DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Finally cleaned up the recording room!

Hey all,

Just wanted to share a couple of looks at my recording room. I finally got it all cleaned up and tidy, but this is basically the way I record myself - either playing solo or with tracks, or just working stuff out in preparation for a YouTube upload. The electronics side is pretty straightforward, all the mics go into a Mackie 1604VLZ, and then the direct outs (8) go into my Zoom R16 16-track recorder (8 at a time). I have Shure SM57's on the toms and snare, and a SM58 in the bass drum. An Audio Technica Pro37 condenser on the hat and an AKG SE300B as an overhead. My effects unit is a Lexicon that I have velcro'd to the top part of the Mackie. While recording I use Shure E2c in-ear monitors which I absolutely love (although my current employ has given me the Shure SE315 to work with). I plan on doing some new recordings soon but thought ya' might want to see it now that the room is basically all clear!
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally cleaned up the recording room!

Nice! I'd like to have a room like this!
You're a leftie, aren't you?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Hey, off topic but I see you run size 13 hats, Bo? How do you like em versus 14s?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

My favorite thing about these pictures is how you have the tilters on your cymbal stands. It seems like no one, no matter where I go, understands how they're supposed to be set up.

Thank you for keeping your kit tidy, and what a nice kit it is!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

How do others set up their tilters?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
How do others set up their tilters?
Yeah, I'd like to know...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks! Yes, left-handed and no, I'm using 14" Zildjian New Beats (my only pair for the last 17 years now). I'm not sure about the tilter statement, I think they're a rather straight-forward device, yes?

But to continue the bragging, these are Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elites (solid bubinga) in a custom gun metal gray finish (the norm is to have that silly gold band going around the middle of the drum, it becomes custom when you don't want the band) with a Stewart Copeland signature snare.

My plan is to fire up the electronics today and see what I come up with. The wife would like to see less cabling on the floor, but this is the best I can do. I was debating trying different microphones, but maybe other than trying a different bass drum mic, I don't think I can do much better than what I have. This whole set-up only occupies about a 5' x 7' space in my patio room. The room is still large enough and 3/4's empty with this set-up on one end.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Just picked this thread up Bo. Kit looks sweet, a real little recording gem. Notice you have your bass drum mic with the head right in the hole. I find that doesn't usually get a good sound, mainly because of so much air rushing past the mic head. Here's a fun trial for you, try micing the batter head from the outside, about 6" off the head & pointing mid way between centre & rim. Then crank the reso head up a bit to get a nice room sustain/boom. It makes for an interesting alternative to the "in hole" method.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Just picked this thread up Bo. Kit looks sweet, a real little recording gem. Notice you have your bass drum mic with the head right in the hole. I find that doesn't usually get a good sound, mainly because of so much air rushing past the mic head. Here's a fun trial for you, try micing the batter head from the outside, about 6" off the head & pointing mid way between centre & rim. Then crank the reso head up a bit to get a nice room sustain/boom. It makes for an interesting alternative to the "in hole" method.
I'll try it, but the room itself sucks. When I do the drum-room re-model (when we can afford it) I want to sand-load the floor and raise the roof to about 12 feet high with birch wood bass traps and all that. Then the kit will sound great with those three Earthworks mics I'd use almost exclusively. Until then, the close-micing is the only way I can go.

And usually, I haven't done it yet, I get a great live bass drum sound with the mic head just inside the shell, but pointing towards the shell and not the head. I was blown away when I discovered this working at Disneyland with a blues band once that I do it automatically now because I know it works so well. But I've also had great luck with the Shure Beta something boundary mic that you put inside the drum on top of the blanket. Those mics are awesome. Maybe I'll own that next....
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I run my cabling from hooks in the ceiling, it works great and I never have to wrap cable. Plus they don't get stepped on. Some job on those tilters Bo, how do you do it?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Some job on those tilters Bo, how do you do it?
What's all this about the tilters guys? I'm not getting it!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What's all this about the tilters guys? I'm not getting it!
Maybe those cheap-o Sound Percussion cymbals stands have a proprietary tilter that nobody is using ;)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
My plan is to fire up the electronics today and see what I come up with. The wife would like to see less cabling on the floor, but this is the best I can do. I was debating trying different microphones, but maybe other than trying a different bass drum mic, I don't think I can do much better than what I have. This whole set-up only occupies about a 5' x 7' space in my patio room. The room is still large enough and 3/4's empty with this set-up on one end.
The one thing I do if I'm set up in one place for a while and it's not moving (ie home studio - I don't know if you gig that kit or if it's the home kit) is to run cables to a single point, and then coil the cables, stack the coils and zip-tie the cables together into what looks like one large coil. The cables don't get coiled together, the coils just rest on top of each other. With some cable management (tying parallel runs) you can get a really clean profile on the floor. If you're moving the kit, then it's not practical at all; it can tack on an hour to tear-down if you need to deal with the cables. But if it's just there and immobile, it'll really help and feel less cluttered.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe those cheap-o Sound Percussion cymbals stands have a proprietary tilter that nobody is using ;)
Look just fine to me. Do they tilt? Hmmm, that'll be job done then!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
The one thing I do if I'm set up in one place for a while and it's not moving (ie home studio - I don't know if you gig that kit or if it's the home kit) is to run cables to a single point, and then coil the cables, stack the coils and zip-tie the cables together into what looks like one large coil. The cables don't get coiled together, the coils just rest on top of each other. With some cable management (tying parallel runs) you can get a really clean profile on the floor. If you're moving the kit, then it's not practical at all; it can tack on an hour to tear-down if you need to deal with the cables. But if it's just there and immobile, it'll really help and feel less cluttered.
Thanks for the tip, but yeah, it sounds like alot of work (this kit also gigs). I think this is as good as it's gonna get though, I'm already using short 7-foot mic cables. I think the wife will just have to deal with it. She's made the rest of the house in her image anyway ;)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on the tilters!

Looks like a nice, clean, streamline system you've got going on there. Congrats! Makes me want to get some work done.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

External effects processing, stand-alone HDD recorder...

Old school. But good school.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Old school. But good school.
I wish I was still at school, but that's got nothing to do with education (wink).

I'd also like to record all old school too, except for the tape nonsense that is. Give me valves, knobs & faders I can touch please. I hate menues!!!!!!!! Flying edits & chinagraph pencils rule, & the whole band riding the faders on mixdown was very cool too. I remember doing that with me doing channels 2,3,11, & 13. Our crazy hot girl singer was riding 5 & 9. My arms were longer than her's, but not by much, & boy did she wiggle to the groove. so did I, lol!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wish I was still at school, but that's got nothing to do with education (wink).

I'd also like to record all old school too, except for the tape nonsense that is. Give me valves, knobs & faders I can touch please. I hate menues!!!!!!!! Flying edits & chinagraph pencils rule, & the whole band riding the faders on mixdown was very cool too. I remember doing that with me doing channels 2,3,11, & 13. Our crazy hot girl singer was riding 5 & 9. My arms were longer than her's, but not by much, & boy did she wiggle to the groove. so did I, lol!
Well, that was a bit NC-17 rated ;)

It is a shame you can't just find a good solid 16-track recorder that's just a recorder and doesn't cost over $6,000 that you could mate with a nice console. But I guess there's not enough people to demand it. I saw the writing on the wall when the personal computer became the common de facto house appliance back in the late 80s.

I'm still puzzled by the tilters comment.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

There was a letter sent to 'Sound on Sound' magazine which appeared in the current issue about the multitrack recorder issue that you describe. It came to the same conclusion as you, other than to say that there are a few selling cheaply second hand now that were much more expensive until recently. I'm detecting a trend...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Computers R cool! Digital Yeah! Down wiv hardwares!

EDIT: I need to mention that, appropriately enough, this is my 1337th post.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM

every drummers' dream . nice & cool setup too .
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Incidentally, I own a pair of Shure SE115's that I'm very pleased with. I've had them for about a year and although I've soldered new cable onto them (oh the ugliness of colour-coded shrink wrap!) they are performing far better than I thought they would when I bought them in a shop sale. Without a doubt the finest in-ears I've owned (although obviously the SE315's are probably better) but the only caveat is that I had to experiment to find the right attachment for the isolating cup - the rubber ones were useless for my ears and I had to go with the foam ones.

They're not a patch on my AKG K701's though, but obviously I can't use those for drumming!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Incidentally, I own a pair of Shure SE115's that I'm very pleased with. I've had them for about a year and although I've soldered new cable onto them (oh the ugliness of colour-coded shrink wrap!) they are performing far better than I thought they would when I bought them in a shop sale. Without a doubt the finest in-ears I've owned (although obviously the SE315's are probably better) but the only caveat is that I had to experiment to find the right attachment for the isolating cup - the rubber ones were useless for my ears and I had to go with the foam ones.

They're not a patch on my AKG K701's though, but obviously I can't use those for drumming!
The 315s came with a bunch of different ear pieces and I've found that the conical ones fits best and don't come out. The isolation is pretty good too. I've upgraded my trusty E2c's to the conical ear piece and am waiting for those to arrive. Right now I'm using the last of my orange foam ones (at $20 for a pack of 10 pairs it gets expensive over time!).

And it does sorta suck about being not being able to find a recorder that just has 8-ins and 8-outs like you could back in the day of the reel-to-reel, just in flashmemory or hard drive form. The last cool incarnation of something like that was the Yamaha O1v paired up with the Tascam DA88. Simple. Just send 8 to the Tascam, and at the flick of a switch, have the Yamaha receive 8 from the Tascam for an easy mixdown. I love computing but that rig was so simple to use!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Nice little set up Bo!

So, he didn't come back and explain the tilters comment? humm...

I'm trying to record a few things today. I got a near perfect take, then I went and discovered the bass drum mic had moved 1/2 an inch and didn't pick up a tone worth keeping. :-(
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Nice little set up Bo!

So, he didn't come back and explain the tilters comment? humm...

I'm trying to record a few things today. I got a near perfect take, then I went and discovered the bass drum mic had moved 1/2 an inch and didn't pick up a tone worth keeping. :-(
Don't cha just hate that? That has happened to me several times and out of sheer human laziness I just dealt with it because I was simply in another room of the house when I discovered it.

What I normally do is get the tracks into the R16 and then pull the SD card and dump the files into my Mac and Logic Studio for further manipulation (very cool when I found out I could that with GarageBand). But then I thought, if I had another set of monitor speakers where the drums are, then I could simply mix down stuff right there without moving! Or simply listen back to hear if everything sounds good since monitoring in headphones isn't the optimal choice.

I'm off to BestBuy to pick up a pair of those M-Audio AV30 powered speakers (I'm debating holding out for the AV40's but I'm currently using the old DX4's now and I love those)!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Don't cha just hate that? That has happened to me several times and out of sheer human laziness I just dealt with it because I was simply in another room of the house when I discovered it.

What I normally do is get the tracks into the R16 and then pull the SD card and dump the files into my Mac and Logic Studio for further manipulation (very cool when I found out I could that with GarageBand). But then I thought, if I had another set of monitor speakers where the drums are, then I could simply mix down stuff right there without moving! Or simply listen back to hear if everything sounds good since monitoring in headphones isn't the optimal choice.

I'm off to BestBuy to pick up a pair of those M-Audio AV30 powered speakers (I'm debating holding out for the AV40's but I'm currently using the old DX4's now and I love those)!
How much were you going to spend on the AV30s or AV40s? Because I think I'm picking up the AV40s soon... and Amazon has a fantastic price on them, and since I'm a college student I have a free Prime account with free 2-day shipping so that only sweetens the deal.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Inferno View Post
How much were you going to spend on the AV30s or AV40s? Because I think I'm picking up the AV40s soon... and Amazon has a fantastic price on them, and since I'm a college student I have a free Prime account with free 2-day shipping so that only sweetens the deal.
The local BestBuy has the AV30s for $99, and I can get the AV40s online for $149. I'm thinking like you, I may get the AV40s instead because they have more input options whereas the AV30s just have stereo RCA inputs. The power difference is negligible for near-field monitoring, but I do like the fact that the speakers would be slightly larger in the AV40s.

If I had the money I'd probably pick up the KRK5's, but that's double the price. But who knows?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

im thinking he ment youve got the tilters folding in on themselves rather than reflexing outwards ? :S still doesn't make much sense :P

as shown here

nice set up ive been wanting to do youtube stuff myself recently but i dont have the recording gear for it and its blooming expensive.

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Wow! Drooling over that Rockburn kit. Especially the 6 lug bass drum, what a sustain feature!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

you know it! ;) gotta love rockburn :P

how about a far sexier example :P

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The local BestBuy has the AV30s for $99, and I can get the AV40s online for $149. I'm thinking like you, I may get the AV40s instead because they have more input options whereas the AV30s just have stereo RCA inputs. The power difference is negligible for near-field monitoring, but I do like the fact that the speakers would be slightly larger in the AV40s.

If I had the money I'd probably pick up the KRK5's, but that's double the price. But who knows?
I have the AV30s...if you have enough cables aready laying around (1/4" to RCA, 1/8" to RCA, etc) they're awesome. Only problem is the 1/8" stereo jack on the front has a little noise in it if you use it. RCA inputs are noiseless though. I think they're a great deal for $99 (I bought mine at AAFES, so no sales tax either).
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

Thank god, we got an answer. Thank you, Blingy! :)
...but I'd like the man who said it to explain. How could it be a proper way. I've only seen people tilt 'em like we all do. Hmm...
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

They just went out of stock on Amazon but you can get them direct from Amazon (so you know it's legitimate) for about 123 or so, save about 26 more bucks if you like... I can't imagine even if you have a shipping cost that it wouldn't still save you money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT: Aw, dammit. Should've double checked before I copied that link from my bookmarks... they're back in stock but they're 139 now... still a better price than I can find them elsewhere at the moment, although I'll double check other places on Amazon/eBay stores etc. I could go used with the Like New guarantee from Amazon with free shipping for 115 as well... hm. Not sure how keen I am on used speakers/audio equipment though.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Inferno View Post
They just went out of stock on Amazon but you can get them direct from Amazon (so you know it's legitimate) for about 123 or so, save about 26 more bucks if you like... I can't imagine even if you have a shipping cost that it wouldn't still save you money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

EDIT: Aw, dammit. Should've double checked before I copied that link from my bookmarks... they're back in stock but they're 139 now... still a better price than I can find them elsewhere at the moment, although I'll double check other places on Amazon/eBay stores etc. I could go used with the Like New guarantee from Amazon with free shipping for 115 as well... hm. Not sure how keen I am on used speakers/audio equipment though.
Actually, found a legitimate business selling the AV40s on eBay for $119 - no tax or shipping. But I may just save up for the KRK Rokit 5. Bigger, more power, and they got those cool lookin' yellow speakers. It'll be an nice contrast in a photograph against the gun metal gray Tamas.... ;)

It's all about the aesthetics with me, eh?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 PM

[quote=Coldhardsteel;849706]My favorite thing about these pictures is how you have the tilters on your cymbal stands. It seems like no one, no matter where I go, understands how they're supposed to be set up.QUOTE]

On the tilters....

My guess is he is commenting that you are actually tilting the tilters rather that having your pies flat.

Just a guess.

Your room looks great. Love to hear some new recordings?

Cheers,
-r
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=rjvsmb;850635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
My favorite thing about these pictures is how you have the tilters on your cymbal stands. It seems like no one, no matter where I go, understands how they're supposed to be set up.QUOTE]

On the tilters....

My guess is he is commenting that you are actually tilting the tilters rather that having your pies flat.

Just a guess.

Your room looks great. Love to hear some new recordings?

Cheers,
-r
Here ya' go. Did this one up yesterday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHB8XqBVJ0k

I was very surprised at how quickly I was able to get it done and how good it sounded. I'm lovin' a nice work space.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I bought an Audix D6.

One one hand, getting a good sound is easy enough, but if it's not pointing toward beater, it doesn't pick up anything other than "boing. "
Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm very much warming to Tama drums, and those pics are certainly helping. Very nice kit and drum room.