DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Default 24" kick - 1 or 2 ply

Getting a new batter head for my Saturn 24x18 kick this week. It still has the stock Remo PS3 and I was thinking of giving one of these EMAD things a go, but don't know if I should get 1 or 2 ply...what would be the difference in sound?

I want a big sound as I often play unmiked (and loud), but would like the option of getting a nice warm smaller sound for softer music.

There is also the GMAD, anyone tried it?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 24" kick - 1 or 2 ply

I almost always use PS3s. There's nothing wrong with those heads at all.

I tried a GMAD once and thought it was okay but was never really able to get the sound dialed in. Then the retaining ring that holds the foam deadening ring tore most of the way around the head (after only two weeks and I never even moved my kit!) so I just muffled it the way I always had using a small blanket.

I gave up on that head eventually and put the old PS3 back on and it sounded perfect.

That was on a 22" kick. Now I have a 24" and it's rocking the PS3 (or is the PS3 rocking it? Either way...).

Just my $0.02
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 AM

I have a 24 inch kick with a EMAD on it. No complaints at all. Sounds really nice with the larger foam ring on it. You just get a really nice low boom, with a short sustain that has the deepest overtones. Its really great for a deep hard sound.
EMAD
VF Kinetic Force 5B
Speed King
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 AM

I just got a 24x18 Ludwig Classic Maple bass drum, and I'm looking for the right head, I'm looking for a lot of attack, punch and definition, it would be great something that keep me away from using a pillow inside, I was watching a video of the new Powerstroke Pro clear, you guys have any experience with this?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Others on the forum have had experience with the Powerstroke Pro in non-24" sizes and most seem to give a favorable review. However, it is not currently available in a 24" size due to Remo manufacturing issues. All 24" heads or on hold until Remo figures it out which in my opinion is taking them a long time to figure out. Doesn't speak well for Remo.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Right so time for an update - Turns out the leading music chain in NZ has never sold a 24" EMAD/EMAD2/GMAD and it would have been a very long wait to get one. So I ordered the Powersonic, and man it is SO quiet compared to the PS3, I guess it is the foam rings and 2 ply causing this. The drum has lost heaps of its resonance and fat cavernous low end - this head makes it sound like a heavily muffled 22". I don't think I'll be able to gig unmiced with this head so will keep it aside as a spare. Not a fan!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepino View Post
I just got a 24x18 Ludwig Classic Maple bass drum, and I'm looking for the right head, I'm looking for a lot of attack, punch and definition, it would be great something that keep me away from using a pillow inside, I was watching a video of the new Powerstroke Pro clear, you guys have any experience with this?
Why does it matter if you use a pillow in the drum or have a bunch of stuff attached to the head? You are muffling wither way,

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 06-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Why does it matter if you use a pillow in the drum are have a bunch of stuff attached to the head? You are muffling wither way,
.................................................. .................................................. ........................