DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Default Tactile Monitoring

I've been seeing more and more about this product. Anyone else tried it? Got to say, I'm loving it!
www.porteranddavies.co.uk
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Tactile Monitoring

It's an unusual concept - I wonder if it becomes "Bum Numb" after a while? Also interested in comments from real world users of this doover :-)
Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Looks like it's $1600 (US) although they don't appear to have a US dealer. Also, the amp boasts only 150w @4ohms, and low end drivers need a lot of power. They don't show what's going on inside the seat, and that's also important to know.

I've been using a ButtKicker since 2004, and I always keep an eye on the marketplace to make sure I've got the best system. But without being able to try this, I'd hesitate to spend the money.

Bermuda
Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Worth posting this link http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75601

John, I know great gear when I see/try it. Both the performance and build quality are exceptional. It's bespoke built & designed for the touring pro drummer, nothing else, & that really shows. Additionally, I talked to the company owner, & they're happy to offer direct artist prices well below the RRP. Dare I suggest, in your case, there might be something significantly financially more interesting available.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 AM

I sent an email asking if they'd be at NAMM next January. I don't know JR well enough to try his. :)

Bermuda
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Gold Member

Woah, what's up with Gavin on that picture.

Fox.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I sent an email asking if they'd be at NAMM next January. I don't know JR well enough to try his. :)

Bermuda
It'll be interesting to hear of their reply. They're a very small company based in the same county as me, so NAMM would be a significant cost to them, we'll see.

I can tell you that there's more power available than you'll ever need. Although 150w sounds like it's weak, the fact that the unit is in the seat cushion itself, rather than being something that bolts to the throne base stem, probably has a lot to do with that. Also, high quality components & efficient use of power is key.

The performance feature that really impressed me was how accurately both the dynamic & the actual sound was translated into feel in the cushion. You could feel the duration of sustain when changing from beater rested to beater off the batter head. Also, it accurately represented mic placement changes by replicating the amount of bottom end delivered. As for sensitivity, even the smallest ghost was picked up, & that's with the unit turned down pretty low too.

I'm convinced, & I've certainly done a few gigs recently where this would have been a big help. I don't get the luxury of full spectrum monitoring very often, yet I'm playing gigs where I'm very remote from the PA with maybe a wedge for myself, so stuck somewhere between a rock & a hard place. If I was always playing tight pub stages with a low stage volume, I probably wouldn't consider the expense being worth the benefit.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Dil wrote back and pointed me to a few folks in L.A. who I can see. He is considering NAMM and will know soon if they'll be exhibiting. I said some encoutraging things about attending, although I'm sure he's already aware of the expense involved.

Despite my obvious convictions about the gear I use, I do keep my eye and mind open to other gear in the marketplace. Usually such exploration serves to confirm that I'm already using the best product for me, but I've also discovered some great gear and won't hesitate to make a change if it's better for me. The last thing I want is to be using something, and wishing I was using something else.

Bermuda
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

I have a Bum Chum and it with without doubt one of the best pieces of kit that I have ever owned.