DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 PM

Default e-kit recommendations

Sorry if this already exists (I'm sure it does somewhere), but I didn't find much when searching.

Anyway.... Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Looking to get back into drumming after a few years off, and I'm looking for an electronic kit for some hobby-level home recording. Hoping I could get some recommendations on which kits & brands some of the e-kit players like. My priorities are:

1 - natural sound (or as close as possible)
2 - natural feel (ditto)
3 - quiet pads (as I now live in an apartment)
4 - preferably not more than $1000 if possible

Any help is appreciated.... or links to existing threads if I missed them. Thanks!

- Jeff (a.k.a. "Tom")
Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Default Re: e-kit recommendations

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time with anything below these options (starting with the cheapest). And, you can make 3 easy payments so you may consider bumping up your budget a bit... you really get what you pay for in these kits so get the best you can possibly afford up front:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD4KX2S/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD9K2S/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD9KX2S/

And, of course, they have higher end kits than that. But, I think these could at least be worthwhile for getting started again.They hold their value pretty well so if you could bump up your budget then you should be able to sell these for 75% when its time to upgrade. I just purchased a Roland TD-12 and I have had several models prior.

As for your priorities:

1 - Make sure it offers midi so you can connect to your computer (with a midi to usb cable). In this case, you can trigger the most realistic drum sounds such as Superior Drummer 2.
2 - Unfortunately, there just is no natural feel in eDrums at this time. But, I would try to go with mesh heads if your budget allows.
3 - Again, mesh heads will help in this area. Of course nothing is silent but the mesh heads are within reason. The loudest part will be stomping on the bass drum pedal.
4 - Hmmm... this will be a real challenge. I would also check Craigslist if I were you.

Lastly, this website will be very informative:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum.php
Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 AM

Look at the DM 10. Close to natural sounds, but will need modification to cut the acoustic sound (it's very loud with all mylar heads). This kit has no positional sensitivity the higher end Rolands have. But for the price, and if I had to start from scratch, I would give it a serious look.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM

I second the TD-9 if you can afford it, it has some good sounds and if you get the KX model with the mesh heads it will be acoustically quiet. You might be able to get one second hand for $1000
Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM

Great, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check those kits out.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 AM

I myself have td9 and td12 modules .... but I heard the latest DTX series from Yamaha with their new DTX pads are superb ..... give them serious consideration.