DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

Default Anyone else getting a long buzz when hitting your Puresound Custom Pro wires off-center?

It was suggested that I pick up some Puresound Custom Pro Steel wires to go along with my Evans HD Dry head. I thought sure - why not add even more quality?

I picked up the 20 strand steel wires for my DW 14in maple. I have the stock single ply (Ambassador-copy?) on the reso, and the HD Dry for batter.

Whenever I hit slightly off-center, my snare wires buzz/vibrate longer than if I were to hit dead center. It's not a bark, or ugly buzz. It is just noticeably longer than hitting dead center. Probably unnoticeable with the hihat, cymbals and on a roll, but you can definitely tell when playing just the snare.

I think I've got it tuned pretty well. I've also adjusted from tight to loose on both heads. I've varied the tension on the wires as well. Still getting the buzz. Anyone have the same issue?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Anyone else getting a long buzz when hitting your Puresound Custom Pro wires off-center?

Ok…so I think I figured it out. I think a lot of my dilemma has to do with the nature of the HD Dry. It virtually eliminates all ring, and has a really short sustain.
Now throw in the Puresound Custom Pro wires, which are extra sensitive.

The only sound left after that very short sustain is all “strainer/wires”, when you hit off-center. Hitting the center of the HD completely control this long strainer – ring.

My solution when pairing the Puresound Custom Pro Steels with the HD Dry was to crank both heads nice and tight. I tune by notes, so the reso is tuned to C#, and batter is C. I suppose that reduces the reso head sensitivity/vibration.

Viola! A very responsive, higher pitched snare – which is actually my preference.
Looking to get the ST Dry next and we’ll see…

...always makes me feel better after I talk to myself…