durability and like others have stated they wear down, bit typically do not break. I usually NEVER break my 2Bs. I have to throw them out because they wear to the point that the fulcrum changes, at least in my mind... At $8 - $9 a pair, I'll give my business to another manufacturer if another pair breaks!

It's funny, I thought it was just a bad pair or two...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Drums&Beer's Avatar
Drums&Beer Drums&Beer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 318
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I used Pro-Marks religiously for several years and the biggest problem I had with their product was not with durability but rather with finding pairs that were weighted evenly. I also noticed a few issues with what I used to call "Buying a Banana" aka getting a warped stick. Keep in mind that I used to buy them by the brick, so rolling them out was not always an option.

As far a durability is concerned, I always felt I got my money's worth & I used to play pretty hard.

I don't use Pro-mark anymore but the few pairs that I have tried recently (a pair of Stingers, 9A Carl Allens, and a pair of 718's) were all of much higher quality than what I used to purchase 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 498
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
I have a pair of Pro Mark naturals. They feel HORRIBLE.
They slip out my hands, they get dirty, they sound pretty bad.
I also had the same issue with Vic Firth, I played for no longer than half an hour and the sticks just snapped. So I bought another pair, same thing happened, and again. Happened again.

Decided it was a change of brand. Pro Mark have a terrible feel to me, Vic Firth I cannot trust, I am leaning towards Vater but at the moment Zildjian have won this war.
The "Natural" sticks are meant to have a specific feel for a niche group of drummers. If that's not your thing, check out the rest of the Pro-Mark line. I'm sure you'll find something you like.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM
FlyingBIZKIT FlyingBIZKIT is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 59
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I use Pro Mark. I have the Mike Portnoy Signature Sticks, they feel real nice. I bought about 5 pairs 6 months ago, and they are all still holding up. One however is about to break, but they are really good for me!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I want to try one of these: Ian Paice's signature sticks!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Always say, I have No Fear.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
drumhammerer drumhammerer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 407
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I find that the oak sticks always tend to split when they break, which is why I quit using them years ago. If you want something that just wears down, get the hickory version. More durable IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
creepshow's Avatar
creepshow creepshow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 57
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I've using Pro-Mark sticks for years and I don't ever remember having quality issues with them. They've always been very durable. I've tried tons of other sticks over the years just to see what they are like, and I always end up coming back to Pro-Mark. I love the 707s!! :)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
swingdrummer98 swingdrummer98 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

They've always been fine. I have broken other sticks, but not Pro-Mark.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 AM
DeanOdgers DeanOdgers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney currently
Posts: 47
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I have used Promark 7A's for years, some of the tips split off quickly but if you have a look at them and have a quick bash on a pad before you buy them you should be fine. All companies have issues like that. Remo went through a stage of the skin peeling off the rims for a while
Or maybe Australia just gets all the throw back haha
__________________
simplicity isn't stupidity - Steve Jordan.

http://deanodgers.webs.com
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-14-2011, 05:32 PM
HoM3R's Avatar
HoM3R HoM3R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 88
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

3 years of Vic Firth close to 50 pairs
1 year Pro-Mark close to 5 pairs
thats YAY for my wallet maths
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 AM
tbdd's Avatar
tbdd tbdd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 142
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums&Beer View Post
I used Pro-Marks religiously for several years and the biggest problem I had with their product was not with durability but rather with finding pairs that were weighted evenly. I also noticed a few issues with what I used to call "Buying a Banana" aka getting a warped stick. Keep in mind that I used to buy them by the brick, so rolling them out was not always an option.

As far a durability is concerned, I always felt I got my money's worth & I used to play pretty hard.

I don't use Pro-mark anymore but the few pairs that I have tried recently (a pair of Stingers, 9A Carl Allens, and a pair of 718's) were all of much higher quality than what I used to purchase 10 years ago.
Useless chinwagen :
Definitely noticed the weight issues , but god i love these sticks, had some trouble with breakage being a solid hitter, over the last 8 years have gone from 7 a's to 5 b's working up size by size, pretty dumb to use 7a's for what i was doing at the time.

a pair of 5 a's will last me only about 2 gigs and 4 practices, on an average.
Lots (majority) Rim shots solid bell hits etc. they hardly ever snap, massive cracks though...

But they feel pretty good!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM
bosman's Avatar
bosman bosman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 116
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

The Pro Mark 5A Oak are the only sticks I use. I have been using them approximately 6 or 7 years.

When I first started using them, I used to break them all the time. That's also when I used to break cymbals too ha ha. I was playing ridiculously and unnecessarily hard under way too many beers.

I no longer break these sticks (or cymbals). I cannot attest that to an improvement of quality from Pro Mark or my playing. They do wear out though after about 5 gigs. I rim shot my snare 90% of the time. I have never had a tip chip or break.

By the way, I LOVE the Pro Mark Oaks!

I almost forgot. I cannot use the nylon tip 5A oaks because they do split right away for me. They wont last me 2 hours. Shame. Wood tip for me only!

Last edited by bosman; 06-26-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: comment
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Mark_S's Avatar
Mark_S Mark_S is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Leicester, England, U.K.
Posts: 567
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

I brought a set of 4 pairs of pro-mark 5B sticks recently. I love the feel of them and they seem to wear better than the vic firths did (for me at least). The only problem I've found is they don't seem to be well pitch matched. One of the pairs, the 2 sticks sound completely different on the pad - one is fairly high pitched, the other sounds practically dead. The other pairs are more evenly matched though.

Other than that, I'm very happy with them so far, and the tips haven't chipped at all (and that's after a few rock gigs).
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
bolweevil bolweevil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 36
Default Re: Pro-Mark quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosman View Post
The Pro Mark 5A Oak are the only sticks I use. I have been using them approximately 6 or 7 years.

When I first started using them, I used to break them all the time. That's also when I used to break cymbals too ha ha. I was playing ridiculously and unnecessarily hard under way too many beers.

I no longer break these sticks (or cymbals). I cannot attest that to an improvement of quality from Pro Mark or my playing. They do wear out though after about 5 gigs. I rim shot my snare 90% of the time. I have never had a tip chip or break.

By the way, I LOVE the Pro Mark Oaks!

I almost forgot. I cannot use the nylon tip 5A oaks because they do split right away for me. They wont last me 2 hours. Shame. Wood tip for me only!
+1 from my end...though I have no problem with the nylon tips...these are the only sticks for me...

...if you want to talk about quality issues than I would mention Zildjian sticks--IMO they don't last long at all
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com