DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Anyone owned SIlverfox sticks?

I've heard rumours and the advertising slogan that the flagship model of sticks from SIlverfox allow you to 'Play harder. Last longer' and coming from someone who plays very hard, this sounds quite appealing.

Obviously they wouldn't make claims like that all willy nilly, so i'm wondering if anyone has lived with these sticks and if they actually last longer in comparison to other makes and models?

I mainly use 5A/B Vic Firths and have done for a while. I prefer nylon tips to avoid chipping and I rimshot more or less all the time as hard as I can.
So how would a nylon tipped, 5A/B Silverfox stand up to a regular Vic Firth nylon tipped 5A/B?

cheers all!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone owned SIlverfox sticks?

I had some Silverfox sticks a long time ago. I did not notice anything special about them. Maybe they discovered something new. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

As a long time user of VF X5A's & X5AN's, I was keen to compare the Silver Fox sticks. I'm also a heavy rimshot user, who regularly breaks sticks, so I'm in your demographic. I picked up a brick of SF 1A's a while back (I like a longer stick). They do break, but I'd say there's a slight improvement over the VF's. The VF's seemed to break randomly, sometimes even after playing for 10 minutes, whereas the SF's seem more consistent. I'm keeping with the SF's as I like the length & feel of the stick, plus they do seem to last a bit longer, but only a bit.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Interesting Andy! I haven't had a stick actually break on me in years! Mine always wear out to the point that they're unplayable, due to excessive rim shot use (starts to splinter a bit above the halfway mark). Not to mention it horribly messes up the balance and weight of the stick.

I've had a thought or two about the ahead sticks, with them not being made out of wood and not as likely to splinter. But if something's gotta give due to rimshots, I'd rather it be a $10 stick rather than a rim....

Also I'm pretty sure I've seen in a few signatures, that several people on this forum endorse the company, it'd be nice if they chimed in.

-Jonathan

And a like facebook.com/illusivemanmusic
Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

I've actually had that exact same problem with VF's breaking randomly sometimes, especially after getting them the afternoon of a gig and having them break before the second song!

I really do appreciate your input, I'm generally quite easy when it comes to sizes and the feel of sticks so the main consideration for this was durability. considering the SF's are the same price as VF and are used by some very hard hitters, I have a feeling I'll be making the change soon if they are what they say they are!

KIS, you also said they only last a bit longer. How much are we talking? Ultimately, the longer the better. Even if it's only for a few minutes longer than a VF, that could still get me to the end of a song or a set without the embarrassment and hastle of having to get a new stick half way through a song.

Cheers again.
P.S. Good thing there's a Silverfox dealer nearby!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Gold Member

Let me give a nod to a fellow DW contributer Luke Snyder. He has a series of lessons in Youtube and put similar VF and Silverfox sticks through a stress test. Here's the link.

I'm amazed that his snare head lasted through that...

Last edited by Red Menace; 06-07-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 AM

ugh i can't remember his name but there was a guy on here posting some videos of himself playing and i thought I saw that he played Silver Fox sticks on his sig or something? I honestly can't remember much but i do remember noticing the name of the stick company... I think the last vid I saw him post up was of a Chili Peppers cover...

not much help I know, but maybe someone will know who I'm talking about or if my THC preserved brain is giving out on me in my old age...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM

I've use the Silverfox wooden tip sticks. They use a coating that protects the sticks, allowing them to dent, but not to chip - at least not right away. They seem to last for a decent amount of time. With that said, my biggest problem with their sticks is that I prefer a nylon tip, but every pair I've bought - the tip pops off at least one of the sticks. I don't know if they glue the tip on or merely press-fit it on, but it's not reliable enough to keep buying them. Nothing is worse than looking down at your snare to find dents because the damn tip decided it wanted to be free...